California Mandatory Boater Card-1 year Report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I'm still boating six years from now, looks like another boating test for me unless senility overcomes. Not too worried ... aced the power squadron test eight years ago . Also, from past experience, California gun-purchase and driver's-license tests were easily passed too.

The California test has some real pertinent questions on it like how old do you need to be to operate a PWC and how long must a ski rope be.

The California test has some real pertinent questions on it like how old do you need to be to operate a PWC and how long must a ski rope be.

Looks like I'll need to research regulations irrelevant to me.

For reasons like this, I'll never live in California! They have gone bizerk with regulations rules, taxes and BS to make life miserable.

They site the same problems that all the other state have, yet they need to tell people what the heck to do.

Agree, it’s a horrible place. I am miserable. I just asked my wife, and she said she is as well.

I took the test and missed one question out of 60 on the final test and it was a stupid mistake. They try to get tricky by the way they ask the question which only has the affect of making no sense at all. I did one section each night and it took me about a week to finish. I don't feel as though I got anything out of it. After each section they have a test with about 10 multiple choice questions. When I finished the last section - 6 I think - I thought I was done. Ha ha, there was a 60 multiple choice test at the end. It's been a while so my numbers may be off but it was not a quick an easy one hour test. Over all there were probably 120 questions. Many stupid and easy but there were some esoteric questions about markers that I've never seen. Horn signaling and running lights. I think it was 6 parts with 10 multiple choice questions at the end of each section. Then a 60 question test at the end. If I was in my 30s I probably would have finished it in a couple of hours. I'm 62 and spent a full week on it. About 2 hours a night on each section. The final test took me about an hour. But I have my boating card. Whoopee!

Last edited:
Most states with water require a boaters card. I took the Oregon one a few years ago. If you ever were licensed, you can do it from memory. The Oregon test was all online. I didn't see any restriction on how often you could take the test. I think the emphasis was on the learning the information, not really pass or fail.

correct me if i'm wrong but i think you don't need the card if you are renting the boat! so put it in your spouse's name and pay $1 per year and no problem :)

We got a license law a couple of years back, it was mandatory, but not sure why.
The test was easy, taken online and immediately forgotten.
So I’ve got the license, a full sheet of paper, not a wallet card, so I’m not even real sure where it is anymore!
I’ve never been asked to produce said license for boat registration, state slip rental, coast guard boarding, insurance purchase, or any reason whatsoever.
Just another way for the state to spend our hard earned dollars on a program that has no purpose and no consequences.
Reminds me of the military, “No reason sailor, just policy”.

One trip to Lake Havusu will convince you as to why CA needs a boater card. Several trips will convince you as to bikini tops defy Galileo's tests from the apple tree.

So it's a short term knowledge test with no practical (actual operating) component, that earns you a card good for life. Well isn't that just great. :nonono: Maybe somebody should point out to the States that most boating accidents aren't caused by a lack of rule knowledge, but instead by intentionally not following the rules or the inability to actually operate the boat competently.

Ted

Is the Merchant Mariners Credential exempted from the CA card? Quite a bit of knowledge and sea time are necessary to earn the MMC. I assume the cards aren’t needed by drivers of giant container ships entering CA ports.

In many states an unlimited tonnage license does not exempt you. Still have to know how long a ski rope must be.

They aren't attempting to force knowledge on those who already have a little. As Sunchaser said, it's the kids, drunks, ski boat operators, etc. that are the target. If you look at drowning statistics, something like 95% are powerboats under 24' and in a large percentage of cases alcohol was a primary ingredient.

For reasons like this, I'll never live in California! They have gone bizerk with regulations rules, taxes and BS to make life miserable.

California is just doing what most coastal states have already done. They're actually being relatively lax, allowing many different options, including on-line testing, that some state's don't. I'm not saying it's good, just not out of line with other states.

Is the Merchant Mariners Credential exempted from the CA card? Quite a bit of knowledge and sea time are necessary to earn the MMC. I assume the cards aren’t needed by drivers of giant container ships entering CA ports.

Yes, commercial fishing licenses and MMC's are exempt in California. Even other STCW credentials.

Again without endorsing the concept, my take on these boater education requirements is that it forces every boater (or in the case of on-line courses, some friend or relative of every boater) to sit and think about how little knowledge and experience they really have.

It introduces them to the concept that there ARE rules out on the water; that it's not a free-for-all out there just because there are no stop signs, red lights or traffic lines.

Yes, they'll quickly forget a lot of the details. But they'll know that they don't know it all. From what I've seen out on the water, there is a lot of value in that.

I took the voluntary course in Alaska. Paid my $10 for my card.

In Washington, I sent in a copy of my Alaska card, with $10 and received a Washington Card.

mmmmmm $10 here, $10 there..something smells like rotten fish..

I took the voluntary course in Alaska. Paid my $10 for my card.

In Washington, I sent in a copy of my Alaska card, with $10 and received a Washington Card.

mmmmmm $10 here, $10 there..something smells like rotten fish..

Yeah, but you sent them your picture. You do look pretty Salty, but hide the AA!

Tennessee started a program a few years ago. Test is proctored at public libraries, etc. Required for operation of a motorized vessel, but exempted boaters born before 1989(?). Most questions involved safety equipment, alcohol restrictions, right of way, no wake zones, safe operation of a PWC. Most accidents in TN involve PWCs and young drivers.

For most prospective boaters these types of tests will be the only exposure to basic boating safety they will ever get.

Sheesh, what a bunch of whiners. Are you guys aware that almost every state now requires a boater safety license?
lawmap.jpg

Of the states that don't require one, AZ is heading that direction, AR doesn't have anyone that can read, ID, WY and SD don't have any lakes and AK's lakes are all frozen. That leaves only a couple of small states in the New England area and who gives a damn about them anyway? They're too busy being liberal to own boats.

Now go look out your window and gripe about the snow.

Last edited:
Sorry about the prior post. I just couldn't let ASD be the only pot stirrer!:hide:

The NJ test used to have the question “The most important knot is the ________?”
Ha, ha! :D
At least they required a proctored exam.

For most prospective boaters these types of tests will be the only exposure to basic boating safety they will ever get.

Exactly. We have a large amount of part time boaters in our area who could use the training. One example: We were sitting in a guest slip at a Marina awhile back and it felt like a car ran in to us. I scrambled up top and a guy sitting in a sailboat cockpit is staring up at me. Completely clueless as to how to operate the boat. T boned us good. I had to get on his boat and take his mainsail down to get him uncoupled. I walked over to the rental place to meet him after that. I was pissed, but kept my cool, but he was obviously embarrassed with his girlfriend present so it started to escalate from there. As far as I am concerned there should be license requirements to run a boat similar to a land based vehicles and that includes rentals.

Sorry about the prior post. I just couldn't let ASD be the only pot stirrer!:hide:

LOL Good try. RT still the head pot stirrer:eek:

These boating classes are useless in Alaska as you are on the wide open ocean or running in 3 inches of water going up a river at full speed.....But if you must, you can still take the online course.

Last edited:
As someone pointed at, even if you don't know the rules, there's a benefit to knowing that there are rules and its not just a matter of who gets there first.

Plus, its something that can be taken away to keep people off the water once they have proven their incompetence.

Its not a perfect system, but its better to have an imperfect system than none at all I think.

It does seem a little impractical to give the same test whether you are driving a jetski, or an 80 foot Nordhavn, but its something.

The most important reason for the card is the privilege that can be taken away if you screw up too badly.

Without that program, it is like not having drivers licenses that can be revoked. Sure you can still drive on a suspended license, but then the penalties can get pretty severe.

The NJ test used to have the question “The most important knot is the ________?”

That question was from the "ABC" book and exam, co-authored by the USCG Auxiliary and US Power Squadron, and based on NASBLA requirements. Over time, the section on knots was removed to make way for stuff like BUI rules, CO poisoning and other laws.

But for years, that question was still on the exam.

The most important reason for the card is the privilege that can be taken away if you screw up too badly.

Be careful what you ask for. Many states are calling it a "certification" or simply "education requirement." Once you've been "educated," it's a lifetime thing.

I always correct those who call it a "license." That would imply two things; a privilege which can be revoked on any meager excuse, and an on-going source of revenue for the state.

I'd personally rather not go down that path.

As someone pointed at, even if you don't know the rules, there's a benefit to knowing that there are rules and its not just a matter of who gets there first.

Plus, its something that can be taken away to keep people off the water once they have proven their incompetence.

Its not a perfect system, but its better to have an imperfect system than none at all I think.

It does seem a little impractical to give the same test whether you are driving a jetski, or an 80 foot Nordhavn, but its something.

Yes, the benefit is in knowing there are rules. But see above about the taking away part.

And since it's just a very basic introduction, mostly about the rules, I think it's perfectly appropriate to get everyone to the same starting point, regardless of what vessel they operate.

Again, the fallacy is thinking these classes are intended to teach you to operate a boat. They are not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom