Old 12-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #21
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post

I would also like to see the boating laws unified from state to state, much like most auto laws. For example, in one state it's an automatic no wake zone within 50' of a dock and in the next state it's within 150' of a dock. Boats travel from state to state just like cars and trucks.
I think the driving and boating rules are about equally normalized across the country. All the basic navigation rules are the International Rules, or minor variations for the Inland Rules. Then lots of state and local rules for both means of transport for more minor issues.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #22

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I think the driving and boating rules are about equally normalized across the country. All the basic navigation rules are the International Rules, or minor variations for the Inland Rules. Then lots of state and local rules for both means of transport for more minor issues.
I know the rule I quoted is true and the rules on PFDs (especially for children) are all over the place.

In some states, passing through a bridge opening is an automatic no-wake zone while in other states it's only a no-wake zone if it's marked.

And of course, in some states you have to have a safe boating certificate and in others, you do not. And not all certificates are recognized by all states.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #23
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
I know the rule I quoted is true and the rules on PFDs (especially for children) are all over the place.

In some states, passing through a bridge opening is an automatic no-wake zone while in other states it's only a no-wake zone if it's marked.

And of course, in some states you have to have a safe boating certificate and in others, you do not. And not all certificates are recognized by all states.
I don't disagree with the difference, and am just pointing out that there is a lot of variation from state to state in driving regs too. Other than the very basics, it's hardly uniform from state to state. Seat belt laws vary. Some are mandatory for all occupant, and some are only for kids under a certain age. Some might not even require them. Vehicle inspection requirements vary from none at all to very thorough inspections. Default speed limits for un-posted roads vary from state to state, and vary for different types of roads. License plate display laws very too, with some states requiring front and back, and others only requiring front plates. Any some don't seem to care how much you vanity frame obstructs vital info on the plate, like the state of issue, expiration dates, etc. And of course DUI laws vary from state to state, along with right on red laws, etc, etc.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #24
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by milt View Post
Took the online boat safety course from Boat US, FREE for members.

Are you saying the BoatUS course meets the new CA requirement?

-Chris
Old 12-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #25
Guru

City: Boston Area
Individual certifications for each state would make something like doing the Loop pretty complicated.

Also...does anyone know if you had a Captain's License, would that excepmt you from the need for a state certification ?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #26
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
USCG stats show that the vast majority of boaters who are involved in accidents do not have a boater safety card.
Of course, that is a meaningless statistic. CA is phasing in its requirement, but once fully phased in, then the opposite will be true: the vast majority of CA boaters who are involved in accidents WILL have a boater safety card.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #27
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Individual certifications for each state would make something like doing the Loop pretty complicated.

Also...does anyone know if you had a Captain's License, would that excepmt you from the need for a state certification ?
NJ which is one of the strictest does, but you have to have it on you even in the dingy or jet ski.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #28
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

-Chris
Yep, the Boat US course is customized for each state. Most of the info is universal, but where a state has different regs, its covered. I took the course a few weeks and now have my MS card.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #29
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
From the California Boater Card web site:

Quote:
According to California law the following persons are not required to have a boater card to operate a motorized vessel on California waterways:

- A person operating a rental vessel.
- A person operating a vessel while under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older who is in possession of a California Boater Card.
- A person who is a resident of a state other than California who is temporarily operating a vessel in California for less than 60 days and meets the boating requirements, if any, of his/her state.
- A person who is a resident of a country other than the United States who is temporarily operating a vessel in California for less than 90 days and meets the boating requirements, if any, of his/her country.
- A person operating a vessel in an organized regatta or vessel race, or water ski race.
- A person who is in possession of a current commercial fishing license.
- A person who is in possession of a valid marine operator license, for the waters upon which the licensee is operating, issued by the US Coast Guard, or who is in possession of a valid certificate issued pursuant to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended.
- A person who has successfully completed a boating course approved by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.
I also noticed that they're only grandfathering in prior education certificates for a limited time, and only since 2015:
Quote:
DBW will accept proof of passing a National Association of State Boating Law Administration (NASBLA) and California Division of Boating and Waterways approved-boater education course taken between Jan. 1, 2015 and Dec. 31, 2017. Persons who have passed an approved examination during this timeframe will have until Dec. 31, 2018 to apply for their California Boater Card to receive the “grandfathering” exemption regardless of their age. Older courses may not include recent state or national changes to navigation law.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:

Wifey B: Yes, it does. We've played around with some of those courses and tests and really impressed and glad states are adding them. No, it doesn't make everyone a good boater, but at least people are exposed to things that in the past they'd quickly say they'd never heard of or didn't know that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #31
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
CT will not accept an online course for its boating card. You must take a live course and a proctored exam.
Ditto. Nj has required a proctored exam since 1996. Reason being “anyone could be at the keyboard.”
The NJSP will generally accept state issued safety certificates from other states that are part of NASBLA.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #32
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:

In CT there was a limited period of time for anyone with a captain's license to simply obtain a safe boating card. Once that time passed you needed to take the safe boating course even if you had a captain's license.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
In CT there was a limited period of time for anyone with a captain's license to simply obtain a safe boating card. Once that time passed you needed to take the safe boating course even if you had a captain's license.
Wifey B: From DEEP: FAQs Certification

I quote:

If I have a valid U.S. Coast Guard Operating License, do I need a boating certificate to operate my boat (other than a personal watercraft)?
If you have a current master, mate, or pilot license issued through the U.S. Coast Guard, you do not need the Connecticut boating certificate to operate your boat. You must keep the valid license with you at all times. You cannot use the valid Coast Guard License to obtain your Connecticut boating certificate. You would have to take a boating course or provide us with proof that you have taken an approved boating course to obtain a Connecticut issued boating certificate.

So you don't need the safe boater's license if you have a valid Captain's license. Now it doesn't give you a CT boating card but you don't need one.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #34
Guru

City: Boston Area
Thanks to all who addressed my question. This forum rocks !!
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: From DEEP: FAQs Certification

I quote:

If I have a valid U.S. Coast Guard Operating License, do I need a boating certificate to operate my boat (other than a personal watercraft)?
If you have a current master, mate, or pilot license issued through the U.S. Coast Guard, you do not need the Connecticut boating certificate to operate your boat. You must keep the valid license with you at all times. You cannot use the valid Coast Guard License to obtain your Connecticut boating certificate. You would have to take a boating course or provide us with proof that you have taken an approved boating course to obtain a Connecticut issued boating certificate.

So you don't need the safe boater's license if you have a valid Captain's license. Now it doesn't give you a CT boating card but you don't need one.
Which like NJ proves the utter failure of beuracrats to easily resolve issues. Why one can get another no questions asked id rediculous.

like TWIC cards and Captains licences are notv
official ID documents for proof of citizenship, etc......no mattwr how hard they are to get.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #36

It seems odd and a bit unfair to require that a person actually sits in a class if he or she could pass the test from experience or self study. What seems important is that you know the answers, not how you obtained that information.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
It seems odd and a bit unfair to require that a person actually sits in a class if he or she could pass the test from experience or self study. What seems important is that you know the answers, not how you obtained that information.
Some states do and some don't. However, by your philosophy, then we wouldn't require drivers' training, wouldn't require teachers or lawyers or surgeons have degrees. We require coursework for many things.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: St. james city FL.
Vessel Name: White Pelican
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34' sedan 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

-Chris
Not at all, just saying I took the version for FL.
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Some states do and some don't. However, by your philosophy, then we wouldn't require drivers' training, wouldn't require teachers or lawyers or surgeons have degrees. We require coursework for many things.
I moved from one state to another and the DMV only tested my eyes and gave me a driver's license. No requirement for classes.

Some schools don't require students to go to all the classes, jut pass the test. And then there are home schooled children who never set foot in the classroom. What is important is what you know, not how you came to know it.

I don't think you quite understood my post.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #40
Guru

Yes, but every school I went to over a lifetime or 23 years of various military training sessions, more was learned out of the classroom than in it....

Taking a test and passing it is like looking at a subject through a straw.

Educaters know that and possibly why it is part of some states requirements.

Others cant change the test every day so testing out will be beat by those who will pay for just enough info to pass the test....from other who just took it.