California boating card

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why on earth do they not require it for rental boats? In our area rental boats are continuously involved in accidents. Most seasoned boaters in our area stay way far away from the rental pontoons and jet skis if possible.

Why on earth do they not require it for rental boats? In our area rental boats are continuously involved in accidents. Most seasoned boaters in our area stay way far away from the rental pontoons and jet skis if possible.

one word... $

HOLLYWOOD

In NJ the law and theory is jet skis are required to stay in a limited area and under supervision by a company ski guy, and boats have limited opareas.

Both groups are required to sit through a basic operators course prior to use.

Not sure how long the course is or if it is done correctly, but that is why the card isnt required as there is "some control" exhibited....supposedly.

so what happens in Washington if an Oregon boater ventures in WA waters ??

Most States that require a boater education card will except other State's cards. In fact, when we moved to WA from OR, I provided my Oregon card to get my new WA card. It still cost $10 dollars, but I didn't need to retake a test. Pretty much like getting a new drivers license in a new State. (I have had drivers licenses in 4 states. I have not taken the written test since I was 15 years old, or the driving test since I was 16) I also believe that Canada will except a US State issued boater education card while operating a boat in Canada.

The biggest issue with transferring cardsbetween states is...... is it a NASBLA approved course and was the final test proctored by a certified instructor.

So it's better to maintain the status quo where it's just fine to have zero knowledge of any aspect of boating, and anyone can operate any boat anywhere in any conditions at any speed?

Or are all of you who are against this actually proposing much more stringent rules that would require a thorough knowledge of nav rules, and demonstrated operator competency?

Or are you just opposed to it because it's a rule and rules are bad?

I'm 1000% in favor of these boating cards and having to take an approved course to get the card.

I took my first US Power Squadron course in MI when I lived there in the 60's. Since then I've taken the course 4 or 5 times. Every time I got a new girlfriend who was going to be on the boat I made sure she and I took the course together.

When we have guests on board who are not boaters and who don't have a card I often let them take the helm, but I'm standing right there watching like a hawk and making sure nothing bad happens.

+1 with the exception it cant be revoked.

In NJ, you get a DUI, you are supposed to turn in your boating card too...

Not sure if it gets done, but that is the law as I understand it...and vice versa if you get a BUI.

Interesting. I think in most states your privilege to operate a boat is revoked if you get a OUI on the road (and vice-versa.) But the way I understood it they can't "revoke" the fact that you've taken the course and passed the exam.

Be very leery of any state which goes down that path. Pretty soon someone will notice that they can charge a $397 "processing fee" to re-instate the card. Once they've established a new revenue stream from all those "rich" boaters, they may find other offenses to justify more revocations This would be a popular new tax with the majority of voters (most of whom aren't boaters.)

One of the first things I did when I bought my first boat was to take a boater's safety course...BoatUS, I think. I learned some things from it and keep books onboard to refer to as questions arise. I suspect most of us here practice due diligence in knowing and complying with maritime regs and safe practices.

I support reasonable priced training requirements to encourage wide-spread understanding and compliance with the laws and safe practices.

Interesting. I think in most states your privilege to operate a boat is revoked if you get a OUI on the road (and vice-versa.) But the way I understood it they can't "revoke" the fact that you've taken the course and passed the exam.

Be very leery of any state which goes down that path. Pretty soon someone will notice that they can charge a $397 "processing fee" to re-instate the card. Once they've established a new revenue stream from all those "rich" boaters, they may find other offenses to justify more revocations This would be a popular new tax with the majority of voters (most of whom aren't boaters.)
No they cant...but you need tbe card to operate a boat.

So if they confiscate it in NJ, you cant get it reinstated by anyone except the State Police.

Thus a major reason for having the requirement, someting to take away and punish you.

I guess once your BUI/DUI period has expired they give it back or issue a new one.

Last edited:
True...but before the issuance of some sort of card or license, what could an LEO do?Easy Peezy to see that.... why the hard sell that it will "educate people" when those of us in the business know better?

I am a relatively new boater (3 years) and, with my wife, have taken the basic and advanced Power Squadron courses. Every boat that we encounter we assume is going to do something stupid. I give way even when I clearly have the right of way. Inconvenient but adds a level of safety, I think. We are a slow boat so giving way doesn't make much of a difference in "getting there".

Last edited:
I am a relatively new boater (3 years) and, with my wife, have taken the basic and advanced Power Squadron courses. Every boat that we encounter we assume is going to do something stupid. I give way even when I clearly have the right of way. Inconvenient but adds a level of safety, I think. We are a slow boat so giving way doesn't make much of a difference in "getting there".

You have more formal education that I and I applaud that.

Be careful about giving way when you are the stand on vessel. You are correct in assuming that most you encounter on the water will be uninformed, but when you do encounter an informed captain, they will expect you as the stand on vessel to do exactly that, stand on.

I just received my Canadian boater cards. It seems I read the rules for boating and it said ALL operators need the card when in fact only if you stay over 45 days. Oh well not a complete waste of time. I now know more about hypothermia and this weird fixation that canadians have with buckets. [emoji16]

Last edited:
US residents with a state issued boaters card are excepted as proof of competency for Canada. Also any professional maritime license.
Boaters cards are only required for boaters staying more than 45 days.

Attachments

• Canada Boaters Card - SOR-99-53.pdf
    293.3 KB · Views: 30
  • canadian_boating_card.pdf
    134.4 KB · Views: 20
Yes...but always goving way when you shouldnt isnt the best answer either...

Gaining experience shows you the difference.

I took the Boat/US online course a few weeks ago. There was no charge for the course but the Division of Boating and Waterways will be charging a (small?) fee for the card. Cards will be available this fall according to their web site.

Being an optimistic sort of person I'm hopeful this new requirement will have positive effects. I don't have any illusions that it will solve all of the problems we've all encountered out there.

Another reason not to live in California, Another tax that will do absolutely nothing but take money out of peoples pockets.

Something like only 4 states don't require some form of certification.

California is late to the game and not as strict ad many.

For usually way less than $50, taking a one time course pales in comparison in that most Americans waste way more money on idiotic things...

Last edited:
I give way even when I clearly have the right of way. Inconvenient but adds a level of safety, I think.

I'd like to have a chat with the instructor who led you to believe that you ever have "right of way."

Actually, you are OBLIGATED under the rules to stand on (maintain course and speed) in certain situations. Failing to do so creates confusion which could lead to bigger problems.

To be fair, failing to act in time to avoid a collision, regardless of who is stand-on or give-way, is also a violation of the rules. So you're not 100% wrong there.

This is not directed at any poster...just open ended thoughts on the subject...

I often think that the time line between avoiding other vessels by taking "early action" and not standing on or giving way is not correctly stated in posts...as they are often just quips and not complete thoughts on the matter.

Because of the bazillion possibilities, there is no black and white...so its difficult to discuss nav rules in generalities.

Obviously in order to comply with the rules, a super tanker captain has to make decisions way in advance, where a jet skier can wait until the last second.

So avoiding other vessels can be pretty willy nilly at times, only experience and sea sense really determines whether actions are right or wrong.

This is not directed at any poster...just open ended thoughts on the subject...

I often think that the time line between avoiding other vessels by taking "early action" and not standing on or giving way is not correctly stated in posts...as they are often just quips and not complete thoughts on the matter.

Because of the bazillion possibilities, there is no black and white...so its difficult to discuss nav rules in generalities.

Obviously in order to comply with the rules, a super tanker captain has to make decisions way in advance, where a jet skier can wait until the last second.

So avoiding other vessels can be pretty willy nilly at times, only experience and sea sense really determines whether actions are right or wrong.

Excellent point!

Another reason not to live in California, Another tax that will do absolutely nothing but take money out of peoples pockets.

And if you believe in signs, everything in California causes cancer.

We have a pretty comprehensive system for automobile licensing and there are still lots of people on the road that drive like its their first time behind the wheel....so if something as thorough as the auto licensing process doesn't weed out the crazy people....a Power Squadron course or online test isn't going to either.

We have a pretty comprehensive system for automobile licensing and there are still lots of people on the road that drive like its their first time behind the wheel....so if something as thorough as the auto licensing process doesn't weed out the crazy people....a Power Squadron course or online test isn't going to either.

So it's better that boaters remain ignorant of navigation rules, safe practices, and operating techniques?

None of this is perfect, but don't boater cards move things in the right direction?

I don't think they will move things at all....nothing will change except limited resources being diverted from somewhere else.....some one has to run the program....and monitor the training....and maintain a database....... they'll be a new committee in the state government to monitor the program.... the person running the program will get a new office and a state car, and two admin assistants....and then fly to some other state for training.....

The spending on this will far far outweigh the benefits, and the money has to come from somewhere.....probably from somewhere boating related....so now fees at state marinas will go up.....boat ramp fees will go up....maybe they'll reduce the hours at the pump out stations..... boat registration costs will increase.... hmmm....we'll need to form a committee to see how big a committee will be needed to administer this program...

OK..so I was able to hold off on an anti-government rant for 53 posts.....I finally succumbed.

So many...so wrong.

In NJ, the process is almost 20 years old.

It hasn't changed much in that time.

The State gets like $15 to process the card. USCGAUX, Power Squadrons, and private companies tack on 30 to 50 dollars to teach the course and submit the paperwork to the NJ State Police.

That is the whole shooting match of costs.

So all this talk of new tax and costs is just what it is....yes the State usually breaks even for a minimal cost and some small companies earn a meager income teaching it....but some money grab?

Gimme a break....compared to Lotto tickets....chump change.

In California the Division of Boating and Waterways will issue the cards. DBW is fully funded by the tax on marine fuel and takes no money from the state's general fund. The collected funds are used for marine purposes, either through grants or loans. Typically the money is used for things like building, refurbishing and upgrading marina facilities. Other DBW-funded activities include boater education and invasive species control.

DBW is probably the only part of the California state government that works properly.

My $0.02 worth.

Three things that were informative to me when starting more serious boating a few years ago:
1. WA boaters card, Boat US online class. Might have been ~20 hours time in total. I would not have done it if not a requirement, but glad i did.
2. Riding in the wheelhouse as a passenger in a 100 ft tug (w barge in tow) from Seattle to Juneau. This gave me an entirely new mindset about navigation and how to conduct self in a seamen like fashion.
3. Reading about various nav / boat handling experiences here on TF.

In 2000 the YC I belong to put on a course to encourage members to get their Pleasure Craft Operator's Card. I was allowed to challenge the exam, so no fee was payable. My card is good for the rest of my life.

In Canada, everyone has to have one, to legally operate a Pleasure Craft with an engine. That includes renters, who qualify by satisfying the owner of the rental boat of their competence, so they get a "temporary" pass. It also includes foreigners, who qualify by either having their own equivalent to the PCOC, take and pass our test and get our card, or are operating their own boat and stay less than 45 days.

So all this talk of new tax and costs is just what it is....yes the State usually breaks even for a minimal cost and some small companies earn a meager income teaching it....but some money grab?

Gimme a break....compared to Lotto tickets....chump change.

Don't rain on folks anti-government rants. No one wants actual facts and information. Knee-jerk reactions are just so much more fun. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom