Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #21
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Ray, am I missing something? I don't see anything in what you put above that talks about proficiency in operating a boat, only that they can pass a test.

In WA you have to have a "Boater Safety Card" to operate a boat. Or at least someone on board must have one. No proficiency test required.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Just another "feel good" lib law that will have no effect.

The legislatures of WA, CA, and a bunch of other states just should have asked you before they wasted their time.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Without more research...Boat US states that you can get certified in CA for free if you do their online course.
I took & passed their course in 2010 and am a card carrying Boat US graduate! My grand son did the same thing at 13 years old. I think it's a good idea and its time has come. I actually learned a lot from the online course.

Edit: Sorry about the photo but I can't seem to straighten it out!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2651.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
So, why not manually-powered boats? Should they be condemned to ignorance?

Riding another (in this case my) boat's wave!! You're crowding me and limiting my ability to maneuver in order to cannibalize my boat's energy. Next time I'll make a 360-degree turn to port to avoid this guy.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Prescott
Vessel Name: JOURNEY
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
I doubt this will make Calif. any safer place to go boating. Wasn't it a couple of years ago that the Coast Guard, in San Diego ran over another boat. It is also going to be interesting to see if the law is enforced equally across the fleet. I doubt that they will stop a large yacht to see if the operator has a license, but bet they will stop me if I take my small trawler to San Diego Bay to enjoy. With an Unlimited Masters License, as well as a 100T Master of sail upon oceans.. I also doubt that anyone enforcing the law, has anywhere near those licenses.

I think it is a way for Jerry to get a bit deeper into the citizens pockets. With more people boating there are bound to be more accidents
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:29 AM   #26
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
It is usually free enterprise making the money, not the state.

In NJ, if you have a USCG license, you don't have to take the course, but have to carry your license like the card. No big deal now that we have passport like books, unless on a jet ski.

Even having a master's unlimited doesn't make someone a safer skipper....there are accidents and convicted masters at all levels.

With smaller vessels it is experience and attitude that mostly affects boating safety and yes, no short course will improve much.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #27
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I don't see what the negative side is regarding the requirement of having a boat licence. Sure, it would be better if there was a skill based exam for the type of boat you would be operating, but a basic licence card is a good first step.

We have a similar basic licence in South Australia, but without the loopholes. It is a requirement for any boat with an engine. Even a dinghy with a 2 hp outboard. Hopefully, in the future there will be a range of boat licences similar to what they have for motor vehicles and a practical test to ensure the operator can handle the boat safely. Our boat licence requires payment of a small fee (I think it was $20) but it lasts a lifetime unless it is taken away. Its all good.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:51 AM   #28

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I don't see what the negative side is regarding the requirement of having a boat licence. Sure, it would be better if there was a skill based exam for the type of boat you would be operating, but a basic licence card is a good first step.

We have a similar basic licence in South Australia, but without the loopholes. It is a requirement for any boat with an engine. Even a dinghy with a 2 hp outboard. Hopefully, in the future there will be a range of boat licences similar to what they have for motor vehicles and a practical test to ensure the operator can handle the boat safely. Our boat licence requires payment of a small fee (I think it was $20) but it lasts a lifetime unless it is taken away. Its all good.
Aussies should know the downside to taxes.. It's gotten crazy expensive just to breathe air there.

Boater ID card? No problem its a good idea but IMO should be free or just the cost of the card but it wont be and they'll want renewal fees/etc. Sure its just $10 here and there but it adds up.

So are they concerned about public safety or money grab?
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #29
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
A few points:

- Please don't call it a "license." A license can be revoked. A license can carry an annual renewal fee, which can turn into a cash cow. This is a one-time, proof-of-education card.

- The state probably won't make money on this. I haven't read the CA law, but usually the Power Squadron and CG Auxiliary courses, which are based on a national standard, are accepted. Often private businesses lobby the state to be included, too.

- Passing an exam doesn't make you a safe boater. Still, it forces people to understand that there ARE laws on the water, and more importantly, that they don't know it all. If every boater is exposed to those two concepts, we're all safer.

- On-line boater education is a joke. A kid can knock out cards for their whole extended family, and all their friends and neighbors, in a few hours. Still, it's usually an option because some powerful companies lobby the state to include their on-line courses as an option.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
A few points:

- Please don't call it a "license." A license can be revoked. A license can carry an annual renewal fee, which can turn into a cash cow. This is a one-time, proof-of-education card.

- The state probably won't make money on this. I haven't read the CA law, but usually the Power Squadron and CG Auxiliary courses, which are based on a national standard, are accepted. Often private businesses lobby the state to be included, too.

- Passing an exam doesn't make you a safe boater. Still, it forces people to understand that there ARE laws on the water, and more importantly, that they don't know it all. If every boater is exposed to those two concepts, we're all safer.

- On-line boater education is a joke. A kid can knock out cards for their whole extended family, and all their friends and neighbors, in a few hours. Still, it's usually an option because some powerful companies lobby the state to include their on-line courses as an option.
+1 with the exception it cant be revoked.

In NJ, you get a DUI, you are supposed to turn in your boating card too...

Not sure if it gets done, but that is the law as I understand it...and vice versa if you get a BUI.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:45 AM   #31
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Why on earth do they not require it for rental boats? In our area rental boats are continuously involved in accidents. Most seasoned boaters in our area stay way far away from the rental pontoons and jet skis if possible.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #32
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
Why on earth do they not require it for rental boats? In our area rental boats are continuously involved in accidents. Most seasoned boaters in our area stay way far away from the rental pontoons and jet skis if possible.
one word... $

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #33
Guru

In NJ the law and theory is jet skis are required to stay in a limited area and under supervision by a company ski guy, and boats have limited opareas.

Both groups are required to sit through a basic operators course prior to use.

Not sure how long the course is or if it is done correctly, but that is why the card isnt required as there is "some control" exhibited....supposedly.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #34
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
so what happens in Washington if an Oregon boater ventures in WA waters ??
Most States that require a boater education card will except other State's cards. In fact, when we moved to WA from OR, I provided my Oregon card to get my new WA card. It still cost $10 dollars, but I didn't need to retake a test. Pretty much like getting a new drivers license in a new State. (I have had drivers licenses in 4 states. I have not taken the written test since I was 15 years old, or the driving test since I was 16) I also believe that Canada will except a US State issued boater education card while operating a boat in Canada.
S41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #35
Guru

The biggest issue with transferring cardsbetween states is...... is it a NASBLA approved course and was the final test proctored by a certified instructor.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #36
Guru

City: Vermont
So it's better to maintain the status quo where it's just fine to have zero knowledge of any aspect of boating, and anyone can operate any boat anywhere in any conditions at any speed?

Or are all of you who are against this actually proposing much more stringent rules that would require a thorough knowledge of nav rules, and demonstrated operator competency?

Or are you just opposed to it because it's a rule and rules are bad?
Old 06-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #37
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I'm 1000% in favor of these boating cards and having to take an approved course to get the card.

I took my first US Power Squadron course in MI when I lived there in the 60's. Since then I've taken the course 4 or 5 times. Every time I got a new girlfriend who was going to be on the boat I made sure she and I took the course together.

When we have guests on board who are not boaters and who don't have a card I often let them take the helm, but I'm standing right there watching like a hawk and making sure nothing bad happens.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #38
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
+1 with the exception it cant be revoked.

In NJ, you get a DUI, you are supposed to turn in your boating card too...

Not sure if it gets done, but that is the law as I understand it...and vice versa if you get a BUI.
Interesting. I think in most states your privilege to operate a boat is revoked if you get a OUI on the road (and vice-versa.) But the way I understood it they can't "revoke" the fact that you've taken the course and passed the exam.

Be very leery of any state which goes down that path. Pretty soon someone will notice that they can charge a $397 "processing fee" to re-instate the card. Once they've established a new revenue stream from all those "rich" boaters, they may find other offenses to justify more revocations This would be a popular new tax with the majority of voters (most of whom aren't boaters.)
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
One of the first things I did when I bought my first boat was to take a boater's safety course...BoatUS, I think. I learned some things from it and keep books onboard to refer to as questions arise. I suspect most of us here practice due diligence in knowing and complying with maritime regs and safe practices.

I support reasonable priced training requirements to encourage wide-spread understanding and compliance with the laws and safe practices.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Interesting. I think in most states your privilege to operate a boat is revoked if you get a OUI on the road (and vice-versa.) But the way I understood it they can't "revoke" the fact that you've taken the course and passed the exam.

Be very leery of any state which goes down that path. Pretty soon someone will notice that they can charge a $397 "processing fee" to re-instate the card. Once they've established a new revenue stream from all those "rich" boaters, they may find other offenses to justify more revocations This would be a popular new tax with the majority of voters (most of whom aren't boaters.)
No they cant...but you need tbe card to operate a boat.

So if they confiscate it in NJ, you cant get it reinstated by anyone except the State Police.

Thus a major reason for having the requirement, someting to take away and punish you.

I guess once your BUI/DUI period has expired they give it back or issue a new one.