California boater interested in Great American Loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arroyojon

Just discovered this great forum. I recently learned about the Great American Loop and it sounds fascinating. Living in Southern California and a former Grady White owner, my offshore experiences have been trips to the Channel Islands. I’m nearing retirement and the Loop sounds like a great adventure. Not living on the East Coast, have any California boaters dealt with the logistics of the adventure? I realize I would need to purchase a boat on the East Coast. Are there dealers that specialize in Loop boats? I’m not sure of full retirement plans so want flexibility in terms of resale or keeping it if we decide to escape tax heavy California. We are several years off, but want to start thinking and researching it. When we got married 33 years ago, my wife and I decided whether we would be a ski or boating family and she agreed to boating, so I believe I have a head start on the selling job! Not asking about specific boats at this point, just looking for advice from people that don’t live on the Loop and how they made it happen.

Welcome aboard. Curtis Stokes seems to have a lot of trawlers listed for sale. I have not delt with them so I can’t make a recommendation either way.

Thank you. I will look into them. Cruise is still a way off, but trying to get up to speed. Nothing like the Great Loop on the West Coast!

Separately, I realized I double posted my question. Sorry for it.

Also a California boater (San Francisco) considering the great loop down the road. Loop sounds a lot like cruising the Sacramento Delta, which we enjoy. We are relocating to Florida and have a condo with a slip. Personally, I love the Bahamas.

We considered three options. First, selling our boat (Willard 36 Displacement Trawler) and buying a boat in Florida. Second, having our boat shipped to Florida (trucking is not practical). Third, taking her on her own bottom via Panama canal. We both enjoy central America and are both comfortable doing multi-day passages so decided on #3.

We seriously thought about selling our California boat and buying one in Florida, though would have been to head to Bahamas and places without many no-wake zones. It's just the two of us and our tastes are more mimimalist/simple. There were some older 35-foot offshore sport fishing type boats that caught my eye that could easily cruise economically at 15-20 knots and carried 300+ gallons of diesel. From St Pete FL, could get to the Dry Tortugas in a day (240 nms).

Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your journey!

We have had boats on the west coast and are back on the eastern half now. We have boated down the entire west coast except Alaska. However there isn’t anything like the Loop on the west coast. There are so many things to see and do. Endless places to stop. We have not done the entire Loop yet but have done 1400 miles and 75 locks. Had a blast so far.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom