Old 11-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
TRD
Veteran Member

City: Trussville
Vessel Name: Lady J
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Radar - cables and hook up

Before I start, I want to say, I know nothing about Radar and setting it up. In fact I don't even know enough to ask sensible questions . Now, with that said -- here I go:

A little background. I don't own a Trawler. I do own a Chris Craft Corinthian 380. I have been told it is a cross between a Trawler, Cruiser and a Houseboat. I am here because in the past, everyone has been very helpful.

I recently purchased a Radar/Chartplotter setup from an estate sale. It might be all a POS, but the price was right so I had to take the chance.

It is a Raymarine C120 along with the Dome, a DSM300 and a Furuno RD30. I have the C120 to Dome cable, but the end to the Dome has been disconnect and/or cut/.

I am looking for another cable or instructions on how to connect the one I have.

Would someone explain what the DSM300 actually does. I think I have figured out the function of the Furuno RD30.

Presently my boat is in dry dock as I paint the hull and do a few repairs. Once completed, I will be moving from Demopolis, Al on the Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway up to where it junctions the Tennessee River and back down to Guntersville, Al.

Thanks for any info

Terry
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
On the older Raymarine radomes the cable end at the dome did not have a plug but rather you open the dome and connect the wires to a terminal strip. I don’t remember the wires but there should be a large red and black that is 12 volts and ground. You need to get an owners manual from their website to get the correct way to hook it up. The DSM300 is the depth finder module. They had some problems with them if they were assembled in Mexico. They replaced mine that was about 8 years old due to that. Don’t know anything about the Furuno equipment.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Dms300 is the brain box for depth. You will need the correct Airmar Transducer in order to make it work. You can still find the manuals for C120 on line and that is were you should start.

Your radar cable should be a round multi pin plug on one end and just multi colored wires on the other end that go into a small white rectangular pin plug. Again, a C120 installation manual would show how to hook the radar back up. Now, the C120 is very old and I have not done one in over 15 years, not to mention I can’t remember the differences between it and the C120w. Most of what I remeber applies to the C120w and might not apply to a C120.

If you have just bare wires then you are missing one of the two plug ends.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
TRD
Veteran Member

Comodave, thanks for the reply. I see where the Red + and Black - wires (2 each) connect --- but there seems to be a flat type receptical about an inch or slightly larger. The cable has 4-5 small gauge wires (in addition to the red and black). It's the smaller ones I am trying to figure out.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
Guru

The Furuno
RD30 is a depth module that in no way works with the DMS300. As Comodave has alluded to, they had a high failure rate.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:14 PM   #6
TRD
Veteran Member

tiltrider1, thanks. I will start looking for manuals. I may be blowing good money over the system but I would like to see if it works.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
TRD
Veteran Member

Along with the RD30, I have the transducer for it. I have figured it out and if it doesn't work, no real heartburn.

What I am doing -- I am getting ready to head up the Tennessee Tombigbee Waterway. This body of water is heavy with commercial traffic and it is narrow with some sharp turns. I plan to do daylight marina to marina cruising. However, I must Lock 10 times and that could catch me in the dark. So I want to have a backup plan just in case. Once I reach my destination, I probable will never need Radar.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
Guru

I would get a 12v battery, wire the C120 to it then turn it on and see what you get. I would do this on the bench and not on the boat. If the C120 checks out then I would add the radar to see if it works. If you have success then buy a GPS with NMEA 180 output and add it to the system. If all this works then install it. I am going to recomend you not waste time with the DMS300, they are notorious for having intermittent problems.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
TRD
Veteran Member

I will need to get a power cable for the C120. It's a 3 prong connector and I probable could figure the connection but a cable would be safer
Old 11-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
On the older Raymarine radomes the cable end at the dome did not have a plug but rather you open the dome and connect the wires to a terminal strip. I don’t remember the wires but there should be a large red and black that is 12 volts and ground. You need to get an owners manual from their website to get the correct way to hook it up. The DSM300 is the depth finder module. They had some problems with them if they were assembled in Mexico. They replaced mine that was about 8 years old due to that. Don’t know anything about the Furuno equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
I will need to get a power cable for the C120. It's a 3 prong connector and I probable could figure the connection but a cable would be safer

Ebay usually has power cables and various parts for these.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #11
TRD
Veteran Member

I just ordered 1 on ebay --
Old 11-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #12
TRD
Veteran Member

Let me ask another question! What is Seatalk?
Old 11-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Seatalk is a Raymarine propriety bus. Back then some things only used Seatalk if I remember correctly.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:28 PM   #14
Guru

Seatalk, not to be confused with Seatalk ng. Or Seatalk hs, is essentially NMEA 0183 only the commands have been doctored just enough that it doesn’t work with NMEA 0183. The beauty of Seatalk was you just plugged the cable in and it worked, you didn’t have to worry about hooking up ins and outs and plus and minuses. Great way to get a Raymarine plotter to Talk to a Raymarine autopilot. In the C120 days the Raymarine autopilot was called Autohelm.