Old 08-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #21
City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Boomarang
Vessel Model: Fales 30
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Groco makes a "safety seacock" that comes with a flush adapter to form a conceptual T... and I'd guess garden hose pressure could flush in both directions. We've only used ours to flush in the direction of the ACs and overboard from there...
A variation on the Groco "safety seacock" concept is to install a bronze 'T' (lengthwise) directly to the existing seacock with a short nipple. Install a removable plug in the topmost end of the 'T' directly inline with the seacock bore. Connect the strainer directly to the 'T' with another short nipple, or to hose barb and hose if farther away. Finally, install an inline ball valve on the pump side (outlet) of the strainer.

To flush, close the seacock, close the strainer outlet valve, remove the plug and replace with a hose adaptor, attach a water hose, open the seacock, turn on the water hose and blast away. Reverse when complete.

An added advantage is that by closing strainer outlet valve, you can clean the strainer basket without losing losing prime to the pump. It can even be used theoretically to circulate or inject coil cleaner using the a/c circulating pump, but that's another subject entirely.

M/V Boomarang
LarryM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #22
City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
I was thinking more of adding a tee to the outlet from the strainer. Then a valve on the end going to the a/c and a valve to the other side of the tee. When strainer gets clogged you just shut off the a/cs and pump, shut off the valve supplying water to the a/c pump, connect a water hose to the other tee and open that valve, then run water backwards through the strainer. Think that would work?
If you're in an area that frequently clogs the strainer it might be worth doing.

Yep, you could install the Groco thing on either side of the strainer. Ours happens to be on the thru-hull side, partly because that was the easiest place to put it in our installation.

OTOH, I've not had much luck with that being the best way to clean the strainer. I've invariably had to open it up and remove the basket...

South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #23
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
strainer clean out

I have had good results sticking a garden hose into the strainer to unclog an obstruction in the hull inlet. I use a rubber coated nozzle at the end of the hose, unscrew the strainer lid (not much water comes out since the inlet is clogged), jamb the rubber coated nozzle into the inlet side of the strainer, then turn on the water and it seems to blast out the obstruction pretty quickly.

Obviously this only works with a clog and not barnacles or other clingy stuff.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member
City: Jarrettsville, MD.
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30' Rumrunner
I was in little chop tank river, slaughter creek this past week and ran my generator for 14 hours when it over heated. I found four jelly fish and a load of sea grass jammed up the strainer and inlet pipe. The strainer was easy to clean, the inlet pipe was not. They used a 3/4" street L which really restricks flow with any obstruction. I dinghy into marina to barrow a hanger to try and remove grass from 3/4" inlet pipe before the strainer. I disconnected the 3/4" hose at the generator pump and back washed the entire line. If I ever change out the through hull I would go to a 1"line. I will also check the strainers daily if I use them that often in the future.

I did add a brass tee and brass hose cap just before my A/C strainer for easier winterizing. It would have come in handy if it was on the generator inlet pipe. I guess the only problem would be if it was so clogged it pressurized the strainer itself? The plastic sea bowl would not take a lot of pressure.
Grass is a pain in the ass and the jelly fish are bad this year.
jskinner30PII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #25
City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I bought one similar to this to carry on the boat.
It has several tips to fit (home) toilet, pipes, strainer, etc.

Jellyfish are a problem around here sometimes clogging strainers. We haven't had a clog yet maybe buying the set was good insurance.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #26
City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I've run a bottle brush right thru the open seacock with great success.
Magic, 1996 Grand Banks Europa
Westport, CT and Stuart, FL
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #27
City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
Can you provide a little more detail as to how this works (i.e., is attached to the boat)? We've never had an issue with our main engine and AC intakes, as they are deep in the hull, near the keel, but we've had numerous issues with our generator clogging, as the intake is located closer to the waterline. I've been trying to come up with ideas, as we have a lot of hydrilla and sea grass this time of year. Last year, we had the genny clog, overheat and shut down three times in one weekend. Unfortunately, by the time it overheats and shuts down, the impeller is usually toast and also has to be replaced. If others have ideas, would love to hear them. So far, we have considered going with a larger strainer (which just means more time before it is full) and/or installing a strainer/clam shell on the outside of the hull at the intake, but that will require a haulout.
He has a clamshell strainer on the outside of his hull, he hooks one end of the bungie in it, then hooks the other end through a couple of the holes in the colander. The pressure of the bungie holds it tight against the hull. The surface area of the colander is enough that it doesn't plug with grass.

I had a similar problem with the inlet on my Genset at our favorite Bahamas anchorage. All through the incoming tide the genset would clog with grass every 30 minutes or so. Last haulout I installed a clam of the hinged kind from Groco, I got it from Parks. It works perfectly.

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote

a/c, sea strainer