Old 04-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Sandy at Sandy Hook, NJ???

Bringing the boat south to NJ Monday and, since I have a 40 mile ocean run to my inlet, I am looking for suggestions in case the weather forces a layover behind Sandy Hook.

Dave
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #2

RE: Sandy at Sandy Hook, NJ???

Barnegat Inlet. *We've had such bad wind right up the coast that even our day-boat scallopers have been staying home! *It looks like we will hit showers but probably not the winds we have today in which case it's only a 6 hour run to home from Sandy Hook.

Dave
Old 04-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Guru

I second the Highlands. Been there before and I liked it.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Dave.* Atlantic Highlands is a good choice as it is protected from the West wind which can be rough in Raritan Bay.

If the wind is light or from the East we usually just anchor behind the Hook.* There is a cove which is well off the channel, but you*have to watch the fish nets and*I doubt if you will want to mess around with your new vessel.

It does save time to anchor, as you can leave early and be down the beach before the afternoon chop.** Again no big deal in your boat.

Take care and have a nice trip.** JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I checked out Atlantic Highlands and it looks like it'd be as good as you say. Hopefully we can go right down the East River and out to sea, but it's always nice to have a Plan B.

Dave
Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Guru

FYI Carl,* Dave is from Barnegat Light and he knows well that Barnegat Inlet can be much worse than Manasquan, given the same conditions.

Local knowledge is the key and the commercial guys know it best!

JohnP
Old 04-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #7

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

Dave

You should look at your route plan and compare it to what you see on ActiveCaptain.com to read what is said about the Sandy Hook area - both anchorage and dockage. Great resource for trip planning.

R.
ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

Sandy Hook, NJ.**

I took these pics from my sister's house in Atlantic Highlands. Hope they can help you.*** *KJ
Attached Thumbnails
sandy hook  nj.jpg   sandy hook  nj.c.jpg   sandy hook  nj.b.jpg  
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #9

Yes I use ActiveCaptain and it is a great resource. I have a lot of years coming and going in Barnegat Inlet so I'm familiar with it and with the shortcuts that can save a lot of time especially when things are rocking and rolling. Gotta go catch a train to Rhode Island!

Thanks for the input,
Dave
Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Ken - Those pictures from your sisters' house put everything in perspective. Wow, what views! She must get some show watching the weather patterns over that large of an expance. Did she live there during 9/11?
*Yes, she has lived there since the 70's. I would stop at her her house quite often on my way down to the shore to go surfing. I never got tired of the view.* My daughter actually worked for the Park Service at Sandy Hook. We got private tours of the Nike missle installations (decomissioned) there.*

When I was a kid we took our Sea Scout boat down to Sandy Hook and promptly grounded the vessel on one of the many sand bars in the area. The Coast Guard had to come out to tow us off.* When we tied up to their dock their Captain jokingly (?) suggested that we think about*joining the Boy Scouts instead.

No one was at*my sister's*house when*9/11 happened, but both my brother-in-law, and*my nephew*were working on the roof of a building just across the river and saw the whole thing go down.* My nephew*had a pair of mini binoculars with him and saw the people *jumping out of the windows.* He says he still has nightmares about it.*

Whenever I go back east, I always make a point to visit Ground Zero and say some prayers, but you know what, I still get pissed off.****

And yes, I am still proud to be an American!*** KJ
Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
KJ wrote:Old Stone wrote:
Ken - Those pictures from your sisters' house put everything in perspective. Wow, what views! She must get some show watching the weather patterns over that large of an expance. Did she live there during 9/11?
*Whenever I go back east, I always make a point to visit Ground Zero and say some prayers, but you know what, I still get pissed off.****

And yes, I am still proud to be an American!*** KJ

*Thank you Team 6!********** KJ
Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #12

Well we decided to brave the storms we had yesterday and get our butts home so we ended up out in the Atlantic for 45 miles down Barnegat Light. *We did a bit of rocking and rolling but the new boat handled it well. *Attached is a shot of us clearing the inlet and*coming into port.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
bfg pulling in.jpg   bfg inside inlet.jpg  
Old 05-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
Guru

Welcome Home!,* I would not have gone yesterday in our little boat, but your vessel is another story altogether.

Where to next?** Enjoy the Honeymoon.

John and Miri