Old 10-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Propane not turning on stove....Trident system installed

So last week I go to turn on the stove to my newly acquired Willard and the darn thing doesn't turn on. I check, 12 volt turned on, propane tank opened 100 psi showing on the valve body (pre solenoid) sniffer on, with panel switch showing green....Still nothing. So I double check, add 1.4 gallons of propane and re attach tank to system. Now showing 110 psi at the gauge pre solenoid. Nothing at the stove.

Now, how many have had solenoids go bad? Have you taken them apart, cleaned and put back together to have working again? What do you clean the parts with? I am assuming that this really is the only thing it could be as the sniffer is showing red (on) and the panel is lit green. The only moving part in the whole system is that darn solenoid. When I switched my last system on you could hear the solenoid turn on (open) this one not so.

Thanks for the help.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Can you hear the solonoid when switching on? It will click. If not it may need to be cleaned or replaced.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I think replacing the solenoid is the safer option if you determine that it is defective.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Try jumping power to the solenoid to see if it works...if it does...then check all your connections...

Not sure I would pull apart a solenoid as when they fail...they are't all that easy to fix permanently...temp yes..but how long till you are at it again.

At $23...buy a couple

AFC High Pressure Multi-Purpose Shutt-Off Valve model 151
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Guru

I removed the guts, cleaned and 're installed. Still nothing...than removed the guts and the stove worked. I will be checking for power and connections. It probably needs replacing.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: Here
Don't play with propane ! Yes you should be able to hear the solenoid click.
Do not try to repair it, a new one can be had for $20. What is your safety worth.
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
Guru

No body is playing with propane here. Please don't get that idea! There are actually instructions with the solenoid on how to disassemble, clean any debris and re assemble the unit. I did just that, tested my thought that it was bad by removing the plunger and allowing the system to fill w/o the solenoid engaged/"on". I have successfully identified that it is either wiring related or a bad unit. I will be working on those two potentials and contacting the manufacturer tomorrow as they have had a few recalls and this might be in the recall batch. I understand and appreciate propane and it's proper use, just as I appreciate my boat and it's proper use. I'll report back my findings in the new few days.
Cheers!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #8

City: Bohemia
Happened to me. I by passed the sniffer and the stove worked. I replaced the sniffer.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
............. I have successfully identified that it is either wiring related or a bad unit..............
It would have been far simpler and productive to check the wiring before taking the solenoid apart. You may have ruined a perfectly good solenoid.

Put your voltmeter on the two terminals and turn the switch "on". You should get a reading of 12 volts DC (more or less). If you do, the solenoid is defective and needs to be replaced. If you don't, there is a problem with your boat's wiring that needs to be fixed. There is a fuse or circuit breaker for this circuit and that's where you should start.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
Guru

Thank you Ron, however please read my post. There were instructions on how to disassemble the solenoid to ensure it was free of any debris. Why would a manufacturer include those instructions if it wasn't meant to be broken down. That's part of the diagnosis process. I had the tools on hand and it was an easy process. Maybe not all solenoids are designed to be broken down, cleaned and re installed. Saying something maybe ruined by taking it apart is pure speculation.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
Guru

I worked for a company that manufactured solenoids. Nothing wrong with taking it apart cleaning and reassembling. Just make SURE to test it afterward to make sure it is sealing when it's de energized.
Then check it a second time and you'll be fine.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
Guru

I looked for this this morning and couldn't find on the net, for anyone that would like to know what the inside of a Trident Solenoid looks like,

Old 10-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
Guru

In addition, I found this recall

http://newcontent.westmarine.com/con...as_Systems.pdf

After speaking with Trident I found out that the plunger tip was made with rubber. When the rubber tip comes into contact with any oil such as oil that maybe present in propane the tip expands. This can cause two things to happen, either one the system stays open or two the magnet isn't strong enough to pull the stopper out enough to open the valve. I have a call into Trident to find out what they're recommending as mine was close to the date code issued for recall.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Looks like something I can buy off the shelf at Grainger or Johnstone Supply. Thanks for the photo

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #15
Guru

I spoke to the manufacturer and they are sending me a replacement. After further discussion I found out the unit in question is only about four years old. That after use the magnet starts to lose it's holding power. (Not sure why but I am no engineer). I find it funny that some get 20 plus years out of their old system. Heck I just sold a boat with the original system in it from 1980 and still working great. And how we get reports of some failing within a year or two of install. Soft rubber, oil, plunger just doesn't work together either. I'll install in the new unit and report back.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #16
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
i find it funny that some get 20 plus years out of their old system. Heck i just sold a boat with the original system in it from 1980 and still working great. And how we get reports of some failing within a year or two of install. Soft rubber, oil, plunger just doesn't work together either.
Made in China....
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #17
Guru

It should not lose its holding power. Ours never did unless the coil failed, then it wouldn't work at all, they never got weak.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #18
Guru

Sounds like the coil failed. I'll install new one as soon as it arrives. Hopefully in a few days.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
....... That after use the magnet starts to lose it's holding power. (Not sure why but I am no engineer). .......
I would not expect to find a magnet in a solenoid, just a coil and an armature.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #20
FF
Guru

Propane while a great stove or reefer fuel does have junk/dirt in it.

The easiest way to clean the fuel is with an inline T and a pipe nipple pointing down to have a place for the gunk to drop.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote