Buying new Anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally added Avatar!

I ordered 65# Mantus, now on to studying new radar/ GPS systems, lots of research time. Thanks for everybody input.

I ordered 65# Mantus, now on to studying new radar/ GPS systems, lots of research time. Thanks for everybody input.

I think you're going to love the Mantus. We love ours. One caution. The shanks on Mantus anchors are longer than other comparable weight anchors. When we tried to put ours on the roller the first time, the longer shank caused the chain to whip off the windlass as it broke across the roller. (I know, it's hard to visualize). Anyway, the owner of the company said that was the first time he'd ever seen that problem. We came up with a simple fix that works like a charm. If you have that problem, contact me and I'll share the fix.

Holy Crap!!!

I just got in my 65# Mantus Holy crap what a Big Ass Anchor!!!! Wow!! I don't think this anchor will ever break free, almost afraid to use it. People talk about possible bending of the shank, hell I could jack my house up with this piece of steel. Somebody said they painted theirs to reduce thief, I thought about painting it, but the weight along should prevent thief. I am glad it is bolted together, makes it easier to move, just don't drop any pars overboard!!:eek:

Attachments

• Mantus1.JPG
    Mantus1.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Mantus2.JPG
    Mantus2.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 65
I am a newbie, spent days reading data and posts. I have a 44' 30,000# (dry) Gulfstar trawler, came with old 45# CQR and a new Fortress 37. Planning on buying a Mantus anchor, don't know what size, have check makers chart, buts there's real life. I am thinking 45 , 55 or 65#. What's the pros and cons. Don't know where I will be cruising yet, but could be the Caribbean.

For 10 yrs, I had a 65 lb. ( real ) CQR ( all 3/8 chain ) on my former 40' 13 ton sailboat. That piece of s**t failed to set first time 50% of the time and in a crowded anchorage that's an embarrassment. I'm done with CQR's !!! This time around on our trawler, I have gone with a BIG spade and I am very very pleased with this anchor. It sets first time ! - every time ! and holds !.

my .02 CAD FB

I just got in my 65# Mantus Holy crap what a Big Ass Anchor!!!! Wow!! I don't think this anchor will ever break free, almost afraid to use it. People talk about possible bending of the shank, hell I could jack my house up with this piece of steel. Somebody said they painted theirs to reduce thief, I thought about painting it, but the weight along should prevent thief. I am glad it is bolted together, makes it easier to move, just don't drop any pars overboard!!:eek:
Those pics show the clear concave/convex difference between Mantus and Sarca. Interesting.

Size

Ex-sailor, what size did you buy, and type? My boat came with 45#CQR, but I have not anchored 5 times with no real winds. I just read on the Forum what I really needed when I get into real water.

Ex-sailor, what size did you buy, and type? My boat came with 45#CQR, but I have not anchored 5 times with no real winds. I just read on the Forum what I really needed when I get into real water.

I also had an original CQR on my 40' sailboat. I had a 45lb anchor and it performed OK but not great. My sailboat weighed about 21,000. A CQR is not a bad anchor, but there are newer designs that I think are better. I went with a 60 lb. Sarca Excel.

I also had an original CQR on my 40' sailboat. I had a 45lb anchor and it performed OK but not great. My sailboat weighed about 21,000. A CQR is not a bad anchor, but there are newer designs that I think are better. I went with a 60 lb. Sarca Excel.

The CQR came to life in the early 1930s, time to move on. And they live up to their name..... they plow, sometimes across the anchorage

The CQR came to life in the early 1930s, time to move on. And they live up to their name..... they plow, sometimes across the anchorage

In my experience with a CQR, which was similar to yours, (I now use a S-Sarca), that sort of behaviour is more a feature of the damned shank hinge, so it just flops over and bounces along on its side. If they do dig in (ie set) - the operative word - then they hold about as well as any other plow shaped anchor - at least until the next tide turn, that is...but getting them to set - that's the thing... :facepalm:

If you ain't got a claw
You've got quite a flaw
Doo-wop, doo-wop, doo-wop!

Sorry Al,
I'll pass on the Quad Claw.

Al I went back to Nomad Willy. BeterB made me do it.

Sorry Al,
I'll pass on the Quad Claw.

Al I went back to Nomad Willy. BeterB made me do it.

Now, now, Eric. 'Made' is perhaps a bit strong a word. But Nomad Willy does suit far better, doesn't it. :D

Strong word yes but it pulled you out of the Kelp bed. Yes it was your sage suggestion. I think you're right too. Nomad Willy is more proper and I probably don't have any more boats now than I have anchors. Sold one the other day.

You guys w the Mantus's ... I suspect the bolt ends and nuts and shank flange end could stop some mud from passing by and create a bug mass of impacted mud clogging the throat of the anchor. Something the SARCA would be very very unlikely to do. Just throw'in that out.
And if you use a trip line I'd route it under the back of the roll bar.

Last edited:
I think all of us anchor nuts have to realize there are now a fair number of good functional units out there much like the modern family car. Some may be a little better or worse at certain things but almost all are quite competent at what they do. The brand name is not the thing. The modern crop of good functioning anchors set well and hold with high reliability compared to some of the old school stuff. So a M5 Bimer will out preform my Toyota SUV so what does that mean to me driving in a 25 M/Hr. zone down to the supermarket? If it where possible to know which is the absolute best that would be nice but not likely and what does it matter if what's on your bow is more than competent for the job. I think what is important is to define what is not competent and what is competent since it is unlikely anybody is going to concede to a king of the hill and tomorrow just around the Conner there is going to be a new challenger with a little tweak here or there claiming superiority.

Now, now, Eric. 'Made' is perhaps a bit strong a word. But Nomad Willy does suit far better, doesn't it. :D

I agree Peter:flowers:, Much better sounding and fitting as well.:)

Al

Forgotten in the ongoing anchor chatter of nuts, bolts, shank angle, slots, roll bars, width, tip penetration, go pro images and other fun asides is:

Weight.

Yes that old fashioned notion that bigger is better. Whatever sins my current anchor may have were addressed by using one size up. My old right sized Bruce did OK, the heavier one size up Vulcan even better.

:popcorn:

My 80# Manson Supreme is one of the very few bow mounted anchors in my marina that ever gets wet other than from rain :thumb:

Forgotten in the ongoing anchor chatter of nuts, bolts, shank angle, slots, roll bars, width, tip penetration, go pro images and other fun asides is:

Weight.

Yes that old fashioned notion that bigger is better. Whatever sins my current anchor may have were addressed by using one size up. My old right sized Bruce did OK, the heavier one size up Vulcan even better.

:popcorn:

Good point. Half the time I think my anchor is nothing more than decoration for the chain which is what actually holds my boat in place.

I think all of us anchor nuts have to realize there are now a fair number of good functional units out there much like the modern family car. Some may be a little better or worse at certain things but almost all are quite competent at what they do. The brand name is not the thing. The modern crop of good functioning anchors set well and hold with high reliability compared to some of the old school stuff. So a M5 Bimer will out preform my Toyota SUV so what does that mean to me driving in a 25 M/Hr. zone down to the supermarket? If it where possible to know which is the absolute best that would be nice but not likely and what does it matter if what's on your bow is more than competent for the job. I think what is important is to define what is not competent and what is competent since it is unlikely anybody is going to concede to a king of the hill and tomorrow just around the Conner there is going to be a new challenger with a little tweak here or there claiming superiority.

Eye, I'm curious what anchors you use yourself, on your Devlin. Same question for Willy. You guys are obviously students of all things anchors.

That's great. Worth reading again. I love the analogy of the BMW and the HP anchor. Over 99% of anchors are performing like a CQR going to the Safeway store. That's why we see so many old anchors. I could do the running around I do in a 1950 Plymouth and even more comfortably. But there's very few old Plymouths left and lots of anchors.
Thanks eyeshulman.

That's great. Worth reading again. I love the analogy of the BMW and the HP anchor. Over 99% of anchors are performing like a CQR going to the Safeway store. That's why we see so many old anchors. I could do the running around I do in a 1950 Plymouth and even more comfortably. But there's very few old Plymouths left and lots of anchors.
Thanks eyeshulman.

Yes, his is an excellent point. The PO of my boat used it a lot and never had any problems with his undersized CQR copy. Not sure how much anchoring he did. That same anchor worked fine for me until I replaced it. As I mentioned before, lots of times the anchor is superfluous to my chain in many of the quiet anchorages that I use. However, I wanted to improve my piece of mind factor and get and anchor that would hold better and set faster.

So far my worst situation was being on a stern tie with a steeply sloping bottom and then have the wind come up on my beam at night. I was happier that I had a bigger, better anchor for that.

Don't jump into a new one until you know how your current rig works. If you are new to all this, get a lot of anchoring nights under your belt before throwing a lot of money at a "problem" that may not even exist...

All I am saying is... Take your time to figure it out and don't go racing to spend a ton of money on something you might not even need to spend.

Yes! What he said! I have a 33kg Rocna and love it, but it came with the boat.

Last edited:
Buying new Anchor

UGH , an anchor is like a windshield wiper , a replaceable item.

As you cruise loosing an anchor will happen , just as running aground will happen.

If your windlass and deck hardware (bow roller) are up to cruising a set of 60's , most anything will be just fine .

Danforth and CQR would be my first choices as many are available used and will fit many bow rollers.

While a $25 a pound watch fob might be great yacht club bragging rights ,

thousands of boats have probably spent millions of nights world wide on either choice.

Sadly gents , here , Size Does Matter.

Last edited:
FF,
I saw a 65lb Navy anchor on CL.
So size x 5 is possible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom