Old 01-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Marina del Rey
Vessel Name: Ho'okipa
Vessel Model: 2007 Selene 43
Tigs,

We have a summer house on Lake Champlain in Westport, NY. I suspect that's one of the Marinas you are looking at as there's a lot of Quebecers there. We also have a small Bayliner there. I might be interested in renting you a mooring ball if you tell me the size of your boat. FYI, it would be just the ball and no electric or water.

May I suggest you call Larry & Lane Carrol at the Westport Marina to see what they suggest you do. They know everything, everybody, and are just really nice people. here's their # 518-962-4356

Salute!

~Lucky Chucky

Lucky Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #22
JLD

City: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigs View Post
That's what I was thinking also, Lake Champlain is like 80% Canadian boaters. Those Canadian license plates are mostly from owners that bought boats from a Canadian dealer but the boat was delivered to the US hence those Canadians don't pay Canadian taxes on the boat nor US taxes because the boat goes back into storage on the Canadian side. The boats can return back into Canada for storage or guarantee maintenance if they cross back into Canadian waters for any other reason they will pay sales tax on the boat.
I am somewhat confused by this paragraph? My understanding was that any boat sold by a dealer in Canada was subject to Canadian tax. My understanding was that Canadian boats sold by individuals and delivered to the US, there was no Canadian taxes due. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

On the US side, the state taxes would be paid wherever the boat was registered. THE ONE THING YOU HAVE TO DO IS GO TO THE INTERNET SITE OF THE INDIVIDUAL STATES AND SEE WHAT THEIR SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS ARE!

Some states require you to register a boat in that state if it is used in the state for a specific period of time. Used may, or may not, be defined as actually usage and in the water ready to be used.

As noted previously, some states (or counties within the state) also have personal property taxes. Don't know if that applies in NY or Vermont, but worth checking on.

Jim

JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Chucky View Post
Tigs,

We have a summer house on Lake Champlain in Westport, NY. I suspect that's one of the Marinas you are looking at as there's a lot of Quebecers there. We also have a small Bayliner there. I might be interested in renting you a mooring ball if you tell me the size of your boat. FYI, it would be just the ball and no electric or water.

May I suggest you call Larry & Lane Carrol at the Westport Marina to see what they suggest you do. They know everything, everybody, and are just really nice people. here's their # 518-962-4356

Salute!

~Lucky Chucky
I have been to westport marina, it's a great place, but we are looking at Gaines Marina right near the border or Mallets Bay. Thanks much for the info.
Tigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
I am somewhat confused by this paragraph? My understanding was that any boat sold by a dealer in Canada was subject to Canadian tax. My understanding was that Canadian boats sold by individuals and delivered to the US, there was no Canadian taxes due. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

On the US side, the state taxes would be paid wherever the boat was registered. THE ONE THING YOU HAVE TO DO IS GO TO THE INTERNET SITE OF THE INDIVIDUAL STATES AND SEE WHAT THEIR SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS ARE!

Some states require you to register a boat in that state if it is used in the state for a specific period of time. Used may, or may not, be defined as actually usage and in the water ready to be used.

As noted previously, some states (or counties within the state) also have personal property taxes. Don't know if that applies in NY or Vermont, but worth checking on.

Jim
Let me clear up the paragraph, when a Canadian buys a new boat from a Canadian dealer he or she has to pay both federal and provincial taxes if he does his boating in Canada. But the boat can be delivered in the US and as such he doesn't have to pay the taxes seeing no boating will be done in Canada. The boat can return back into Canada for only guarantee maintenance work or winter storage. The term is called an "inbound" boat. He can decide several years latter to come back to Canada and then the taxes will be paid per the value of the boat at that time.

Thanks for the info I will definitely go to the Vermont and NY web sites to see whats involved in both states when registering a boat.
Tigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #25

City: Scottsdale
What would the tax and registration implications be for a live aboard trawler boat bought in the US by a US citizen who takes the boat to Canada for summer usage. The boat would spend most of it's time in Canadian waters (Great Lakes) year round.
Willcocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:53 AM   #26

City: Chattanooga
As a Canadian that bought a Grand Banks 42 in the US and kept it there, this is what I did. First after purchasing the boat I transferred and registered the vessel in Canada under the Canadian Register of Vessels (the boat does not need to be in Canada to do this). This Registers it with Transport Canada and gives is a port of registry and name (cost is $250). It is now a Canadian Vessel. You pay no taxes until you cross the border into Canada with the boat. Customs will then Tax you on the purchase price, make sure you have the bill of sale. Foreign-flag vessels without a cruising license(which you can't get until you leave the US and re-enter), which are 30 feet or longer in length, must pay an annual fee of $27.50 for the user fee decal. User Fee Decals may be purchased online through the CBP website. This Decal allows the Vessel to move around the US.
zedaffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #27
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Buying a Boat in the US

As a US citizen and US registered boat, you would be a visitor to Canada. We have visited many times under the same circumstances and itís a simple and clear process. Check in, and you can stay for up to a year, then need to leave. The only issue we encountered is that if you plan to leave the boat in Canada and go home yourself, there is another form you need to fill out. Still no big deal.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #28
Guru

City: Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
That's what I was thinking also, Lake Champlain is like 80% Canadian boaters. Those Canadian license plates are mostly from owners that bought boats from a Canadian dealer but the boat was delivered to the US hence those Canadians don't pay Canadian taxes on the boat nor US taxes because the boat goes back into storage on the Canadian side. The boats can return back into Canada for storage or guarantee maintenance if they cross back into Canadian waters for any other reason they will pay sales tax on the boat.
Simply not true. A vessel owned by a Canadian will have tax and perhaps duty due the instant it hits Canadian waters regardless of where it is licensed, documented, registered or state registered. I have been regularly involved with these cross border situations for 30yrs. doing cross border deliveries and tonnage measurements for Transport Canada. If someone is getting away with this it is sheer luck and there will be a reckoning.

PS. It's the RCMP that show up at your door not Revenue Canada. I've been involved in these situations and can confirm that the RCMP are not very flexible.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #29

Taxes and Registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
As a US citizen and US registered boat, you would be a visitor to Canada. We have visited many times under the same circumstances and itís a simple and clear process. Check in, and you can stay for up to a year, then need to leave. The only issue we encountered is that if you plan to leave the boat in Canada and go home yourself, there is another form you need to fill out. Still no big deal.
Thanks for the info TwistedTree; this makes things much less intrusive.
The boats I'm looking at are in Arkansas and Alabama whereas I live in Arizona.
Do I have the option of paying tax and registration in either the state of residence or the state of purchase?
Old 11-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #30

Taxes and Registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcocon View Post
Thanks for the info TwistedTree; this makes things much less intrusive.
The boats I'm looking at are in Arkansas and Alabama whereas I live in Arizona.
Do I have the option of paying tax and registration in either the state of residence or the state of purchase?
Good day Twistedtree;
Did some further research. Sales tax applies on new and used boats sold by a dealer in Arkansas. There is no sales tax on casual sales between individuals. Arkansas Boat Registration | MarineTitle.com
It would also seem that I can register the boat in Arkansas even though I live in AZ.
I would like more info on the "sailing to Ontario Canada with dockage and winter storage there year round by an American citizen." Could you suggest a web-link to review this?
Thanking you in advance
Old 11-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Langley BC
Vessel Name: Shalady
Vessel Model: 1981 Cheerman 38 Europa
Quote:
I'm Canadian and I'm planning on buying a used boat in the US. The boat will remain in the US. I'm guessing I need to register and pay taxes on it. The boat will be on Lake Champlain between the states of Vermont and New York. Can I chose where to register and pay the sale taxes? thanks in advance for any advice to my American cousins.
If you do end up buying a boat in the US you can save a lot of money by using Knightsbridge FX or similar Forgein Exchange busineses to purchase and transfer US funds to the vendor. i recently saved about $700.00 on $170,000 USD compared to the best bank rates.
stanfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfromhell View Post
If you do end up buying a boat in the US you can save a lot of money by using Knightsbridge FX or similar Forgein Exchange busineses to purchase and transfer US funds to the vendor. i recently saved about $700.00 on $170,000 USD compared to the best bank rates.
Thanks Stan; That's good to know. It's criminal what banks charge for foreign transactions both coming and going.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Toronto,ON
Vessel Name: Acadia ll
Vessel Model: Chung Wha
All very interesting. I am no expert but let me give you my 2 cents worth. I am a Canadian and have bought and sold 3 boats in Florida and they have never been north of Florida. At the time of purchase the state of Florida allowed me no sales taxes if I took the boat out of the state within 90 days and could prove it - ( gas receipt, dockage receipt, etc). All of the boats were registered in Canada since I had no permanent US address. Twenty five years have passed and no problems.
Mike Lowthian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #34

Hi Mike Lowthian; Thanks for this great info albeit my situation is a little different. I've a dual citizenship; Canada and US, my plan is to buy and register a boat in the US then sail and dock the boat on Lake Erie's north shore as a summer residence, with the goal to avoid the 13% Ontario tax. My full time residence and business is currently in AZ but this could change in the future. Trying to get the legalities of this plan, even looked at winter storage on the south shore of Lake Erie.