Buying before Selling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve, sorry to but in here, but this has bugged me for some time, so I need to settle it. Sorry for being pedantic, but the spelling of your boat type in your signature....shouldn't that be 'President'......

Peter-
I get asked that a lot. Berl Present had these boats built in Taiwan so there is a Present and a President Trawler. Another misspell it seems is Forkliftt:). Truth is- in 2002 when we set up our first website forklift.com was already taken. So we decided on www.forkliftt.com

-- Edited by Forkliftt on Tuesday 4th of January 2011 05:53:36 PM

Marin wrote:

We sometimes debate over what we'd do if we won the lottery or I sold the book rights for a movie for a million bucks or whatever.* Sometimes we say we'd buy a bigger boat, specifically a Fleming.* But most of the time we decide that we'd send our boat up to one of the yards in Vancouver, BC and have it totally returned to new condition.* Strip the hull and repaint it, re-engine it, new generator, whatever it took to make it a brand new boat.* And then keep using it for another twelve or twenty years.
LOL we had the same lottery conversation over the weekend and talked about a Fleming 55.* But it is just too big.* I like the idea of having my current boat totally redone.* that would be niiiiiiiice.
wink.gif

But then I remember "the lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math."* I'm still tempted by tonight's mega-millions jackpot though!*
no.gif

ok, to the point of this thread, I've seen too many boats languish on the market to be comfortable buying a new one before selling the old...**Sorry I forget which of our down under friends posted about making money while keeping his old boat as the new one is being built.* That is fabulous but I doubt too many folks are that lucky.*
smile.gif

We bought the new one before selling the old and sweated bullets for almost a year before the old one sold. In my (not hers) usual money losing fashion, bought the new boat at the height of the market and sold the old one when the market tanked. But at least we did manage to sell the old one and sell it for more than we paid for it.

Buying a boat is allot like buying a car, or a snow mobile, or a set of golf clubs.
That is to say, don't go out and buy a Ford just to say you have a car and all the time you own that car you keep wishing and wishing and wishing that it was a HUMMER SUPER *Military green "V" with fat tires, no less.

I think the way to go is have a boat that you will enjoy *painting the bottom, cleaning the brass ,and be proud to own, you will be happy, *because giving a sermon to your friends over and over *on how you got a bargain can get very boring.

Start looking at ,let me say a Norghavn *88.4 and work your way down, all boats have limitations,even if it be you, or the boat. Limitations never the less.

You want a HUMMER get it ,and don't look back , in time the enjoyment you get will in the long run be well worth it

We dream the impossible dream

Donald
Mainship 400 , it's a boat
Andromeda

In my experience, boats know when you're about to sell them. And as they say, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned! I swear that when I've put them on the market, all kinds of little stuff goes wrong. I went to sea trial the last one I owned and it died backing out of the slip. Water in the gasoline. NEVER did that before! Thank goodness the buyer understood...I had the fuel polished and everything was fine and the sale went through.

I highly advise you to try to keep your boat from knowing she's for sale.
aww.gif

Keith,* Good Advice--- A little white lie can't hurt.*** JohnP

LOL Ditto!

We bought our trawler before our Alberg 37 was sold partly because there weren't (and still aren't) very many Sea Ranger 47 PH's for sale on the east coast. *We also delayed selling our sailboat because I really didn't want to part with her.... but eventually reason took hold and we found her a new owner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom