Old 10-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Outer Banks NC
Vessel Name: Adagio
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 32
Buyin' a Monk 36.. Survey Help

Addicted to this site and thanks so much to all who contribute, been lurkin for years and hopefully I can begin some payback. Though I do need a bit more help...We have an accepted offer in on an 84 Monk 36, super clean she has a single Volvo TMD41H 140hp installed in 99 with only 800 hrs on it. A real plus is a Vetus bow thruster which was installed when the new motor was. We are looking for a Surveyor in the Wilmington NC area. Seller has only owned her about 14 months and he and his wife admit they really don't care for boating whatsoever. A boat was on his bucket list and he has now fulfilled his desire. Some of my concerns are the fuel tanks and the sterntube both of which could be a costly repair. Are there any other issues related to Monks which I should have a surveyor give a bit of "extra" attention to ? What are the pros and cons of having the same surveyor come in again and do the survey ? The current owner is willing to foot the bill for the survey haulout, but not do any repairs basically buying her "as is" so no further price reductions for any problems found. He is selling it for $15,000 less than he paid for it. As I said this is the best lookin and running trawler I've looked at over the past several years for the money. Engine room is pristine and systems are in above average condition. The boat has been kept in Tidewater Va and S/E NC since new. I have the last survey as well as the receipts for the engine replacement. Any input that will help me through this phase would be greatly appreciated.
OBXSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Well, first realize that even though the owner says "as is, no price reductions", if you find something serious then you either walk away or the owner negotiates. If that something is documented by a surveyor then he probably will negotiate.

Having said that, it will probably have to be major. I would not use the prior surveyor. He won't flag anything that he didn't find 18 months ago. You want a fresh set of eyes that won't be constrained by his prior survey. Pay particular attention to the expensive stuff. You have identified two, but replacing the stern tube shouldn't be that bad. Leaking rusty tanks are definitely bad. But engine issues would also be bad.

I would do a normal hull survey and pay attention to the expensive stuff, and if any serious issues come up with the engine then get an engine guy to look at it.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXSkipper View Post
What are the pros and cons of having the same surveyor come in again and do the survey ? The current owner is willing to foot the bill for the survey haulout, but not do any repairs basically buying her "as is" so no further price reductions for any problems found.
Don't waste your time and money. I used the same surveyor that had done the boat a year earlier. He basically checked the same boxes and took my money. I knew more about he boat and its systems than he did. A total waste of time and cash. Surveyors typically can't assess tank integrity etc. If the seller is not willing to work with any new survey findings you're pretty much stuck aren't you? Unlikely things have substantially changed in 18 months. Go with what you know...If it's a good deal, knowing the potential issues, buy it. If not, walk away..Sounds like a new surveyor won't give you any negotiation advantage here..
Old 10-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
With all due respect to the previous poster, a lot could happen in 18 months. I would hire a different surveyor and discuss any serious issues with the seller (thru his broker if there is one). If deal breaking issues are not corrected, physically or financially, I'd walk. You might consider joining the Monk Owners Group on Yahoo. Great boat and good people.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Our first trawler was a 1986 Monk 36, we lived aboard got 2 1/2 years and "looped" on it. The hull had blisters, no big surprise with f/g boats, it did take 5 months in North Florida to dry the hull out and rebuild it. They are not very suited to cold weather live aboard, lots of condensation, bad news in the aft stateroom hanging lockers. The galley/ settee area is very small, four people is a crowd. Ours had an aft step molded into the aft corner accesses to the upper deck and fly bridge access, the step was not sized for safe access. Lots of exterior teak to take care of but the Monk has great lines and we received loads of favorable comments. The Monk is very sea worthy in rough weather and will take you where ever you want to go. Access to the water tanks and rudder post is thru the tilt up mirror at the head of the bed in the owners stateroom which can be a difficult area to work in, sort of straddling across the bed with your upper body thru the mirror opening. The forward head had a grey water sump with pump that will need cleaning every so often. The aft shower tub is on the small size unless you are sized to fit in it. The best use of the tub was on another Monk 36 we met on the loop, the owner used it as a beer cooler ! We had a Perkins engine so can't give you any information on the Volvo except the parts are pricey, NAPA can help out in that regard.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
We have a 2003 Monk 36 and are very happy with it. As you have mentioned there have been a few cases of pitting of the SS stern tube the fix has been to either cut it out and replace with a Fiberglass tube some have been able to slide a FG insert tube and seal it in which turned out less expensive. The fuel tanks on any used trawler deserve looking at. The Volvo engine is a good one as others have mentioned parts can be expensive, I had one in my previous boat a Camano 31. Other than that like any other trawler that age check all the window trims for leaks it can usually be spotted by discoloration on the inside under the windows. They are good boats fun to drive and comfortable for cruising.
There is a good owners website you can have a look at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...sociation/info
to ask questions and see most info you'll have to join about 80$/yr.
We bought ours in Annapolis in 2008 as mentioned very happy with her.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If the owner is willing to pay for a new survey, why wouldn't you have one done by another surveyor? Make sure they do oil analysis of the engine, transmission, and generator. Be present for the survey. Be friendly with the surveyor, but ask questions. Simply, he is on your side to find what may be wrong. Be thorough on the hull survey. Check for play in the prop shaft and rudder. Check external strainers, through hull fittings, bonding plates, etc. Ask the surveyor what his opinion of the condition of each of these items is as he is surveying them. Again, be friendly. The time to inquire about condition of an item is when he is looking at it, not when the boat is back in the water. You may not be familiar with some of these items, but a friendly relationship with the surveyor will yield a great deal more information. Explain your concern about the fuel tanks and sterntube before he starts. When he's examining those items, ask questions.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Go with a seperate surveyor. If it pans out, you will like your Monk.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Go with a seperate surveyor. If it pans out, you will like your Monk.
Thats some good advice. Monks enjoy a solid reputation, but like all the boats that are for sale, maint or lack of it will make or break a deal. Good luck!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks, to clarify owner pays for the haulout and I pay for the Survey. Has anyone got the name of a good surveyor in the Wilmington area ? Obviously not all surveyors are created equal and I agree that it should be a different surveyor this time around. Has anyone had experience with tank replacement ? I had one guy say it was better to cut up the old tanks and replace with three smaller tanks and manifold them together for a total of six small tanks to carry the same volume. I don't relish the idea of cutting a hole in the side of the boat to slide them out or disassembling the entire interior to get them out. Can tank integrity really be tested ?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #11

If these are steel tanks, it is fairly straightforward to look for rust stains on the bottom. Also check the filler hose for stains as that hose is the source of most water getting in and corroding tanks.

If you need an engine surveyor, PM me. I know a great guy in Wrightsville Beach.

David
Old 10-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
A sale is nothing more than a willing seller and a willing buyer coming to terms- nothing more.

If the seller is willing to pay for a bailout- good on him. It is not a negotiation tool. Nor it his statement of "no further price reductions". What he purchased the vessel for is irrelevant to your transaction.

To me, the same surveyor is nice, but fresh eyes on the subject is always much better.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
FF
Guru

"Sounds like a new surveyor won't give you any negotiation advantage here.."

This is NOT the purpose of a survey ,

although many surveyors do attempt to justify there expense by claiming to find "problems".
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
If it's documented you can do a uscg lookup and see who the prior owner was. Look him up and get the real scoop.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #15
Guru

City: Here
I know a yacht broker in Beaufort NC. He tells me the best surveyor in the area and the least liked by the brokers is Rob Eberle in New Bern. He's a SAMS surveyor so you can get his contact info at marinesurvey.org
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoft View Post
With all due respect to the previous poster, a lot could happen in 18 months. I would hire a different surveyor and discuss any serious issues with the seller
With all due respect, the boat has likely seen only 150 + hours since the last survey, given the current owners general dislike of boating. At this point a new survey is strictly for peace of mind, given the seller's unwillingness to negotiate his price. If you need that, go for it with a fresh surveyor...

The owner, willing to pick up a $150 Haulout for your $500 survey expense is no big deal on his part...
Old 10-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #17
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
As the vessel is a 1984, most insuring companies will want a new hauled survey commissioned by the buyer before binding coverage.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
As the vessel is a 1984, most insuring companies will want a new hauled survey commissioned by the buyer before binding coverage.
As well as lenders.

David
Old 10-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
With all due respect, the boat has likely seen only 150 + hours since the last survey, given the current owners general dislike of boating. At this point a new survey is strictly for peace of mind, given the seller's unwillingness to negotiate his price. If you need that, go for it with a fresh surveyor...

The owner, willing to pick up a $150 Haulout for your $500 survey expense is no big deal on his part...
Maybe so, but you have no idea how good the first surveyor was and what he may have missed. If the fuel tanks and the sterntube are known Monk issues, would want to have the surveyor aware of that before he started.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

The surveyor I found from an online search for the area was Rob Eberle in New Bern, it's interesting that his name came up as a reputable surveyor in a post . I'll give him a call and see what his background and experience is with regards to Trawlers. I guess I may contact the mechanic mentioned in a post by David and see what he charges to do an engine survey. It seems that many steel tanks leak from the top when fuel is sloshed around in lumpy conditions, were there ever any steps taken by builders to glass the tank tops ? Do you think this would reduce standing water on the tank tops from either condensation or leaky deck fittings around filler tube ?