But it's in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LongJohn

Vessel Name
RedBoat
Vessel Make
MS 34T
I've been lurking and learning here for a while, and I really appreciate all the good information that you guys freely provide. I'm considering making an offer on a boat, but it's in Canada and I'm well south. Any cross border surprises that I should look out for? Any special taxes or import duties?

thanksalot

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it depends on where the boat was made. If you import a Canada made boat, there is no duty (NAFTA), but if the boat is made overseas (China, etc.), you may have to pay import duty when you bring the boat into the country.

It's not a horrid amount of money, but you should check to be sure.

Good Luck,

When I came up in May of this year, the Customs Officer I spoke with in Anacortes (about my lack of documenting paperwork heading through Canada) said boats being imported from Canada without paying the tax was their largest enforcement action. I would recommend a call to Customs for the real poop. He made it sound like it happened a lot, sometimes to unsuspecting purchasers, but mostly to save a few bucks.

That's what customs told me when I was looking at replacement fridges. As long as it's made in Canada, it's duty free.

My 2004 Dodge Intrepid says made in the USA on the door sticker, but Intrepids were all made / assembled in Ontario. Figure that out?? They play fast and free with the term "made in" anymore.

Best to use a customs broker if you've never imported before.

That's what customs told me when I was looking at replacement fridges. As long as it's made in Canada, it's duty free.

My 2004 Dodge Intrepid says made in the USA on the door sticker, but Intrepids were all made / assembled in Ontario. Figure that out?? They play fast and free with the term "made in" anymore.

Best to use a customs broker if you've never imported before.

Manufactured in USA can be imported with no duty as well. Part of the NAFTA agreement.

Edelweiss

Made in Canada/ Made in USA - Automobiles

Its been a few years since I looked at this, but my understanding is that the automobile industry is able to claim domestic manufacture in either country. This was done so that the plants could be located in the two countries without needing to produce specific models within each country. Perhaps others have a better feel for this.

Marty

If the boat was originally built in the US you will still need to clear customs with a RETURNED US GOODS entry.
If the boat was originally sold in the US the duty might have been paid but each subsequent sale must have been in the US and the original entry number must be obtained.
If it was built outside the US or Canada you most likely will have to pay a 1.5% entry duty with a few exceptions such as a boat built in Turkey.
You might be able to subtract the value of US built systems on board such a Caterpillar diesels from the actual sale price.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom