Old 05-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #1

City: New Tazewell
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
Business is good, don't bother

Wow. Just got off the phone with a broker in Maryland who has three people lined up to look at a GB in the next few days, so don't bother to come and look I am too busy.
I did not think it was a sellers market, but I suppose some areas are hot.

Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Well kept boats that are priced well are always in high demand. Hesitant buyers often miss the boat.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Is he refusing to show you the boat? I would be a PO'd owner if I knew that.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #4

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I'll bet it was the same guy who kept telling me that last fall when I wanted to look at a GB Europa that he had listed in Annapolis. He would say don't bother....it's sold or three people are heading this way...or the seller won't take a penny less than x. Every time I looked on Yacht World after that the last deal had fallen apart and it was back on the market.

Sure sounds like the same MO. Idiot.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #5

City: Ponce Inlet
We are having the exact same problem with brokers, one day we were headed to Bradenton to look at a MS and as were pulling out of the drive way broker called to say his client was not negioable..another broker told us to call his guy ( and we called him) that shows the Ranger Tug which is right down the road from our house and they never called back. Another broker said he was too busy to show the boat and would be for a week. We sold our sailboat on Boat Trader in 2 days. Why would anyone use a broker! Seems to me they jump in the middle. We still want to buy a nice used Camano/ 32 Nordic at a reasonable price for both parties.
Toot541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #6

City: CT
If you have enough prospects in the pipeline, one way to filter out the tirekickers, if someone's keen I bet they pay a premium to jump the queue
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #7

City: Phoenix, AZ
YachtWorld....BoatTrader

So listing on Yacht World is only available to brokers/dealers. And anyone can list on Boat Trader. Are these basically the two places to look online for larger boats? I guess there's always Craig's List too.

It would be interesting to know the percentages of people that are able to sell their boat themselves (without the use of a broker). And, consequently, how much more (or less) a seller nets by using a broker on average. Obviously there are statistics that brokers will throw out there, but its nearly impossible to truly know. And frankly, each case is unique, to some degree.

I also wonder how regional the differences are. For example, in some parts of the U.S., it's relatively easy to do a FSBO on your home and just hire an attorney to handle paperwork. In other areas it's very difficult because you just don't get the exposure you need without being on the MLS, etc.
AZSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #8

City: Ponce Inlet
Selling a home is a lot more transparent, you can actually look at comparable sales , you can look at the listing price and the actual sold price. Boat brokers act mysterious and I beleive they charge 10% commision. What I am discovering is that what boats are listed for is at times not anywhere near what they sell for. Boat Wizard is eye opening its the listing price and sold price for various boats. I still am unsure why people hire yacht brokers.
Toot541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We sold 2 boats in the last year and a half by using Boat Trader. We bought one through a broker and had no trouble getting a broker to show us the boats we wanted to see.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Good quality, well maintained, used boats remain very much in demand. Poorly maintained boats struggle to sell.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #11
FF
Guru

"and as were pulling out of the drive way broker called to say his client was not negioable."

So what? Why would that stop an inspection?

Some folks put a price on the boat , and THAT is the price.

The concept that every boat in the world is overpriced is sort of strange.

I would live to find a Choy Lee 66 for $10,000 in great condition and would pay instantly , rather than offer $5K.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #12

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Could you have the broker put your ( sellers ) contact info on all adds so that if there is problems buyers can contact seller with what is happening. Broker has a contract so he is going to get paid no matter who sells the boat.
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #13
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Well kept boats that are priced well are always in high demand. Hesitant buyers often miss the boat.
That is so much the truth!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #14

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Boats usually sell fast when priced at their true market value. The problem is the owner is usually the least well informed person about his boat's true market value.

What you want for it, or what you need to get for it, is not the same as what it is worth.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #15
FF
Guru

"Broker has a contract so he is going to get paid no matter who sells the boat."

And regardless of the sales price , he gets his cut.

Most would prefer to sell every listing at 1/2 price IF it increased the turnover volume.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #16

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Broker has a contract so he is going to get paid no matter who sells the boat."

And regardless of the sales price , he gets his cut.

Most would prefer to sell every listing at 1/2 price IF it increased the turnover volume.
Well, that's the point. Brokers want to sell boats, not just show them. I remember looking to buy back in 2009. We looked at several boats that were priced much higher than the identical one we ended up buying. Five years later, 3/4's of the boats we looked at, were still for sale, their owners presumably still explaining to prospective buyers why theirs was worth what they wanted for it.

Any object is only actually worth what someone will pay you for it.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #17
Art
Guru

We purchase things at the right price... or... we don't purchase.

It's really pretty simple. Just do not fall in love with inanimate objects till well after purchase. Then you can luv em all you want... but, don't shower too much cash on them. And, be ready to say a hardy good bye whenever separation is called for.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #18
FF
Guru

"We purchase things at the right price... or... we don't purchase. "

And the right price is NEVER the asking price?
Old 05-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #19
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"We purchase things at the right price... or... we don't purchase. "

And the right price is NEVER the asking price?
That is very often true... but not 100% true.

Point in fact.

I saw a cherry 1975 15' four seat, frp Crestliner with bimini top, its original 50 hp Johnson and orig. trailer for $1200. 250 hrs. total use. Had been on CL for less than couple hours. 120 miles away. I immediately called and told the guy I'd be there by 9 AM tomorrow. Having seen the photos and talking with the owner I felt that boat might be a real deal. Boy was I ever correct!

The guy was there; a great fellow! He took it and me to a near by launching location and we went for 40 minute cruise. IMO that boat was and after some 6 years of us using it as our tow behind runabout still is worth in the high two's to low three's.

He dropped it off at our marina and drove me back to his place so I could get my SUV. I did not once offer any lower because I could tell he was set on the price. Handed him 12 crisp $100 bills and offered him another $40 for taking time to do all he did for me to review the boat and then deliver it too. He refused any extra cash even when I offered it twice.

As I started my rig he told me that three persons had called soon after me last night. To each one he said that I was coming at 9AM the next day and driving over 100 miles. He also said the second caller had offered him $200 more than his asking price. He told me he felt he could trust me from our discussion and was glad that I had the boat.

Now, that is the perfect way to do business!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1954.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	64944   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1955.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	64945   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1959.jpg
Views:	113