Old 01-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Burnt Store Marina?

What’s the general consensus about this marina?

Our boat is currently on Longboat Key at a cool little marina behind some condos. It’s a really pretty spot— quiet, lush natural landscaping, pretty pool and hot tub area, and just steps across the road to an awesome beach, and close to Larry when I need help working on stuff (always). Took the wife there for the first time last week for three nights, and while she likes the setting and loved the easy beach access, she HATES the shower and bathrooms. And I have to admit, they are pretty gross. It’s ok for a guy, but that’s about it. There is no pump out there (other than possibly getting a pump out boat to come?) so we don’t use the bathroom on the boat. This is not a sustainable situation.

What I like about the Burnt Store location is the easy access to great cruising areas (Caya Costaand easy access to the Gulf through the Boca Inlet for when I want to raise the sails and go somewhere. I’m wondering if there is fairly quick access to a beach however— I’m thinking if we could hop in the dinghy and hit a beach just outside the harbor entrance? Looks like some beachy areas right outside the entrance on google maps but can’t tell for sure.

Looks like Burnt Store is kind of out in the middle of nowhere so if I need to run to the hardware store/grocery it’s a 15min car ride, but that doesn’t really bother me since I will always have a rental car or my own car.

What else should I consider?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
Long way to the gulf from there. as you say middle of nowhere. Look at marina jack in Sarasota and walk to everything, easy bus to the beach and St. Armands. Wife will love walking to whole foods.
Further north St. Pete muni is the best located marina for liveaboards.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #3

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Burnt Store does not have a lot of water and when we get north winds sustained the water gets even shallower. It is a way's to get anywhere but with your car nearby it's not that big of a deal. Pine Island is a quaint place to go out for dinner as well. Sarasota is beautiful and classy but really busy.
jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Guru

Burnt Store Marina?

True, it’s about an hour cruise on a narrow stretch of ICW to Longboat Pass Inlet from where I am now, and a bridge to wait on. While it’s a little farther to the Gulf from Burnt Store it’s an open sail across a bay which I like a lot better.

We are not liveaboards.

I like Sarasota/Marina Jack and the ability to walk to places is ideal, but would have to drive to a beach wouldn’t I?
Old 01-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #5

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
What’s the general consensus about this marina?

Our boat is currently on Longboat Key at a cool little marina behind some condos. It’s a really pretty spot— quiet, lush natural landscaping, pretty pool and hot tub area, and just steps across the road to an awesome beach, and close to Larry when I need help working on stuff (always). Took the wife there for the first time last week for three nights, and while she likes the setting and loved the easy beach access, she HATES the shower and bathrooms. And I have to admit, they are pretty gross. It’s ok for a guy, but that’s about it. There is no pump out there (other than possibly getting a pump out boat to come?) so we don’t use the bathroom on the boat. This is not a sustainable situation.

What I like about the Burnt Store location is the easy access to great cruising areas (Caya Costaand easy access to the Gulf through the Boca Inlet for when I want to raise the sails and go somewhere. I’m wondering if there is fairly quick access to a beach however— I’m thinking if we could hop in the dinghy and hit a beach just outside the harbor entrance? Looks like some beachy areas right outside the entrance on google maps but can’t tell for sure.

Looks like Burnt Store is kind of out in the middle of nowhere so if I need to run to the hardware store/grocery it’s a 15min car ride, but that doesn’t really bother me since I will always have a rental car or my own car.

ITS Very High Priced for the sticks
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Guru

City: gulf coast
The bus transfer point is right at marina jack

.https://www.scgov.net/Home/ShowDocument?id=9231
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
The bus transfer point is right at marina jack

.https://www.scgov.net/Home/ShowDocument?id=9231
It doesn't get any easier!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
We like Burnt Store.

https://youtu.be/_J5C1-QGRTU
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #9
Guru

Great video! Thanks.

From your video, there doesn’t seem to be any “beach” one could dinghy out to from the marina if I’m looking at it correctly. I thought maybe those little islands out there had a better beach around them.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
Guru

No beach that I know of. Pelican Bay is the nearest really nice beach area.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: St. james city FL.
Vessel Name: White Pelican
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34' sedan 1973
There are sand bars around the north end of Pine Island, at lower tides I have seen boats pull up and unload chairs and coolers. Not Sanabel but it is sand.
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #12
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Wink

Quote:
she HATES the shower and bathrooms.

Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero.

Let me remind you of a quote that has served me well over the years.....

"If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Nuff said, now go find another marina.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My friend has a boat at Burnt Store marina. I was under the impression that pump out is at the fuel or boatel lift dock. Have some other live aboard friends who were planning on basing out of there. I guess the real question comes down to how much time you plan to stay on the boat at the dock. If you're going to have a floating condo with occasional outings, I would be more interested in places with better options for restaurants and grocery stores within walking / bicycling distance.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #14
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Burnt Store is truly in the middle of nowhere, but nice. 10 miles in any direction for groceries. No beach. One restaurant on property...maybe two if you count the golf course diner.

If I wanted a nice marina and a nice beach and an nice dining and shopping area all close by, I would go to Snook Bight on Ft. Myers Beach.

Plus, excellent bathrooms.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #15
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Have you considered Fisherman’s Village in Punta Gorda? That’s where we had lunch with Larry and my buddy Darrell.

Punta Gorda is a great little town with some very good restaurants.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #16
Guru

Burnt Store Marina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Have you considered Fisherman’s Village in Punta Gorda? That’s where we had lunch with Larry and my buddy Darrell.

That’s where we met for the anchor swap?

I will check it out. I don’t really remember where we were. [emoji23]
Old 01-15-2018, 05:01 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post

And there is a beach at Ponce Park Near Fishermans Village
Old 01-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #18
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Quote:
That’s where we met for the anchor swap?

I will check it out. I don’t really remember where we were. [emoji23]
Yes, that’s the place.

Pgitug mentioned Ponce Park Beach. I had forgotten about that. That gives you the Beach you wanted. It isn’t a big Beach but it is a Beach.

I don’t know what the showers are like, but the marina seems well maintained.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #19
Guru

Burnt Store Marina?

OK, thanks Parks and Pgitug. I will check it out next time we go to the boat— we will drive the rental car to Punta Gorda one day and look around. PG might be a good combination of close to things to do, a beach, hopefully good showers and bathrooms, and good access to more interesting cruising areas.

It might seem crazy to have to select a marina based on good showers, but like GFC said if momma isn’t happy...
Old 01-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #20
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
We are heading down to PG next week to look at a snow bird condos for us. I know that area pretty well and have stayed at the Fishermen's Village Marina as a transient.

The marina is very nice with a good swimming pool right there and the adjacent pier has 4-5 restaurants. There is a good liveaboard community who hangs out for happy hour on the pier some nights. Active Captain shows the month to month price at $14.50 per foot, annual at $13.00, so kind of pricey.

The piers are fixed and it is subject to north and east winds. I would not want to leave my boat there in any significant storm much less a hurricane, so consider that carefully as you don't live in the area.

But it does have good access to some great anchorages: Boca Grande where you drop your hook and back up to tie to the mangroves, Cayo Costa Park where you can walk across to the Gulf beach from the park's dinghy dock, Useppa Island with the cheeseburger in paradise joint a short dinghy ride away, Sanibel Island, Ft Myers Beach, the list goes on.

But also consider Gasparilla Marina in Placida. AC shows that they have both floating and fixed docks and it is quite protected. Has a nice restaurant on site but no where near the variety of PG. Other services should be fairly close by as it is a fairly populated area. It also has a boatyard with Travellift.

And it is quite a little closer to Boca Grande Pass, albeit mostly in a narrow channel rather than the open water of Charlotte Harbor.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote