Old 01-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #41

And FYI, both pics are taken from my boat anchored at the edge of the ~20í deep channel which butts right up to the sandbar (great unless too many wakes on a weekend afternoon). Biggest downside for you may be that Big Pass is not the deepest, most confidence-inspiring way if you want to get to the Gulf. But if you can deal with ~6í of water (itís all sand) youíll be OK.

chriscritchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #42
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Burnt Store Marina?

Thanks. That sandbar and park look awesome. I only have a 10í dinghy so I like the idea of cutting through bird key.

That pass looks scary IMO.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #43
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I wonder if there is a shortage of dockage along the whole southwest coast? A whole lot of private docks and seawalls were damaged by hurricane Irma. The people who own those docks will all be looking for temporary dockage in commercial marinas until repairs are completed.

I have not heard of a shortage. One large sailboat that draws 7' came into our basin at Isles Yacht Club for a month until he could find a private dock with an undamaged seawall that could accommodate him. Since Irma the City Council has urged neighbors to loan or rent their slips to those disposed from their own. It has been very successful.

The liability issue is addressed between the host and the guest.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I wonder if there is a shortage of dockage along the whole southwest coast? A whole lot of private docks and seawalls were damaged by hurricane Irma. The people who own those docks will all be looking for temporary dockage in commercial marinas until repairs are completed.
Fort Myers filled much more quickly than normal this fall. Wasn't able to get my spot in the municipal marina this fall and had to hunt a bit. It was kind of like musical chairs, have a slip before the music stops. As more of the facilities reopen in the Keys, think there will be some migration South.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Thanks. That sandbar and park look awesome. I only have a 10í dinghy so I like the idea of cutting through bird key.

That pass looks scary IMO.

Big Pass is not for the faint of heart, but certainly doable with your draft of less than 4í. Decent-sized boats go in and out on a daily basis, and the channel, such as it is, is marked. And the TowboatUS guys and plenty of charter boats operate out of MJ, so good local knowledge should always be easy to get.

But if it scares you too much, the downside of being here is the next good inlets are ~1 1/2 hours away in a slow boat; Longboat to the N or Venice to the S.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #46
Guru

Burnt Store Marina?

Has anyone stayed at Aquamarina at Palm Harbor? Allegedly one can dinghy across the ICW and access the gulf side beach? Can anyone confirm thatís possible?
Old 01-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #47
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23- outboard
It looks possible in a dinghy but there may not be a legal place to land. It all looks like private property on the Gulf side of the ICW. Maybe at the Palm Island ferry landing. From there it will be a half mile walk to the beach.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:54 PM   #48
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Quote:
Has anyone stayed at Aquamarina at Palm Harbor? Allegedly one can dinghy across the ICW and access the gulf side beach? Can anyone confirm thatís possible?

Palm Harbor is a well protected marina with good power and depth. You can take your dinghy 1/4 mile south and enjoy the Beach State Park of Don Pedro Island State Park. Very nice. Both beach and slips for day boats.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #49
Guru

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #50

City: Marietta
Vessel Name: True Love
Vessel Model: Leopard 37 PC
Burnt Store is ultra protected and calm, but as others said, itís pretty remote from the action.

A couple of the places up by Cape Haze were OK.

Boca Grande isnít really for permanent dockage.

I really like Snook Bight, but it has a bad current and a bit of a wake issue being right on a very narrow stretch of the ICW.

I have kept my boat at both Cape Harbour Marina, which is right on the Miserable Mile but behind a lock, and at Tarpon Point Marina. TP was nicer for sure.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Palm Harbor is a well protected marina with good power and depth..
They have problems with 50 amp power on the transient dock. If you use 30 amps you will be fine.

It is a nice stop for Leverock's and Rum Bay restaurants. Nothing else is close.

Nice pool and friendly folks.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #52
Guru

Burnt Store Marina?

The reason I thought Palm Harbor (or Aquamarina they are called now?) might be good is because of the good access to the beach by dinghy possibly, and still pretty close to Boca and the good cruising of the Pine Island Sound.

But yeah, doesnít look like many restaurants around close.

I can use one 30amp if I only use one AC. Or two 30s to run everything.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #53
Guru

[QUOTE=cardude01;630095 because of the good access to the beach by dinghy possibly,[/QUOTE]

That is a very private island. You might have to be carrying to get the beach.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #54
Guru

Oh, damn.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #55
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Dude, Gasparilla Marina had no pool as of our last visit, but the restrooms & showers were new and spotless. A short dinghy ride is Gasparilla Pass. It's a small boat, local knowledge pass. It's a good play area for families. You can get to the beach on either side. Oh, did I mention that the fishing is good?

About 10 miles south of the marina is a pass that you may squeeze through if your boat can handle 60-90' depths===Boca Grande Pass. The name means big mouth, and so it is. It's the deepest natural pass on the FL West Coast.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #56

I have to +1 Moonstruck here. Gasparilla is out of the way by car, but not very, and way better than Burnt Store. And that would be a great dinghy ride to the pass, with what look like gorgeous beach areas when you get to the Gulf (as I see them from the road). And then youíre pretty close to Pine Island Sound for actual sailing, and the best pass on this coast if you want out.

If I didnít live in Sarasota, that area would be my favorite in SWFL.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Dude, Gasparilla Marina had no pool as of our last visit, but the restrooms & showers were new and spotless. A short dinghy ride is Gasparilla Pass. It's a small boat, local knowledge pass. It's a good play area for families. You can get to the beach on either side. Oh, did I mention that the fishing is good?

About 10 miles south of the marina is a pass that you may squeeze through if your boat can handle 60-90' depths===Boca Grande Pass. The name means big mouth, and so it is. It's the deepest natural pass on the FL West Coast.

DW and I are making a trip soon to check out some marinas, and Gasparilla is def on the list. I think I can get out of not having a pool at the marina if I can access the beach in the dinghy or quickly by car.

Iíve been through the Boca Inlet. Iím an inlet wuss and even I wasnít scared of Boca!
Old 01-25-2018, 08:41 PM   #58
Guru

Burnt Store Marina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscritchett View Post
I have to +1 Moonstruck here. Gasparilla is out of the way by car, but not very, and way better than Burnt Store. And that would be a great dinghy ride to the pass, with what look like gorgeous beach areas when you get to the Gulf (as I see them from the road). And then youíre pretty close to Pine Island Sound for actual sailing, and the best pass on this coast if you want out.

If I didnít live in Sarasota, that area would be my favorite in SWFL.

Cool. Yeah the fairly close access to the great cruising area is why Iím trying to get down that way.

Is Gasparilla hard to get to by car? From google maps looks like Gasparilla is 1:50 from Tampa where Bunt Store is about 2 hours.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #59

Quote:
Cool. Yeah the fairly close access to the great cruising area is why Iím trying to get down that way.

Is Gasparilla hard to get to by car? From google maps looks like Gasparilla is 1:50 from Tampa where Bunt Store is about 2 hours.

Burnt Store is not that hard to get to via the highway; to me itís a question of what else is around it. Admittedly Iím not very familiar with that area, but my impression is that Gasparilla is closer to shopping, dining, etc. And if you want access to clear turquoise water and sandbars, Gasparilla wins.

In reality you just need to see them both before you decide, though.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #60
Guru

Well, the wife needs to see them so she can be happy.

I like my current marina, but you know how it goes.