Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #21

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
We've stayed at the Longboat Key Resort/Marina. First class in every respect. Shuttles will take you anywhere....beach, shopping, eats.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #22
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Fisherman's Village is on the verge of starting a major renovation including tearing the old building that houses the bathrooms, harbor masters office, laundry and boater's lounge. It would probably be prudent to ask about the timing before you commit.

The City Marina at Laishley Park is a good alternative, Right downtown. It usually cheaper than Fisherman's Village and has floating and fixed docks.

Gasparilla is a fine marina but it too is in the middle of nowhere. The Waterside Grill is a great little restaurant. It has a huge dry storage building that must be gone around when you leave the main part of the marina to get to the restaurant or the highway. Transients are usually issued a golf cart if available. Long term folks would of course have their car. A brisk 5 minute walk otherwise. The extremely clean bathrooms and showers are convenient to the slips without the walk. Staff will bend over backward to keep you happy
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Have you considered Fisherman’s Village in Punta Gorda? That’s where we had lunch with Larry and my buddy Darrell.

Punta Gorda is a great little town with some very good restaurants.
I agree that is a great place. Never kept a boat there but have visited several times.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #24

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Fisherman's Village

I keep my Selena there. Getting in and out during the winter is extremely difficult with the north winds pushing water out of the area. The docks are fixed but do-able if your agile. The restrooms are clean but old andfor the 1st time I have heard try are being replaced. This is my home base since we lost the seawall behind my house. As soon as my dock is replaced we will be moving. With all that said, "this is a very good location if you want less busy".
jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #25
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbraga View Post
I keep my Selena there. Getting in and out during the winter is extremely difficult with the north winds pushing water out of the area. The docks are fixed but do-able if your agile. The restrooms are clean but old andfor the 1st time I have heard try are being replaced. This is my home base since we lost the seawall behind my house. As soon as my dock is replaced we will be moving. With all that said, "this is a very good location if you want less busy".

What does your boat draw? I’m about 4’. Is it only difficult/shallow right after a cold front with strong north winds?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #26

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Selena Draft

We draw 5'7". Yes, it's only an issue with north winds or as in the case with Irma. I believe at 4' the problem will not adversely affect you enough to worry about it. It is a great location.
jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #27
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
The City Marina at Laishley Park is a good alternative, Right downtown. It usually cheaper than Fisherman's Village and has floating and fixed docks.
Definitely worth a look.
danderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #28
Guru

Will look at the City Marina also. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Bloomington/Manasota Key
CHADWICK COVE - Home - Englewood, FL

Not going to get closer to a beach than this place. Very close to restaurants and Circle K for quick things. Probably 2 miles to Publix/Wal-Mart.

Sidney
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #30
Guru

Hey what about Boca Grande Marina? Walkable to the gulf beach website says. Super close to all the good cruising areas. Anyone stayed there before? Seems like a small marina.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #31
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Active Captain says that Boca Grande Marina is $3.25 per foot for transients. If they have long term slips I will bet they are really expensive like everything in Boca Grande.

It is a nice marina. I fueled up there many years ago. No pool though as I recall.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #32
Guru

Yeah, and it’s pretty far from Tampa where I have to fly in. Will probably stick to Punta Gorda marinas or Burnt Store. But Boca has that beach!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:02 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Dude, you asked for input, and you are getting it. Here's mine. I agree with David on both points. Boca Grande Marina is pricey, and Gasparilla Marina is worth a look. I have loved Boca Grande Marina since it was the old Millers Marina. The location can't be beat. You can walk anywhere. The staff is accommodating, but they are mainly a transit marina. They make their money on group cruising clubs. It's a great location. Bathrooms were so-so with one shower each for men and women.

About 8 or 10 miles up near the bridge is Gasparilla. We have had Moonstruck there for 3 extended stays. There is a good restaurant on site plus the Fishery Restaurant is close by. They have fresh seafood caught on their own boats. A Publix Market is close. We loved the place. You can reach the great Pine Island Sound cruising without any bridges to worry about.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #34

Slip next to me at Marina Jack has been open for a while now, but I think it might be only 35’. But if you find something there, I’d be happy to keep an eye on things for you when you’re away. And only charge the occasional cocktail.

I hate paying MJ money, but the location is really hard to beat. Beach / sandbars are easily within dinghy range, if you can launch it. Or bike range, or the bus.
chriscritchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscritchett View Post
Slip next to me at Marina Jack has been open for a while now, but I think it might be only 35’. But if you find something there, I’d be happy to keep an eye on things for you when you’re away. And only charge the occasional cocktail.

I hate paying MJ money, but the location is really hard to beat. Beach / sandbars are easily within dinghy range, if you can launch it. Or bike range, or the bus.

What sandbar is dinghy range?

My boat is 41’ loa but 4’ of that is bow pulpit.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Dude, you asked for input, and you are getting it. Here's mine. I agree with David on both points. Boca Grande Marina is pricey, and Gasparilla Marina is worth a look. I have loved Boca Grande Marina since it was the old Millers Marina. The location can't be beat. You can walk anywhere. The staff is accommodating, but they are mainly a transit marina. They make their money on group cruising clubs. It's a great location. Bathrooms were so-so with one shower each for men and women.

About 8 or 10 miles up near the bridge is Gasparilla. We have had Moonstruck there for 3 extended stays. There is a good restaurant on site plus the Fishery Restaurant is close by. They have fresh seafood caught on their own boats. A Publix Market is close. We loved the place. You can reach the great Pine Island Sound cruising without any bridges to worry about.

Thanks for the input Don. I will definitely check out Gasparilla Marina— I had never heard of that one.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Leamington ON
Vessel Name: Tootles
Vessel Model: Nordic 26
I can also endorse Gasparilla marina good service and anxious to please and so very clean
Tootles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #38
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I wonder if there is a shortage of dockage along the whole southwest coast? A whole lot of private docks and seawalls were damaged by hurricane Irma. The people who own those docks will all be looking for temporary dockage in commercial marinas until repairs are completed.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
What sandbar is dinghy range?

My boat is 41’ loa but 4’ of that is bow pulpit.

Look at Google earth - or your charts - at Big Sarasota Pass. N side of the pass is a park, so all public access beach which follows along the pass and then turns N along the Gulf. Also within this immediate area are some nice mangrove tunnels which are fun in a kayak / SUP. It’s a small oasis within the larger ‘civilized’ area.

At the mouth of the pass, a bit S, is a large island /sandbar. If you choose to look out to sea rather than back at the buildings, it is beautiful.

All this is within 2-3 miles of Marina Jack, and it can be done either in the ICW or in a dinghy you could shortcut thru the canals in Bird Key and get out there with minimal exposure to weather or the ICW jockeys.

On the downside, you will frequently be far from the only boat out there enjoying it. But if you avoid the typical amateur hours, it’s not bad. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4984.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	72185Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4994.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	72186
Old 01-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #40

Apologies...I guess I’m not smarter than this app.