Old 10-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Here's a plagiarized, condensed version of Peter's cheat card. Just print, fold in half, trim and laminate.

Thanks, TwistedTree!!
Thanks, nice modification.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Its not hard to remember Red right returning. You still have to figure out which way is returning. I find a paper chart covering the whole area(not always so on electronic turned up for detail) is what works for me.
Returning? I mostly cruise the AICW. Red is on the right heading south, on the left heading north. An easier way for me to think of it is, the red is on the mainland side, the green is on the ocean side.

The AICW is made up of rivers, creeks, sounds, etc. connected by land cuts. Many times on a river or sound, the ICW uses the shipping channels so the buoy colors are reversed for that section. There are special yellow marks on the buoys for the AICW but they are very small.

I find looking at the chart (my plotter has the buoys on it) helps to sort this out, keeping in mind that buoys may have been moved since the chart was created. Also, most of the time I have pre planned my route and uploaded it to the plotter so I have a route to follow, keeping in mind that what I actually see in front of me supersedes what the plotter indicates.

For me, I think the cheat card would be confusing because I would have to keep flipping it.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #23
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I think you have really illustrated the point. RRR is nice and simple, but reality in many places is much more complex. Returning to where? It's often not obvious which direction is "returning" since there are ports in both directions. And there are lots of rivers/channels/canals where the orientation switches midway through the pass. And the ICW example is another good one. Add to that an intersecting river or two, a couple of primary/secondary buoys, etc, etc and it starts to get complex.

Personally, and this is just how my head works, I like to figure all this out for a given situation/location, then use the cheat device to remind me as I pass through. It saves having to figure it all out again over and over. When circumstances change, I figure it out again and reset the cheat device as needed. There are also plenty of places where I don't use it at all, like a simple entrance into a harbor where there are no other channels.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #24

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I think you have really illustrated the point. RRR is nice and simple, but reality in many places is much more complex. Returning to where? It's often not obvious ...

Personally, and this is just how my head works, I like to figure all this out for a given situation/location, then use the cheat device to remind me as I pass through. It saves having to figure it all out again over and over. When circumstances change, I figure it out again and reset the cheat device as needed. There are also plenty of places where I don't use it at all, like a simple entrance into a harbor where there are no other channels.
It's not always obvious for me while zigzagging between islands where multiple channels crisscross. My head works similar way ... figure it out, set it, refer to it for quick check, and reset when the circumstances change. This makes me more aware, not less, of the surroundings.

My first mate got really good at checking the charts and resetting the colors as we change direction or channel. Here is my version of the buoy reminder (top center) ...

Old 10-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #25
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
You could make it fun and use two of these:

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote