Old 04-15-2015, 12:21 AM   #21
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
"Service" meant checking the weights and connections, though; no re-charging required or involved.
Yes weight is important (not sure what "connections" the were looking at), but I believe there's also a small explosive "cap" that has to work and is not testable. So you really have no confidence that it will deploy.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Yes weight is important (not sure what "connections" the were looking at), but I believe there's also a small explosive "cap" that has to work and is not testable. So you really have no confidence that it will deploy.

Connections = automatic engine/genset/blower shut off (I think), and the manual pull. Tested while the bottle itself was out in the cockpit getting weighed.

-Chris

Old 04-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #23

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post

In the old days one Halon System manufacturer did have an explosive squib and it was used on sphere shaped containers. Not recollecting any marine systems with pyrotechnic release. Marine systems of the day had electric valves (solenoids).
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #24
Guru

We had a much older twin engine Tolly that was fitted with an anti-siphon valve at the fuel tank. The valve would shut off the flow of fuel while the engines were not running. Does Silverton not fit their gas powered boats with an anti-siphon valve?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #25
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Almost all new fire suppression systems today use heptofleuropropane FM200.

It is breathable sorta, but fire can't live in it, and it wont corrode anything and has no residue.

You can't barbecue on it when done since it's propane

If you pry apart each part of a propane molecule and put a carbon atom, you get FM200.

stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #26
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
We had a much older twin engine Tolly that was fitted with an anti-siphon valve at the fuel tank. The valve would shut off the flow of fuel while the engines were not running. Does Silverton not fit their gas powered boats with an anti-siphon valve?

This was done on carburetor equipped gas engines to prevent gas from flooding the bilge if the float stuck . This was a common problem when fuel sat for a long time and evaporated in the fuel bowl causing varnish and gunk.

Worked OK unless they got stuck and did not open causing a low or no fuel condition that was often overlooked when troubleshooting (don't ask me how I know).

Diesel and other fuel injection engines do not want or need this appendage.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #27

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Does anyone know who in the Clear Lake Tx area can test/certify my halon system? I'm sure it has been many years since checked. There is no card in the little pouch hanging on the system. Thanks.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #28
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Any fuel tank regardless of engine type could benefit from anti siphon valve at the tank.
Say you fuel line broke, and the end flopped down coming from a fuel tank. It is going to siphon out diesel or gasoline regardless of fuel injected or carbureted.

The down side of anti siphon valves, they jam with debris, crud in the tanks. Your pumps just may randomly quit when it gets stuck at that valve, Then you go to investigate and find nothing wrong, because when you turn off and open the line, the crud drains back down into the tank.
i got rid of my anti siphon valves. My fuel lines are all above the tank top and secured in place. Only issue is if the large filter developed a leak it could drain out fuel.

I was thinking an expensive solution, an electric valve that opens when the electric fuel pump runs.

Otherwise, manually turn off a valve so it cant drain fuel .
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #29
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Alaskan Sea-Duction: I really hate to cause an argument but you may be seriously mistaken in stating that you were "wrong" about Halon. Please read your earlier post. You probably did hear from someone that it was corrosive.

dan
It's not every day you see someone calling out another for NOT being wrong.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #30
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallswede View Post
Does anyone know who in the Clear Lake Tx area can test/certify my halon system? I'm sure it has been many years since checked. There is no card in the little pouch hanging on the system. Thanks.

Kevin
The guy I bought my boat from said there wasnt anyone that would deal with halon. If you do hear of someone I would be interested. I have a big ole bottle of the stuff.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
What is the consensus on the new stuff (HFC-227ea) compared to Halon? All the equipment looks the same so can you have your Halon system recharged with HFC-227ea?

devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote