Old 07-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #41
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Get a captains license then you can ask for money whenever you want. Just don't take more than 6 people out at a time or you will have to have the boat inspected.

TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #42
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That's it. I'm making a new sign!

Mods get away with a A-Lot

And, that ain't half bad!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #43
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
I have a sign that indicates what the price per gallon of fuel is and a short list of guest's names. They must put a check mark by the FloScan entry, indicating they've acknowledged the level of the fuel tanks when we start the cruise.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:03 AM   #44
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I have a sign that indicates what the price per gallon of fuel is and a short list of guest's names. They must put a check mark by the FloScan entry, indicating they've acknowledged the level of the fuel tanks when we start the cruise.
Walt - You're Bad! - LOL

At bottom of our piggy bank we have pen and note asking contributors to put initials on any large bills (20's or larger). Saying that: There is a drawing at years end and we give the winner 25% of donated funds acquired. "Give and you shall receive" As I mention in post # 31 "We've gotten rich!!!"

Old 07-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #45
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I try not to let guests know how much the boat costs!...

I never take money for day trips...

...I'm 25 and the only one of my peers with a boat. I'm happy to have guests onboard and don't want them to feel it's a burden. But I don't want to pay for all their meals and drinks, either.
Without sounding "old", IMO you're a heck of a young man sir, and I love your attitude toward boating! Not what one might expect from a 25 year old.

Heck, I know some people your age, that wouldn't take a "friend" to the airport without expecting some sort of compensation! :-(

To Baker and the many others here that have expressed similar feelings bravo!!!!

It's about the friend/relationships we enjoy while underway.

Every year, through an organization called B.O.A.T. kids, a large group of boaters, from trawlers to offshore power boats, to small center consoles, all come together to bring some joy and happiness, to kids and young adult's who are mentally/physically challenged. Hopefully that one day of joy, will leave a lifetime of memories.

Every one donates their boats, time/cost, etc. To the event. Local commercial sponsors cover food/drinks, and such, and the local park service at Caladesi opens their arms (and their hearts) to the teams, by providing dockage, shelter, and of course safety, to everyone involved.

But back to asking for $$$...no.
As a few others have stated, that "may" place you in a tight spot from a litigation perspective, should something go wrong.

As far as the USCG regs are concerned, again unless you're doing it regularly (trying to avoid licensure), there's a problem or complaint, the likelihood of an issue with them is minimal.

I go out with several of my friends regularly.

One owns a sailboat, so there's not a lot of fuel usage there. The hosts always go big, providing everything from boat to booze.
Just the same, I always bring booze, water, sports drinks and food.

The foods usually gone by the time we return, and I usually manage to conveniently forget the drinks when we offload (lol). If he or his wife ask, we just tell them to keep them. By doing so, we ensure that the liquor locker is always stocked, and it contributes to our passage.

Oh, and when it's time to chip, paint, or do repairs, I'm there, work clothes and tools in hand!

My other friends gave power boats, and it's always a day trip. May be a few hours, may be all day into the evening. Regardless, we always try to chip in for fuel. Sometimes it's a staunch NO from the skipper, but these are usually for tech days when we're checking/testing equipment and repairs, or what we consider "RE-SALINATION" days. Time to slip away from the hustle and bustle of dry land and the working world for a day. Time to recharge if you will. Fuel for those days, is almost always on the requestee - lol

[QUOTE] The only time I took money for fuel was when I had my dad, stepmom, and kids out for 10 days in Alaska. Dad swiped his card at the fuel dock before I could, and I didn't complain!/QUOTE]

BTW, that's what "dad's" do :-)
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #46

City: Norfolk, VA
Not sure if anyone read my reply at post #25. . .

BTW, I like that sign! But given some of the people I know, I'd end up with a helluva lot of weed

Quote:
If you have to worry about fuel costs, you probably cannot afford the boat.
If I didn't have to worry about fuel costs, I wouldn't be here researching a trawler that would allow me to entertain my champagne tastes on a beer budget

I also worry about food costs, electricity, clothing, etc. . .and yet I manage to eat well, keep the lights on, and I'm not running around naked. It's because I budget that I eat and live pretty well.

I wouldn't treat fuel any different. $XXXX a year = YYY running hours. . .how many trips out would that net me? And I would plan accordingly and enjoy myself. It sure as hell would be nice to be able to swipe the credit card with a smile on my face and not give a thought to how much it cost to top off the tank, but I currently don't live in that world.
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #47
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool beans View Post
Not sure if anyone read my reply at post #25. . . .
The difference is how you ... ahem... 'suggest' it is the real issue. The #25 answer is the way to go.

You must make it NOT part of the requirements to come aboard: "Hey if you want to chip in..... I'd appreciate it." Versus, "If you want to go with me this weekend you HAVE to pay for fuel,"

You will soon find out who the 'freeloaders' are, versus the friends who understand and contribute.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Let us know Meg's reaction to the new sign on her boat Al
Now she's not talking to me after she found out I used her picture in the sign.

Looks like I'll be rethinking my original plan...

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #49
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Bummer!!
A little different point here- when we entertain with two or three couples ( or at home for that matter) and everyone brings "something" for the meal- the stocked fridge goes into overload. New approach is "if you bring something that needs to stay cool, please have room in your ice chest to store it". This helps a lot - and guests seem to give a little more though to their packaging. And when you leave, TAKE IT HOME, or it just becomes one more thing we have to dispose of.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 07-25-2015, 08:47 PM   #50
Guru

City: West Coast
The way I handle the cost sharing is to be clear that no contribution is expected on the first trip -- or any trip. If you enjoy the trip and want to come again, contribute. If not, don't, but that tells me you didn't enjoy it so I probably won't invite again. In the future, you can always opt not to contribute -- no hard feelings, but maybe no invite back (unless you are poverty stricken, then exceptions are made). I adopted this approach without regard to USCG requirements that contributions be voluntary, but it seems to work well from that perspective. (And as I stated above, this only applies for guys multi-day fishing trips where costs easily exceed $2K -- everything else is on me without question._
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:00 AM   #51
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Bumming Fuel Money From Guests?

Quote:
If I invite a group of people to come out for a day on the water. . .picnic, swimming, motor over the Waterside to watch fireworks, etc. . .can I ask for a fuel surcharge or should I eat the fuel costs?

Ok, let me rephrase that, since I can ask them whatever. . .is it rude, or is there any etiquette involved?

Not a big deal if I eventually ended up with a single diesel trawler. It would be a bigger issue with twin 454's

I know with any fishing boats I've had or have been invited out on, it wasn't even a question. . .you at least offered to chip in $10-$20. Just curious.

You invited them!!!! Why would you then ask for $$$ ... Makes no sense. If you pulled that shit on me I'd cut ya lose cause the things I would have done for you as a friend in the past clearly wouldn't have meant anything. For me, you basically put a small cost on your friendship, for what?

If they rang and asked that you took them out like a charter then you'd probably ask for something

But in either scenario, ya better bring ya own beers and some food for the table or you'll be thirsty and hungry for the day

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Old 07-26-2015, 12:05 AM   #52
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Now she's not talking to me after she found out I used her picture in the sign.

Looks like I'll be rethinking my original plan...
Yep, that's her alright.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:38 AM   #53
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Not sure if anyone read my reply at post #25. . .

BTW, I like that sign! But given some of the people I know, I'd end up with a helluva lot of weed
And I'd end up with all the ass!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	42470  
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:40 AM   #54
Guru

Ride for free anytime

Old 07-26-2015, 02:03 AM   #55
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post

Cash assistance or not... I chose Baker's boat to cruise on!!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:05 AM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Cash assistance or not... I chose Baker's boat to cruise on!!

Me too

Old 07-26-2015, 02:12 AM   #57
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I guess what they say about boating is true...

You get what you pay for.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:18 AM   #58
Guru

Quote:
That's it. I'm making a new sign!

How very San Francisco.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:28 AM   #59

City: Melbourne
Quote:
If I invite a group of people to come out for a day on the water. . .picnic, swimming, motor over the Waterside to watch fireworks, etc. . .can I ask for a fuel surcharge or should I eat the fuel costs?

Ok, let me rephrase that, since I can ask them whatever. . .is it rude, or is there any etiquette involved?

Not a big deal if I eventually ended up with a single diesel trawler. It would be a bigger issue with twin 454's

I know with any fishing boats I've had or have been invited out on, it wasn't even a question. . .you at least offered to chip in $10-$20. Just curious.
If I was invited for a trip out I would make the offer...Just good Manners
Noel S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #60
FF
Guru

Get a captains license then you can ask for money whenever you want. Just don't take more than 6 people out at a time or you will have to have the boat inspected.

Even a 6 pack boat will be inspected to have a license.

Its a nothing , a cardboard box with life preservers , fire gear etc would easily pass.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote