Old 07-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Bugs on board...

So....one day last fall I was stuffing my hammock into a little cubby and found a dead cockroach, legs up.* Then a few months ago I found another dead one in the rudder box where the sight tubes are for my water tanks.** And then.....last month when pulling the shower grates out to clean the shower pan......you guessed it....a live one.* The two dead ones could have been on board for years...they were quite crunchy.* But the new one worries me.* Where there's one...there's usually more.* But I haven't found more.* Could it be just one?* If there are more, where are they hiding?* Tom cleans the shower bilge every month....I clean the shower pan every month.* And more importantly....if we find more, how do we get rid of them??* Do you use a regular bug bomb?* Roach motel?* What gives?* Could they be in the holding tank???** EWWWW.* We pump out all the time...twice last week alone!*

What do We do?

On another note, if you have mosquitos in your area, the Racket Zappers work, and are great entertainment.*
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
RE: Bugs on board...

For those large roaches, I prefer Raid Max, either the bombs or the spray. The spray will last 3 months or so. For the small brown German cockroaches, Roach-Pruf or similar powder is the only thing that will work. They're based on boric acid and are very effective.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Guru

Thanks Keith.* They were pretty little...1.5 inches maybe.* Any idea where they might be hiding?* Could it have been just one?* The only place we're not into regularly is the anchor locker.* Well...and the holding tank.** If we bug bomb....I'm guessing you open all lockers and engine room hatches and such.* It seems like a very small area for a bug bomb.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Guru

Once in a blue moon I find a dead one like you did. Just throw it away and don't worry about it. The only bad time I had was with the German ones, since damm near nothing will kill those except the boric acid powders. They can be anywhere and get onboard in many places. One summer when they got especially bad, we sprayed the pier with garden pest spray using one of those hose sprayers. That put an end to them for that season.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:05 AM   #5

City: Caye Caulker
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C

Growing up in Florida, roaches were a everyday thing, living now in Belize,not as bad. Im going to scare you now,When you find the dead ones(not after you have sprayed) they have laid there eggs and have done there job. The best thing is to spray/bomb the sht out of the boat. The safer ,slower way is to use boric acid in the powder form all around and under every cabinet, everywhere,the little guys love dark and wet. BB
belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
belizebill wrote:The best thing is to spray/bomb the sht out of the boat. The safer ,slower way is to use boric acid in the powder form all around and under every cabinet, everywhere,the little guys love dark and wet. BB
*Bess,

What*Bill has said. Get Boric Acid at the drug store.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/pic...od3997-product

It is safe for TiVo as long as you don't use it on him.* So use it in the shower and around the base boards and in the bilge.* Then get a couple of bug bombs and do the boat as you leave.* When you come back next week everything will be fine.

The Boric Acid can be used as an on going treatment.* The Roaches eat it and literally blow up. Really.* We won't be down for the next couple of weekends due to dog commitments.* PWD Water Trial*this weekend in Raleigh at Lake Montague, Raleigh Kennel Club Picnic the*next weekend and a*Judging assignment in Greenville SC the last weekend of July.* Also we will be dog sitting the two Yorkies of Dave and Mia's (Alchemy) while they are in Sweden for two weeks.**So see you in August.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Guru

JD-* Will do.* We'll keep an eye out for ya!* Would love to see the real JD in action sometime.* Don't tell Tom or Tivo, but a PWD is on a very short list...**
Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Wait... WHAT!?!?!?!?
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

"The two dead ones could have been on board for years...they were quite crunchy."

Don't wouldn't eat any more of them once you start using the Boric Acid.

Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Guru

If you want to use the straight boric acid, you need to mix it half and half with powdered sugar, otherwise they won't eat it. I think it's better to use the commercial BA products since they have additives to keep the powder dry and useful.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Or, if you want an organic method, buy or borrow a Geko.* The little green guy will check out the whole boat in search of a meal, and they love roaches.* When he is done, simply give him to the next boat in need. No chemicals needed, and they make good pets to boot.........Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

"buy or borrow a Geko"...eat your bugs and save you 15% on your boat insurance.
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

We have plenty of Gekos here they started showing up about 15 years ago. I had never seen one in Louisiana before then. They do eat lots of bugs and like to get under the outside house lights and pig out on moths etc the ones here aren't real big and would have a hard time eating one of our full grown roaches. How about a tree frog, they come with free music.
Gekos and tree frogs are pretty messy, what goes in one end comes out the other, they aren't embarassed to make deposits anywhere.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
Anode wrote:
..eat your bugs and save you 15% on your boat insurance.
*But only if you keep him well fed ...................Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #15

Broadcast Bay Leaves around the boat. We put them in the drawers, on the shelves, everywhere.
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote