Buffing Gelcoat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capitaine R

Vessel Name
Charlie Noble
Vessel Make
32 Nordic Tug
I purchased a two stage buffing compound system that was used by one of the YouTube bloggers. The hull of the NT has been neglected for a long time and is very dull, oxidized, and chalky as the pictures show. I have only applied the first stage of the system so far. I'm using a variable speed rotary polisher at the higher RPM as suggested by the compound manufacturer. I am doing small section at a time that I tape off as I go. I have a long long way to go but I think the results are surprisingly good. I'm looking forward to seeing the results after applying the second finer stage. 20190920_182209.jpeg20190920_182249.jpeg20190916_190238.jpeg20190920_183220.jpeg

Sorry for the sideways pictures, I don't know how that happened.

Looks real good. What compound are you using? Using a wool pad?

Don’t over do it. I had a friend who cleaned up his hull very nicely and ruined his rotator cuff at the same time.

Last edited:
Looks good! Please share more about the product and grade of polishing pad you are using.

We switched from 3M polishing and wax products, to Starbrite polymer products, this year. The polymer was certainly easier to apply and remove, but the results are not as good. Fortunately, we will have endless opportunities to clean and wax as long as we own the boat :eek:

I learned about the product on a youtube vlog " boatworks today". It's the Aqua buff brand. I'm starting with the 1000 grade and then I will use the 2000 and finish with a cleaner wax of an undetermined brand. The 1000 is very aggressive and you must go cautiously with it, but this gelcoat needs a heavy cut to get thru the oxidation.

https://youtu.be/8jrrPSjWTnc

20190921_113253.jpeg

I forgot to mention I am using a wool pad for the 1000 grit compound.

Looks real good. What compound are you using? Using a wool pad?

Don’t over do it. I had a friend who cleaned up his hull very nicely and ruined his rotator cuff at the same time.
Thanks cig

I'm going to be real careful with the shoulders because I have already had my right rotator sewn back together and in a sling for 6 weeks. I can feel the left one is not holding on by much and will be next under the knife. Most of that damage was done in the many years of going to the gym 5 days a week.

[emoji24]

The guy on that YouTube channel is very knowledgeable. I’ve watched a few of his other videos.

A buddy let me borrow his tub of Aqua Buff 1000. Great stuff, and very reasonably priced - unless you’re buffing boats professionally, a tub will last most of the rest of your life.

I can’t figure out why some photos post sideways or upside down. It happens when I do everything the same as photos that post correctly. I understand about your shoulders I have had both of mine done, one from a 4 1/2 rollover in a truck with no seatbelt. The other I never figured out what caused it. The buffing looks great.

I finished up about half way from the stern to the bow on the Starboard side from the rub rail to the water line with both the 1000 and the 2000 and waxed it with some meguiars cleaner wax. Sideways pictures below. You can even see my wife, dog, and my car in the garage in the reflection 20190921_145909.jpeg20190921_183805.jpeg20190921_182814.jpeg

Buffing my painted boat, I quickly experienced R wrist/forearm pain and carpal tunnel type nerve effects. I bought from a pharmacy an elastic wrist support which helped a lot. Keeping the wrist straight rather than bent helps too.

As post 11 shows, the brilliant results are well worth temporary discomfort.

Scott... Very nice work and impressive results.
Just curious whether you notice and difference between the 2000 and the Meguires cleaner wax?
My impression from reading about the Meguires cleaner wax is it's more of a cleaner/light polish than a durable surface protector.
I've had very good results w Gelcoat Labs polymer sealant and have tried it against the Meguires and feel it has much better durability.
Having done all that prep work You might consider adding a coat of a straight polymer sealant/protector to provide better durability. If not convinced it would be interesting to do some obvious areas as a true head to head comparison.

Back in the days when I polished the bottom paint on my racing sailboat, I would suspend the buffing machine from a bungee cord secured to one of the rails above the deck. The bungee carried most of the weight, and all I had to do was direct the machine where I wanted it. Helped a lot.

Bacchus,
To tell you the truth I never thought I would be able to get the hull to shine anywhere near the results I'm getting, so I haven't thought that far ahead . I sure do want it to last, so I'm willing to try it. I read a few reviews this morning saying they had trouble with it leaving a slight hazy finish, but I'm guessing you had no trouble with that?
My wife bought the meguiars yesterday because I told her I wanted a cleaner/wax just to make sure I got all of the 2000 residue off the hull. I may be able to see a very small difference in the shine after applying the meguiars, but it is probably just removing the last of the polish haze.
Charlie will be on the hard for quite awhile because as you can see in the pictures I need to change the rub rail and refinish all the teak. So I have plenty of time and will order some of the gelcoat labs sealant and let you know how it does. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate any and all ideas.

I can’t figure out why some photos post sideways or upside down. It happens when I do everything the same as photos that post correctly.

Not sure, but I think it may have something to do with how the device was held when the photo was taken. If you’re using an Apple device, I have good luck orienting photos properly by:

1) accessing the photo and selecting “edit”
2) selecting the cropping tool (two curved arrows around a square)
3) selecting the icon at the bottom next to “cancel” (looks like stacked pages)
4) selecting “original”
5) selecting “done” at the top right of the screen
6) using that newly adjusted photo with the “manage attachments” function on the TF site.

I do this on an iPad and it always works for me. Possibly it’s different on an iPhone or laptop and I have no idea how it’s done on an Android.

Some of the photos were taken with my android phone and some were taken with my android tablet, but all of them were the correct orientation when I attached them. Oh well, maybe some nice mod will fix them . No matter, they get the general idea across.

If it's shine you really want, you need to apply a polish as the next step, than the wax over that to protect the polish. It's a three step process.

Captain Ron- finish looks beautiful.
my two cents- nows the time to get a really good wax on her to preserve that finish. 3M makes a great paste wax. A bit of work but long lasting results.
Thanks for posting.

One of my neighbors came over today and asked if I had sprayed a new coat of paint on Charlie's starboard hull. I have to be happy with that.

CaptainR
I have heard some had some diffiuculty with removal bu I had no issue.
I think one key is to apply on a clean surface and to apply sparingly vs too heavy.
I use a swirl remover w/ a light cut pad for prep and that leaves a nice clean shine. The Polymer goes on easy and should be a thin coat that dries to a light haze that seemed to remove easy unless there were heavy streaks.
I have tried several polymers on boat, car & motorhome and like them all and don't see a significant difference between them.
Good luck - report back if,when you do any comparisons.
A very nice job & outcome no matter what you finish it off with.

Bacchus,
To tell you the truth I never thought I would be able to get the hull to shine anywhere near the results I'm getting, so I haven't thought that far ahead . I sure do want it to last, so I'm willing to try it. I read a few reviews this morning saying they had trouble with it leaving a slight hazy finish, but I'm guessing you had no trouble with that?
My wife bought the meguiars yesterday because I told her I wanted a cleaner/wax just to make sure I got all of the 2000 residue off the hull. I may be able to see a very small difference in the shine after applying the meguiars, but it is probably just removing the last of the polish haze.
Charlie will be on the hard for quite awhile because as you can see in the pictures I need to change the rub rail and refinish all the teak. So I have plenty of time and will order some of the gelcoat labs sealant and let you know how it does. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate any and all ideas.

Good result CR, a rewarding feeling seeing that shine. I find cleaning the compound out of the wool pad helps a lot with hazing, every couple of hours give
the pad a good blasting with a high pressure washer or hose until you can’t see
any residual compound left. Flick as much excess water out of the pad by hand, then fit it back onto the machine, standing upwind ;) and holding as far away from yourself with pad horizontal, turn on the machine to max revs until no more spray, then keep polishing.
If you can’t avoid hot sun, use an atomising water spray bottle to keep the cutting compound from drying out too quickly.

Southern boat,
I find I have to go thru the pad cleaning ritual about ever 15/20 min. I have completly destroyed 2 pads already. I'm working on the shady side of the boat but still I need to spray lots of water on the area being worked in the florida heat. Plus at the higher RPMs the water gets used up or flinged out pretty fast. I have set the small spray bottle aside and have gone to using a pump up landscaping sprayer instead.
Thanks

Southern boat,
I find I have to go thru the pad cleaning ritual about ever 15/20 min. I have completly destroyed 2 pads already. I'm working on the shady side of the boat but still I need to spray lots of water on the area being worked in the florida heat. Plus at the higher RPMs the water gets used up or flinged out pretty fast. I have set the small spray bottle aside and have gone to using a pump up landscaping sprayer instead.
Thanks

It may depend on how you are getting the compound/polish onto the hull sides. Are putting the polish directly onto the wool pad or applying it to the boat with a round foam applicator pad?
I find putting a small amount onto the applicator pad, covering an area of approx 4ft x 2ft in small circular motions, then buffing from one edge to the other, like mowing the lawn. You miss nothing, it’s nice and even with equal amount of polish to all areas, with minimum waste. If it’s heavily oxidised, do the same area again until you are happy with the result.
Pour the liquid compound/polish from the bigger container into a small plastic sauce bottle for easy handling.

The instructions for this compound wants it to be painted on surface to be buffed using a chip brush. This compound is a paste in a gallon bucket and is very firm, especially the 1000 grit. Then you are to mist the compound and the pad with water and to keep it moist during the polishing process using a high rpm. I think the pad getting clogged so quickly is due, at least in part to the extreme chalky state of the surface.
But I will try it your way and see if it helps, I'll try anything once.

Thanks

Scott... Very nice work and impressive results.
Just curious whether you notice and difference between the 2000 and the Meguires cleaner wax?
My impression from reading about the Meguires cleaner wax is it's more of a cleaner/light polish than a durable surface protector.
I've had very good results w Gelcoat Labs polymer sealant and have tried it against the Meguires and feel it has much better durability.
Having done all that prep work You might consider adding a coat of a straight polymer sealant/protector to provide better durability. If not convinced it would be interesting to do some obvious areas as a true head to head comparison.

"I've had very good results w Gelcoat Labs polymer sealant and have tried it against the Meguires and feel it has much better durability."
Exactly our experience over many years as well.

The instructions for this compound wants it to be painted on surface to be buffed using a chip brush. This compound is a paste in a gallon bucket and is very firm, especially the 1000 grit. Then you are to mist the compound and the pad with water and to keep it moist during the polishing process using a high rpm. I think the pad getting clogged so quickly is due, at least in part to the extreme chalky state of the surface.
But I will try it your way and see if it helps, I'll try anything once.

Thanks

Ah, I see, I was thinking a sloppy liquid compound, which I was referring to. You would want to get the mixtures just right to keep everything even, it may not suit an OCD operator like me ;)

I have ordered the sealant from gel coat labs and looking forward to seeing how it applies and holds up in the Florida sun

Actually I use F 11. Can only get it online and it’s a bit pricey but boy do I love it!

Ah, I see, I was thinking a sloppy liquid compound, which I was referring to. You would want to get the mixtures just right to keep everything even, it may not suit an OCD operator like me ;)
I have purchased a different brand of 100% wool buffing bonnets in a 5 inch size for working above the rub rail. This brand has a curved thin flexible hook and loop backing pad. I am not sure why, but this pad does not seem to be clogging up so far. And the curved outside edge works very well on the edges of the inset area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom