Brrrrr - First real wintery blast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Know you won't believe it, but last month we spent nearly a week in Juneau, Alaska visiting a refrigeration man (yes, refrigeration is necessary even in Alaska) and his 100% Eskimo girlfriend. They kept their house so warm we needed to open an exterior door to moderate the temperature in the guest bedroom to sleep comfortably. (They complain about their heating bill.)

Last edited:
Know you won't believe it, but last month we spent nearly a week in Juneau, Alaska visiting a refrigeration man and his 100% Eskimo girlfriend. They kept their house so warm we needed to open an exterior door to moderate the temperature in the guest bedroom. (They complain about their heating bill.)

Photo of girlfriend no wonder it gets HOT inside

108582b6e0a8ce0e5618f51832c37bd8.jpg

-3 at home - snow on the ground
15 in the desert (Snowbird winter home) never snows there.
9 here in Lisbon Portugal (Christmas visit to Daughter and family (Grandchildren of course))

Currently -16 (3.2F) and gusting 31 knots. Wouldn't want to rush out of this katabatic wind cold snap, eh?!!?

Al, in Ketchikan, should be seeing clouds today as it looks like the storms in the Pacific are winning from the Aleutian's southward.

This cold snap has been so deep, and so far south, Vancouver may get one of our 2 to 4 feet in a day snowfalls Kitimat is known for as warm moist Pacific air rides up and over the cold air at ground level. Wouldn't that be a hoot :eek:

Last edited:
Not more than -5C where I´m currently at (Gotland, Baltic Sea) but gale force so must keep engine running and wipers wiping when at the ferry, or they´ll freeze to the windscreen - fun!

Wifey B: Currently at 11:00 AM, 81 degrees and sunny. Walking around Paradise island wearing t-shirt and shorts. High today 83 degrees. Low tonight 72 degrees. 12 mph breeze. :)

Going down to sub zero tonight with a high of 14* tomorrow. So far we only have about 9" of snow so not too bad there. I can't wait to get back down south to AZ after the New Year!

Know you won't believe it, but last month we spent nearly a week in Juneau, Alaska visiting a refrigeration man (yes, refrigeration is necessary even in Alaska) and his 100% Eskimo girlfriend. They kept their house so warm we needed to open an exterior door to moderate the temperature in the guest bedroom to sleep comfortably. (They complain about their heating bill.)

Mark,
I had an eskimo girlfriend too in a mining camp near Bethell on the Kuskokwim R in western Alaska. I was 19 and she was 14. Her dad's name was Willy. He was a very big cat skinner and she was small. So small her nick name was "Tiny".

Bethel is quite the place isn't it Eric? That whole river delta is interesting. We towed barges up to Bethel a couple of trips up there, that and Dillingham, Kotzebue, Nome etc. As cold as it is down here, it must be brutal up there. Brrrrr. I didn't see that gal above when I was there though. If I had I would I probably still be there!

Coincidentally, the refrigeration man I spoke of works out of Bethel and his name is Eric. His Eskimo girl friend came from there too!

Greetings,
Mr. tt. I can readily see why the US is loathe to convert to metric. It would potentially cost billions if not trillions to convert manufacturers facilities to metric and most probably put some of the smaller companies out of business. Eventually, though, it's going to come about.

The rest of the civilized world went ahead with the conversion back in the 70s and seemed to survive just fine. And besides, we have no manufacturing left, right? And the bigs ones all converted some time ago. The car companies, Deere, Cummins......

The rest of the civilized world went ahead with the conversion back in the 70s and seemed to survive just fine. And besides, we have no manufacturing left, right? And the bigs ones all converted some time ago. The car companies, Deere, Cummins......

The conversion is not difficult, but in some areas is quite slow. Even now hardware stores here will still sell more nuts & bolts in imperial sizes than metric. Its only been the last 5 years or so where metric nuts & bolts have started to become common.

Of course distance, liquid measures and weights were metric right from the start but often in the same containers so kinda odd numbers. eg Drink cans/bottles went from 13 & 26 fluid ounces to 375 & 750 ml. Eventually metric sizes in round numbers appeared.

So I don't think conversion to metric wold be as costly or difficult as opponents would have you believe.

Wifey B: I've never had an Eskimo girl friend. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

19 and 14? :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

:angel:

I have. She was called "Nanouk" of course. She was a magnificient Pyrenean sheepdog (55 kg+) very demandelingy cuddly. Once, a friend of mine, the owner, walked her with three friends of her (same breed) in the middle of Stockholm. Tourist bus stopped, Camera toting Japanese tourists (bless them) lively discussing that YES!, there are Polar bears walking the streets of Stockholm!

Last week when in British Columbia I noticed the vegetables and fruits in the grocery store were being sold in pounds. Meat was in grams. House sales were listed in square feet with lot sizes in hectares. Reported off shore winds were in knots.

None of this seemed confusing. Thank goodness I could get a pint of beer.

Last week when in British Columbia I noticed the vegetables and fruits in the grocery store were being sold in pounds. Meat was in grams. House sales were listed in square feet with lot sizes in hectares. Reported off shore winds were in knots.

Car tires here mix sizings. Wheel size is in inches, everything else, width and profile, is metric. Odd.

Douglas Channel
Issued 09:30 PM PST 16 December 2016
Tonight and Saturday
Wind northeasterly outflow 15 to 20 knots diminishing to northeasterly outflow 10 to 15 near noon Saturday.

What? No storm/gale/freezing spray warnings?

Currently -11C, which is the same temperature it was at midday so things are warming up, and the winds are only 16 knots.

You can stick a fork in this one; the cold snap and katabatic winds appear to be done. Now, we wait for snow...

Last edited:

Give us Canucks a break. We have converted, but only the next generation has had metric from early childhood. Those of us who grew up Imperial have some difficulty with change so they humour us by still using a lot of Imperial measures.

We still buy a lot of stuff from the US too, so we need to understand their measurement system and of course our American cars need SAE tools.

We still pronounce Zed correctly and spell words like honour, humour, neighbour correctly. Our gallon goes further.........

Over 60 years ago, I was in machine shop class (yes, they once had trade schools in the U.S.) and we had to learn the "unified thread" a combination of U.S. and metric thread forms. Of course nothing ever came of it, but it did make sense.

Over 60 years ago, I was in machine shop class (yes, they once had trade schools in the U.S.) and we had to learn the "unified thread" a combination of U.S. and metric thread forms. Of course nothing ever came of it, but it did make sense.

Whoa, that´s pre-Washington right? Now before Yáll start - I am pre- Beyonce and such!!

Murray, do you know the Kitimat guy who bought Butedale, who wants to develop it? I was talking to him at Shearwater last summer and he has big plans. Is there any buzz in Kitimat about Butedale?

We still pronounce Zed correctly and spell words like honour, humour, neighbour correctly.........
How does Canada spell and say "aluminium" vs "aluminum". Here we spell it "ium", and pronounce it accordingly.
On a cycling trip in Ireland there was a group of Americans, they kept asking me to say "aluminium/aluminum", then I realized the word is spelt and said differently, across the Pacific.

Went up to Burnaby today and it was snowing lightly in LaConner when we left and about 22 F degrees. Sunny and nice all day in BC, just got home a bit ago and see the forecast even for here is snow overnight and tomorrow. There was quite a bit on the ground in BC starting around Bellingham WA.

How does Canada spell and say "aluminium" vs "aluminum". Here we spell it "ium", and pronounce it accordingly.
On a cycling trip in Ireland there was a group of Americans, they kept asking me to say "aluminium/aluminum", then I realized the word is spelt and said differently, across the Pacific.
I think the word is spelled the same everywhere, just some folks cant say it right.:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom