Brrrrr - First real wintery blast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: You dudes are making me shiver with all the ice age talk. 82 degrees in Paradise. :D

Hey! I've always called Kitimat the little city perched on the edge of Paradise.

If you don't believe me, just find Kitimat on a satellite image and then zoom out. Pretty much the least populated area on the whole coast of BC with tons of potential for adventure, and never a crowded anchorage :thumb:

A balmy -2ish (30F) in Powell River. Feels great compared to the -30ish (-22F) weather at work. Might be why I'm the only guy in town walking around in jeans and a t-shirt. Feels almost spring like to me. Often times I'm in shorts when I get home. All what one is acclimated to.

I'll pay for it when I go back in January...

Last edited:
I leave for Oahu on Saturday. Temps in the mid 70s. It will be nice. Our furnace died a couple weeks ago. I have considered moving onto the boat to be warm.

I was in Sydney years ago on business for about 3 weeks. An Australian girl who had been to the US many times compared Melbourne to the NE US and Sydney to the South. Interesting that as climate flips it seems pace and personalities also do. Makes you wonder if climate has an influence.
Living in Melbourne might encourage stoicism, in the same way as the Brits accept consistently poor weather as the norm.
It may relate more to migration, Melbourne is said to be the second largest Greek city in the world. Sydney has a broader migration contribution to the population.

Wind woke me up...currently -15C (5F) with winds 31 knots gusting to 40.

There's a band of moisture from Hawaii to the Aleutian Islands trying to move west in the Pacific, but it's being stopped like it's hitting a brick wall. This is one persistent (9 days now I think) arctic air mass!

you have I slept yet the mountains which overshadow a little bit.

I myself live north of 60 ° 30 'here in the midnight sun, such as the setting sun.

This night the brightness brings a huge amount of different birds from all over the world come here to make babies. North US apparently the same? It's a really cool after the winter, only a few species lives at all times.

We sea was already thin ice. unfortunately, the boating season is short max. 6-7 months of the year due to weather ° -C.

I also hope that it snows here, it is beautiful and makes everything so bright. currently only darkness where the sun rises, it is only 6 hours and it does not rise very high zenith perhaps 13 ° angle

North Baltic Sea
What country are you from?

Looks like you folks out west are sending us yet another present. So generous of you :)

Tonight's forecast for coastal RI

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...3 TO 14 ABOVE. (Fahrenheit)

Wifey B: On our way to Nassau. Current temp between FLL and Nassau is 78 degrees. Nice breeze of 15-20 knots as we crossed the gulf stream, now 10-15 knots, maybe even less, and 2' seas outside the stream, 2-3' in it. Beautiful day to be out on the water. High today, 93 degrees. Should be there around 1 PM as cruising at varying speeds between 30 and 35 knots. Just relaxing and snacking while we enjoy the beauty of the sea and the warmth of the sun beaming down. :hide:

A question for those near Vancouver BC. We were planning to visit my daughter in Burnaby on Sunday and I am seeing conflicting reports of snow that day. Its a long drive from LaConner WA to BC and I don't want to do it in lousy weather. Anyone have a good grasp on the forecast for Sunday? Looking for local thoughts. Thanks!

I am watching the forecast for Sunday too. I see that for Burnaby 15 to 20 cm of snow is forecast. Being a Sunday the traffic should mainly stay at home, but still, if you can postpone your trip, I would. Burnaby (where I grew up) rarely gets that much snow in a single day. The first day of any major snowfall is usually chaos on the roads, especially mid week. On a Sunday those who don't have to drive won't be out, but still, the roads are inadequate for a snowfall. The forecast shows likely warming and rain on Monday afternoon.

A question for those near Vancouver BC. We were planning to visit my daughter in Burnaby on Sunday and I am seeing conflicting reports of snow that day. Its a long drive from LaConner WA to BC and I don't want to do it in lousy weather. Anyone have a good grasp on the forecast for Sunday? Looking for local thoughts. Thanks!

Not too bad a drive, maybe 80 miles? That said, unless you have NEXUS the border crossing past mid morning may be a wait due to the holiday season. I'm not in BC this week, but it could get interesting on Sunday with many skiers anticipating a big dump at Whistler and Grouse Mtn. Watch local weather for snow level elevation predictions on Saturday.

I echo Keith, it is a potential wet sloppy Sunday.

Yes, distance wise its not that bad but it took over 2 hours a couple months ago in good though rainy weather, Thanks koliver and sunchaser!

weather

Here's a forecast for Vancouver that I was sent

Ted

Snow in Vancouver!

Chilled Vancouver commuters faced their second day of winter hell today, as an additional ¼ centimeter of the peculiar white stuff fell, bringing the Lower Mainland to its knees and causing millions of dollars worth of damage to the marijuana crops. Scientists suspect that the substance is some form of frozen water particles and experts from Saskatchewan are being flown in. With temperatures dipping to the almost but not quite near zero mark, Vancouverites were warned to double insulate their lattes before venturing out.

Vancouver police recommended that people stay inside except for emergencies, such as running out of espresso or biscotti to see them through Vancouver 's most terrible storm to date. The local Canadian Tire reported that they had completely sold out of fur-lined sandals.

Drivers were cautioned to put their convertible tops up, and several have been shocked to learn that their SUV's actually have four wheel drive, although most have no idea how to use it.

Weary commuters faced soggy sushi, and the threat of frozen breast implants. Although the Coastal Health Authority reassured everyone that most breast implants were perfectly safe to 25 below, down-filled bras are flying off the shelves at Mountain Equipment Co-op.

LOL! I try to avoid the roads in any snowy conditions due to the inherent lack of driving ability of folks in the NW!

Wifey B: On our way to Nassau. Current temp between FLL and Nassau is 78 degrees. Nice breeze of 15-20 knots as we crossed the gulf stream, now 10-15 knots, maybe even less, and 2' seas outside the stream, 2-3' in it. Beautiful day to be out on the water. High today, 93 degrees. Should be there around 1 PM as cruising at varying speeds between 30 and 35 knots. Just relaxing and snacking while we enjoy the beauty of the sea and the warmth of the sun beaming down. :hide:

To each their own :)

Here's a beach, BC style. Burnett Bay, on the mainland north of Port Hardy, south of Cape Caution and open to the Pacific. We stayed here for days on our sea kayak trip south. Completely uninhabited, no roads into it, no safe anchorage so it's a place for the wolves, deer, and whatever paddlers are moving through. Awesome!

Found this Vimeo footage of a small plane doing touch & go landings on the beach, which is about 3 kilometers long:

https://vimeo.com/134793340

Ohhhh! I wish I was cruising to Nassau right now!

Forecast for here calls for 2deg F and winds up to 55mph tonight, snow Saturday.

Ken

If you don't believe me, just find Kitimat on a satellite image and then zoom out. Pretty much the least populated area on the whole coast of BC with tons of potential for adventure,..

Did that, impressive. Closest I've been to your 'hood is Hyder by land. Different place for sure.

So,... zoom out from Mulege, Baja Sur. That is my winter haunt for last 10 years. I be down there soon until mid-April, can't wait, tired of shoveling snow!

And I can barely wait for the sun to clock north again so that I might anchor off in your beautiful BC Provence!

Curently -33C, even the clouds stopped moving, totally frozen in the sky!
But I am a lucky guy, I have a load of good wine and scotch to keep me warm waiting for the admiral to be back home!

Aboard Adios Dinero just east of Toronto -10 c or 5 F, cabin 70f, engine room 36f, heated water lines and ice eater is working fine. Just floating in my 50 foot circle of winter lake. I will turn on the heated mattress pad for a few minutes before bed.
After the rams and seahawks game,,,,,,,,

Did that, impressive. Closest I've been to your 'hood is Hyder by land. Different place for sure.

So,... zoom out from Mulege, Baja Sur. That is my winter haunt for last 10 years. I be down there soon until mid-April, can't wait, tired of shoveling snow!

And I can barely wait for the sun to clock north again so that I might anchor off in your beautiful BC Provence!

I guess almost everybody gets Hyderized once...

Man, it looks DRY in Mulege!!!!

We probably share Humpback Whales :)

Not a hint but neat in any case...
giphy.gif

Well at -30C I would say that the best hint would be the following one

frozen-fish.jpg

Greetings,
Only -30C here...

Well, only +30°C in the saloon but 33° outside.

About to catch the Ferry downtown to Bavarian Bier Cafe - its the time of the year to tell lies etc with some old colleagues eg wow, my year was tough. I only managed 3 months up on the Reef! That's no lie of course, but I was aiming for double that.

Douglas Channel
GALE WARNING IN EFFECT
FREEZING SPRAY WARNING IN EFFECT
Issued 04:00 PM PST 15 December 2016
Tonight and Friday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northeasterly outflow 25 to 35 knots diminishing to northeasterly outflow 15 to 25 Friday afternoon.

Currently -15C (5F) with 31 knot gusts. Forecast calls for diminishing winds to 25 knots by Sunday, then 5 to 15 variable on Monday. Maybe some Christmas winter crab will be on the menu...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom