Bronze. thru-hull valve question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Hudspeth

Vessel Name
North Sea
Vessel Make
Rawson
I have a 1972 Rawson that has multiple thru-hull valves. They are all bonded and functional, but I am concerned about the age. I am the fourth owner with no old maintenance records to look upon.
My question to you is whether or not a person could determine an actual need or not regarding replacement of valves, since replaceing just to replace for peace of mind seems a waste, but foolish not to if needed or just prudent maintenance.

They are the old style with a locking screw and lever.

I don't know what an old style with a locking screw and lever is. But if they are from 1972, they may be tapered plug sea cocks. These are robust and can be easily lapped to restore sealing and function. See Servicing Tapered Cone Seacocks Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

But sea cocks can corrode, particularly if the bonding was compromised. I had a Perko ball valve seacock that the top came off in my hand with the boat in the water. That was scary until I got hauled and replaced it.

These ball valve types can't be serviced other than maybe to squirt some silicone grease to lubricate the ball. Take a hard look for corrosion and if you are on the hard you might want to unscrew the top to see if the threads are corroded. That is what happened to mine- the threads on the top bushing were gone.

David

Take a wire brush and clean a section.

If its Pink, its time for replacement , if bronze ,have no fear.

Back
Top Bottom