Old 06-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #1

City: orange beach, AL
Broker travel expenses

Looking for some insight on who pays a Brokers travel expenses? Example: Broker is Alabama and 2 boats he has suggested we look at are in South Florida, which is going to require air travel, hotels rooms, etc. What is normal? Just in case its a $$ sensitive issue, price range of vessel is between 250K to 325K. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some insight.

geauxcruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sidney
Is your relationship with him a long standing one?
Why is he suggesting these two?
Has he seen them in person?
If not, I doubt I would be footing the bill for his look see. I would make the trip myself and suggest he co-ordinate with a broker there.

If you are only working from pictures, I'm betting there are some folks here who might take the initial look for you.

Barring all that, you might just want to ask him how it works.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Regarding expenses, I would assume the broker pays his expenses any you pay yours. But, as with so many things, check the contract you have with your broker as it should be spelled out clearly there.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Is your relationship with him a long standing one?
Why is he suggesting these two?
Has he seen them in person?
If not, I doubt I would be footing the bill for his look see. I would make the trip myself and suggest he co-ordinate with a broker there.

If you are only working from pictures, I'm betting there are some folks here who might take the initial look for you.

Barring all that, you might just want to ask him how it works.
One of the vessels is his recommendation based on what we are looking for, and one is we found ourselves that we had him research. We are planning on going ourselves for sure this week!! Just didn't know if he needs or wants to go also, and if he does go, who pays his expenses.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
He is in all likelihood making 60% of the 10% listing fee by bringing the buyer.

On the 250K that will be 15K, on 325K that will be 19.5K. He needs to be paying his own way.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
FWIW, when my broker and I flew from WA to Marina Del Rey to survey and sea trial a boat that we had an accepted offer on, I pain her travel. It was a one day trip, down and back.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Henderson
Vessel Name: Charismatic
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
I would not be paying for my brokers travel expenses. I would expect him to setup my inspection with the listing broker. He would be welcome to come if he wanted but I would also tell him it wasn't necessary. Is there a reason you need him there?
Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #8
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
I would have a conversation with your broker.

Commission splitting deals vary depending on how much work the buyer's broker does. Usually the first showing by the listing broker doesn't affect the split which is often 50/50, but subsequent showings may.

Your buyer's broker will decide whether it is necessary for him to go on a showing: either to protect his split of the commission or to make sure that the deal closes after survery findings. So, in general it is his decision if he travels or not as he has a vested interest in doing so.

I have bought a couple of boats far from my home base and in these cases my buyer's broker either didn't travel to the boat or paid his own way for the seatrial and survey. These were $100K+ boats.

Having my buyer's broker present at the survey certainly smoothed the subsequent negotiations. He knew exactly what was wrong as he had seen it with his own eyes and could represent it as such to the seller.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Paul View Post
I would not be paying for my brokers travel expenses. I would expect him to setup my inspection with the listing broker. He would be welcome to come if he wanted but I would also tell him it wasn't necessary. Is there a reason you need him there?
That's how it worked for us twice. A local broker we had been working with in the PNW set everything up. They had a co-brokering agreement with the boats we went to look at. One was in Southern Cal and the other was in Florida. We bought the one in Cal. Our broker handled all the $'s from us, paper work etc. The listing broker was a good guy and worked well with our broker but ultimately both were paid by the seller.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I cannot imagine paying a brokers expenses to go look at a boat.
www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Kevin nailed it - "no!"
Old 06-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #12

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Unless the broker is a registered marine surveyor I can't think of any reason why he would be there. The survey will drive price negotiations.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I cannot imagine paying a brokers expenses to go look at a boat.

Not knowing how far into the process they are I assumed (shouldn't do that) it was maybe a lack of confidence in window shopping alone.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #14

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
I have had clients pay for me to travel to look at a boat. Not to see what color the pillows may be but to tell the client if the boat is good enough that he should spend the money for him and his wife to travel a long distance to inspect it themselves.
If the broker goes without the buyer just to inspect the boat, so the buyer does not have to make the trip, then paying the expense of the broker is reasonable. Especially if the deal does not happen. The buyers broker should travel to the survey without a doubt. Unless I have a close relationship with a client I would not want to spend the money myself. But I have traveled from Florida to California, Europe, New England, the Great Lakes and more for clients I know, without charging them.
I do "courtesy showings" all the time of boats here to buyers for brokers from out of state, so that broker does not have to travel here.
Menzies thinks the broker will get 60% of the commission, but most interstate deals are 50/50 and the brokers have to split 50% with the office, nothing like the $15,000 to $19,000 he writes about.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #15
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Tucker's comments match my own experience as a buyer/seller and a year spent as a yacht broker in Annapolis.

Another thing that your buyers broker can do that might be just as good as him going is to have a friend (of the broker) look at the boat for you or hire a surveyor to just take a quick look.

When I lived in Oriental, NC I looked at a couple of boats for my former colleague in Annapolis, one of which was a very nice Pacific Seacraft that closed a few months later. The others weren't worth another look. In another case my buyer's broker got a surveyor in New Orleans he knew to look at a boat that looked good in the pics, but had been used as a teenage hang out and was trashed. That surveyor took pics of things the listing broker didn't want a buyer to see including some used condoms underneath the bed , and that was the end of that boat buying possibility. Best $100 I ever spent on a boat.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #16
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
When we were looking at boats, our broker arranged visits with the local broker. If we had wanted our broker to come with us, we would have paid his expenses. But, we were satisfied to go without him.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
Menzies thinks the broker will get 60% of the commission, but most interstate deals are 50/50 and the brokers have to split 50% with the office, nothing like the $15,000 to $19,000 he writes about.
I am bit confused by this statement.

Isn't the broker and the "office" one and the same.

The agent is the one who has to split his commission with the broker/office under which he holds his license?

Are you a broker or a sales agent?
Old 06-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #18

Update!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxcruise View Post
Looking for some insight on who pays a Brokers travel expenses? Example: Broker is Alabama and 2 boats he has suggested we look at are in South Florida, which is going to require air travel, hotels rooms, etc. What is normal? Just in case its a $$ sensitive issue, price range of vessel is between 250K to 325K. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some insight.
Ok, thanks everyone for the comments. But I need to update my original post.
The wife and I came to look at 6 vessels WITHOUT our Broker present. He set up all meetings and appointments. Vessel #6 was THE one! Offer made and deal accepted. NOW, a new question? Does Broker come to the Sea Trial, Cruise Inspection, and Mechanical Inspection at his own expense?
Old 06-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxcruise View Post

Ok, thanks everyone for the comments. But I need to update my original post.
The wife and I came to look at 6 vessels WITHOUT our Broker present. He set up all meetings and appointments. Vessel #6 was THE one! Offer made and deal accepted. NOW, a new question? Does Broker come to the Sea Trial, Cruise Inspection, and Mechanical Inspection at his own expense?
Sorry, not "Cruise" Inspection. Meant to say SURVEY!!
Old 06-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #20
Guru

Simple answer - absolutely yes!

This is where he starts to earn his money.