Broker Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I don't know how many there are of you out there, but I'll throw this in anyway,

I have a 1986 Mainship 36' Aft Cabin boat in better than average condition with a 7.5 KW generator which we never use except for starting and running every other week to keep it alive.
Would I de-value the boat if I were to remove this genny and recover the space with an additional 50 gallon water tank, larger holding tank, and an ElectraScan for areas where it would be legal? As cruisers, this would be more valuable to us. This would also reduce the weight on my stern somewhat.
I just bought a Honda EU2000i and that suits all of our needs. It burns about 1 gallon every 6 hours as opposed to the Kohler 7.5 burning about 1 gal an hour.

Thanks in advance

Tony B

Pure guess, you would be devaluing the boat. Some potential buyers may want a generator, others who would not need a generator may think it harder to sell when they sell.

To me the boat would be worth way less without a generator. If I was buying and 2 similar boats one with a gen and one without the one without wouldn't get a look from me.

I agree with Marty. You are removing an item that will cost $10,000 to replace and you are replacing it with a $1,000 item. Even though it may not have much value to you, I think you are devaluing the boat to do what you propose.

David

I would absolutely NOT do this for all the above reasons.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Tony, I gotta agree with everybody above. But....if you plan on keeping the boat 5 more years, go for whatever makes you and your radio operator happy. That's worth more than 10 grand!

I agree with Marty. You are removing an item that will cost $10,000 to replace and you are replacing it with a $1,000 item. Even though it may not have much value to you, I think you are devaluing the boat to do what you propose.

David

I agree it will devalue the boat but by how much? $10,000 is the replacement value but it doesn't add $10,000 in resale value to the boat. It is not a straight line equation. Amortize whatever it actually is over 10 years and it's an even easier thing to swallow.

The way I see it our old boats are pretty much bottomed out in value now. If you keep what you have to a high standard it is going to be infinitely more desirable 10 years from now than an identical boat with a generator and poor maintenance. IMO it will at most be a $4-5,000 deduct on comparably maintained, identical model boats. Where you sell it geographically will probably be a bigger deal because no generator to power AC in Florida will be a bigger deal than say Massachusetts.

If I didn't agree with everyone here, I would not have even posted this question. I was kind of hoping that it might balance out.
Cruisers and normal people don't think alike. With long range cruising, the most important thing is usually tankage, whether it be water, waste or fuel. With a given size boat like a 36 Mainship, there is only so much room and that's that. If I were to set up strictly for cruising I would already have made the change. This would definitely limit my buyers market if I decide to sell. In the past 22 years, I have owned 7 boats and each was my 'last boat' thinking at the time, I wasn't looking for another boat. So why should things change now? After all I have this boat almost 2 years now.

Tony, I gotta agree with everybody above. But....if you plan on keeping the boat 5 more years, go for whatever makes you and your radio operator happy. That's worth more than 10 grand!

Hey Blue

The radio operator has improved her skills as we worked our way northward. I'm a proud man now.

So, how are you doing and where the heck are you?

Tony b

LOL tell her hi for me! We just got back from Alabama and Mississippi. Getting hauled a week Monday in Lake Charles La by which time I hope we have decided on where to winter. So many places.....so little time :lol:

I tried to talk Michelle into visiting you'all but she has this aversion to cold weather. I guess I just answered my own question and guess I will be instructed to set a course for the west coast of Florida shortly. Me, I am happy anywhere as long as it's above water! Are you still planning on continuing inland next spring?

.....! Are you still planning on continuing inland next spring?

Most definitely. We currently are planning to go up to the northern part of Kentucky Lake and using that as our home base. From there we will be exploring Lake Barkley, the Cumberland River and the Ohio River.
Northern Ky Lake will put me a little over 5 hours from my daughters by car and only about 3 hours from Helens son and grandbabies. So everyone will be within a half day's drive except Helen's daughter who will be way, way down in Wylie Texas. In addition to normal get-togethers, we will have to make at least 2 trips to Wylie, Tx to see her daughter and take care of our wellness tests on medicare. We are still claiming Tx. as our official residence. Seems like everyone requires a land address. I tell ya, getting old is not for wimps.

As for northern Al, the weather here is not that bad in the winter. We are actually hoping for one good snowfall. Right now the deer are taking over the park and their babies are everywhere. Now that school has started back, we pretty much have the entire park to ourselves with the exception of the RV area which is well away and out of sight of us. Weekends still brings people here though.

Also right now the "Loopers" are starting to come in. They have their fall convention here at the park. They are expecting about 80 - 90 boats to be in attendance.

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys in the near future.

Tony B

You mention fuel tankage being a major interest of cruisers, why? I am in the middle of vastly reducing my tankage. There is nowhere in the lower 48 that the fuel stops aren't in plentiful supply. I prefer storage over fuel tankage. However I am talking about a burn rate of two gallons an hour.

Simple for me.

If boat is to be stayed upon overnight(s) on the hook or doing much cruising... I require a full-tilt-boogie, bolted down, good condition gen set that will run everything at the same time... if necessary.

If boat is for day cruises or maybe even occasional over night on the hook... then I can take it with or without.

You mention fuel tankage being a major interest of cruisers, why? I am in the middle of vastly reducing my tankage. There is nowhere in the lower 48 that the fuel stops aren't in plentiful supply. I prefer storage over fuel tankage. However I am talking about a burn rate of two gallons an hour.

I didn't mean to imply that tankage is of major interest to cruisers. It is of major interest to me. Fuel stops are not necessarily plentiful in La. or coming up from the Gulf coast to the Tenn - Tom Waterway. They are there and the trip is do-able, but not always convenient. And waste management is even more difficult. You have to fuel up where you can and not where you want. The same goes for waste pumping facilities. That is not convenient. I burn 50% more fuel at only 6 kts. and I only carry 200 gallons. While on the go, we don't need that much electricity.
Since you are a broker, what are your feelings toward the original question?
The boat is 28 years old and so what would be more valuable, the 28 year old generator or more tankage? Consider that even if one is not cruising they could enjoy the luxury of using the additional tankage without having to meter it especially when it comes to showers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom