Old 12-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Austin
Vessel Name: S/V Frimi
Vessel Model: West Wight Potter
Houston Boat show Winter 2016

Ahoy

I want to take the admiral to the Houston boat show to see if and which trailer-able trawler would be acceptable.

Is there likely to be any there? I looked at the floor plan and nothing jumped out at me.

I know there'll be fishing trawlers, maybe that will be sufficient.

Houston is close to me, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #2

City: Lake Charles
I attend the Houston boat show every January, and I can't ever remember seeing any trailerable trawlers. As a matter of fact, it seems like there have been fewer large cabin boats the last couple years. There are a lot of fishing boats, runabouts, pontoon boats, and accessories at this show.
altouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Wonder if Garmin will be there?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Austin
Vessel Name: S/V Frimi
Vessel Model: West Wight Potter
Houston Boat show Review

Houston's Boat show is only slightly better than Austin's and doesn't compare to the San Diego or Seattle Boat shows for selection.

I went to look at Trawlers capable of doing the Loop.

I was some what disappointed, but I did discover the parameters that are acceptable to the Admiral, so that was a good thing.

There were six boats at the show worth considering for my planned cruise. The Nautic group had a 28 foot with a cuddy cabin with a shower, there was also a 40 foot boat with basically a master bed room and a kids room up forward.

LMC Marine had a better selection of boats from 25 to 40 feet all positioned together in a pod so you could walk between them. These were really set up for day trips, Although the forty foot boat was extremely nice with two major cabins below as well as a stand up shower with a door in the head.

The most intriguing boat that wasn't there was the compact 23 Pilot house a brochure for which was available at Lynn Sailboats. Too small for us to do the loop.

Every other boat at the show was either a fishing, Ski or Pontoon.

There was a Fold-a-boat there which I wanted to discuss with the booth attendant, but he was busy with his phone.

Still the admiral and I had a good time. I'll probably try to arrange a trip to one of the REAL boat shows soon.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:15 PM   #5

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
There is an" in the water" boat show @ South Shore Harbor on Clear Lake in late March. I went the last 3 years and there is a day of dock walking and going aboard mostly used boats. Might be a worthwhile trip.

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
No experience with that show in particular but I was recently at the Cleveland Boat Show which I would assume would be representative of a non-flagship show.

Saw very few boats that could be considered trawler - indeed the only thing close were the Back Cove semi-displacement boats (Very nice and my favorite actually). Was primarily center consoles followed by express cruisers and bow riders with a smattering of ski boats and pontoons from your big name production builders. There should be a list of exhibitors available by now but my guess would be you won't find what you are looking for - not a big enough volume to justify doing all the boat shows for trawler/pocket trawler builders. Should you go anyway...of course...
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote