Bright Work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Tales

Vessel Name
Summer Breeze
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 48' CPMY
Has anyone used Sea Gold by Petite?? I think it only comes in a satin finish and is a water based solution. I am very curious.

Fish Tales

I am curious, but dubious. I can't give a first-hand report, since I have given up on water-based paints and varnishes.
I tried Pettits' Hydrocoat water-based antifouling last year. After years of great success with ABC#3, I figured I should give it a try, being environmentally conscientious and all .......... Never again!
I tried Tremclad water-base, because I was told it will soon be the only version available. It is crap, in my opinion.
I have used water-based varnishes in the past, but not on a boat. They never seem to have the gloss or durability of real varnish.
So, I would like to hear that this new water-based boat varnish is the greatest thing, but I am not going to be a guinea pig on this one!

Go for it and let us know how it works for you.
I am a fan of water based acrylic polishes for ease of use.
I don't know if this is one, but quick dry and multi-coats and easy cleanup in one day is good.

Instead of water based, try Le Tonkinoise. I used it exclusively on my GB and it is only linseed oil and tung oil. No solvents, traditional varnish. No poisons, no solvents to flash off, gives a good thick coating. I used to use foam brushes and throw them away each day. It will skin over in the can so one of those spray cans of nitrogen(?) is useful. Also, as the can gets used, filter it through an old nylon or similar. Lovely smell too.

Greetings,
Timely subject. At some point I'd like to start a regime of re-coating interior teak, both veneer and board. Looking for a matte finish. I'm sure I've posed this question at least ONCE before but I can't find it as per usual...Sorry for the repeat. I have no idea if the current finish is original or an over coat of some sort.
Mr. X is the Le T finish matte?

We just did our toe rail with Cetol Marine Light. Very easy to apply

I just refinished our table using Sea Gold. It was easy to apply and looks great. I'll take a photo and post so you can see for yourselves. It was my winter project and is still in my garage waiting until I reinstall this weekend.

Ask away .

I used System Three water based varnish once.
A very thin and not very durable finish.

Instead of water based, try Le Tonkinoise. I used it exclusively on my GB and it is only linseed oil and tung oil. No solvents, traditional varnish. No poisons, no solvents to flash off, gives a good thick coating. I used to use foam brushes and throw them away each day. It will skin over in the can so one of those spray cans of nitrogen(?) is useful. Also, as the can gets used, filter it through an old nylon or similar. Lovely smell too.

These guys have a whole suite of that type of varnish...the first one being a tad thinner which doesn't skin over in the can; Le Tonkinios Linseed Varnish

RT, I'm not sure if they sell a matte finish, the stuff I used had a deep gloss. It must have had uv inhibitors because I used it outside - or maybe it just worked outside, I don't remember it having other ingredients. There is a good website. The only shiny thing on my boat is my brass clock and a stainless anchor!

I used it a few weeks ago on one of the doors coming into the sundeck area on our boat. This area had worn out varnish on the teak door and frame. I used a heat gun to remove the old varnish, sanded with 120 grit paper and then applied 4 coats of Sea Gold. I find that it went on just like Cetol but looks much better. I chose the Sea Gold because I could get multiple coats on in a day. (3 coats went on and this was on a 55-60 degree day) I still need to do a top coat of Captain's Varnish on it (I want the gloss look), but that can wait until I finish the other door and the temps will be staying warm. (molt likely in July)

I really like the clean up, like the look overall and find that where I tried it over good condition varnish, it went on very well as a top coat.

Time will tell if it holds up any better than varnish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom