Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

City: København k
Eagle 32 or GB 32 or?

Hi we are looking at various trawler type boats in europe. and would like members coment on these to types of boats. pro and cons if you like. we are looking for a boat for costal cruising in scandinavian waters. In time we will take her a long european waterways maybe even to the med. So looking for a trawler we can live on board but also a boat that can be single hand. And we are not considering a bigger boat :-) all comments are really appreciated.
Michael Katz Krefeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Scout
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
We own a GB32, and looked at an Eagle 32 when we were buying. We preferred the GB because of the interior layout. The GB has no steps into the salon and the helm is on the same level. The only steps are down to the v-berth. The Eagle has steps down into the salon, then up again to the pilot house, then down again to the v-berth. For us this design led to chopped up space. I don't know the actual sizes of the interiors of the two boats, but the layout of the GB makes it seem much larger, a useful quality if you are going to spend much time on a boat.

I cannot comment on the relative handling of the two boats, but we are pleased with the way the GB handles.
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I am very very fond of both of these boats and the greatest dividing factor for sure is .... in a word SPEED. The Eagle is basically a full displacement boat being very efficient at about 7 knots and may not even be able to achieve 10. The Nordic is a semi-planing boat capable of speeds well over 10 knots and cruises well at 8 or 9. The Nordic is about half way between the planing hull and the FD hull.

Both boats are over powered w 210hp for the Nordic and 135hp for most Eagle's. They made some Eagle 32s w the 4 cyl version of the 120hp Ford Lehman .. 90hp. Never run one but if it's acceptably smooth that would be your best bet if you are looking for a 7 knot boat and good fuel economy. The 6 cyl Lehman Eagles are the most common and most overpowered of the two boats. The Nordic has much more power but has a hull that can use 75% of that power so isn't overpowered unless you want a 7 knot boat and buy one w 210hp.

Both boats are good handling sea boats w a slight nod to the Eagle as better. As much as I like the Nordic's they have a utilitarian aura about them inside the cabins. The Nordic has the fuel tank aft and I think the Eagle does too. Very good if a tank replacement is needed. Engine access is better on the Nordic. Eagle is better looking inside and out. Eagle should have a much smoother ride bucking head seas. Eagles have a kinda sorta fly bridge. There are many many more Nordy's in the states than Eagles. Both can be had for as little as $100K.

One thing to look out for is that some Nordics came w a Yanmar engine. Not even the Yanmar people are familiar w this very nice and good engine (so I've been told) engine but there are basically no parts. That could be different in Europe ??? I would love to buy either one and my dreamboat would have a bad engine and a $75K price to go along w it so I could buy the boat and repower w about 55hp.

A great part of the above is pure opinion.

If you like the Nordy and the Eagle the GB 32 should also be on your list and is more comparable to the Nordic than the Eagle. The Eagle's full disp hull make it a very unique boat among trawlers.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Scout,
A very very good point and it applies to our Nomad Willard. Visibility and spaciousness is golden on small trawlers. We love our greenhouse style cabin that lets in loads of light and has a good sized window in all directions. I also minimize the bow clutter for maximum visibility fwd.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71274 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
.. They made some Eagle 32s w the 4 cyl version of the 120hp Ford Lehman .. 90hp.
The four cylinder version of the Ford Dorset/FL120 is 80 hp. The four cylinder version of the Ford Dover/FL135 is 90 hp.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
We own a GB32, and looked at an Eagle 32 when we were buying. We preferred the GB because of the interior layout. The GB has no steps into the salon and the helm is on the same level. The only steps are down to the v-berth. The Eagle has steps down into the salon, then up again to the pilot house, then down again to the v-berth. For us this design led to chopped up space. I don't know the actual sizes of the interiors of the two boats, but the layout of the GB makes it seem much larger, a useful quality if you are going to spend much time on a boat.

I cannot comment on the relative handling of the two boats, but we are pleased with the way the GB handles.
I have to agree with you on the above. I have not handled either of the two, but I think it would depend on the use. For living aboard I would probably chose the Grand Banks. For cruising distances with some of it off shore, I would probably go with the Eagle. It has a lower center of gravity, and the pilot house is great. It gets down to every boat is a compromise. It depends on wants and needs. Either would be a great choice in my book.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote