Breaking New - Bahamas Shark Kills US Woman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lions and tigers...oh my! As noted, leave them be and you will be fine. I have spent 3 to 4 days a week in salt water since the age of 12. Not an exaggeration; that much time every week. Surfing, long distance ocean swimming, free diving, spear fishing, and long distance ocean paddling. I have slowed down a lot in regards to distances, but I am still in the water the same amount of days per week. No issues with the guys with teeth. I have been rear ended twice by inattentive drivers on cell phones, one of which left me with persistent neck pain for the last 15 years. Life has inherent risks, sharks are not at the top of the list for humans to worry about. Tapping out, the weekend is here and it’s time to get wet.

My experience of the Bahamas is that in several (many) of the marinas it is the norm to feed (really f'g big) bull sharks with fish guts. They are treated like pets! Chumming the waters just attracts more shark to human inhabited areas. I guess this is just a result of too many sharks attracted to areas where humans play.

I’ve seen bull sharks at the fish cleaning station in Highborne Cay plenty of times. Also in Bimini harbor and once in a pass near Highborne. I still haven’t seen a tiger shark, yet. (And, a million harmless nurse sharks.) At least the water is clear so you can see them. Most places, you never know they are near.

But, I’m betting this attack is going to be related to feeding sharks when it all shakes out.

But, I’m betting this attack is going to be related to feeding sharks when it all shakes out.

Whether it is or isn't, my bet would be that the Bahamian authorities would not publish that fact if it were true!

Nurse sharks wouldn't be able remove an arm, or bite the buttocks in the manner described. The size and shape of the mouth wouldn't allow it.

My experience of the Bahamas is that in several (many) of the marinas it is the norm to feed (really f'g big) bull sharks with fish guts. They are treated like pets! Chumming the waters just attracts more shark to human inhabited areas. I guess this is just a result of too many sharks attracted to areas where humans play.

I know Rose Island well - we spent a lot of time there when we first reached the Bahamas because it was so close to Nassau. (Lots of friends flew into Nassau to spend time with us.) Although there are a LOT of snorkeling boats that go there every day (and a few scuba boats), we've never even hear rumor of any of them doing shark feeding there, or anywhere nearby.

But you're right, that in a lot of places in the Bahamas, one of the attractions is feeding the sharks (all kinds - bull, nurse, reef, etc.) from the fish cleaning stations. In the waters around Walker's Cay, where we used to snorkel a lot, if you speared a fish, you brought it to the surface and immediately lifted it out of the water, to prevent the thrashing sound and electrical impulses.

Nothing about this Rose Island attack seems like one of the more common scenarios, which is scuba divers feeding sharks and working them into a frenzy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom