Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Breaking New - Bahamas Shark Kills US Woman

https://abc30.com/american-woman-kil...ytVF8gY0GERJ4M
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Boston Area
That's a shame. I wonder if she was snorkeling on her own or with an organized tour group. That's a very popular snorkeling location that many of the local tour operators use.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
Wow. Where is Rose Island? What part of the Bahamas?
Old 06-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Wow. Where is Rose Island? What part of the Bahamas?
Just east of New Providence (Nassau).
Old 06-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I think it is interesting that shark attacks get such a big reaction. We are in their domain, so the number of attacks on humans is VERY low considering how many people are in the ocean every day. How many people were killed or seriously injured in car accidents in the last 24 hours?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
I think it is interesting that shark attacks get such a big reaction. We are in their domain, so the number of attacks on humans is VERY low considering how many people are in the ocean every day. How many people were killed or seriously injured in car accidents in the last 24 hours?
The percentage number of people who are in and around cars versus those killed is also very low, could even be lower than than shark kills.

This is pertinent to boaters who tend to swim in the Bahamas.

If you want to know how many people swimming off boats in the Bahamas that were killed by a car, I can give you that number to a high degree of certainly - 0.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #7
Imp

City: Sneads Ferry NC
We've had several youngsters attacked already this year in NC, all in shallow water. Yes, the score is higher than average.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #8
Guru

The attacks in shallow water are usually due to low visibility because of the surf and are usually attributed to mistaken identity by the shark. After an initial exploratory bite, they realize their mistake and leave. Since the victim here was snorkeling that implies good visibility. To me, that would suggest a Tiger or a Bull shark, although neither is common in that area. I use to run a snorkeling progam there and have spent thousands of hours in those waters , and only saw a Bull Shark once. I worked there for about 3 years years and we'd take over 500 people per week snorkeling, and never had an issue with sharks. The odds of any shark attack, let alone a fatal shark attack, are infinitesimally low.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #9
Guru

My experience of the Bahamas is that in several (many) of the marinas it is the norm to feed (really f'g big) bull sharks with fish guts. They are treated like pets! Chumming the waters just attracts more shark to human inhabited areas. I guess this is just a result of too many sharks attracted to areas where humans play.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
My experience of the Bahamas is that in several (many) of the marinas it is the norm to feed (really f'g big) bull sharks with fish guts. They are treated like pets! Chumming the waters just attracts more shark to human inhabited areas. I guess this is just a result of too many sharks attracted to areas where humans play.
You sure you don't mean nurse sharks?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
Guru

Updated story with more details:

Source:
https://abc7.com/american-woman-kill...olice/5366584/

By JULIA JACOBO
Updated 10 minutes ago
An American woman has died after she was attacked by sharks while snorkeling with her family in the Bahamas, authorities said.

Jordan Lindsay, 21, of Torrance, California, was swimming in waters near Rose Island when she was bitten by multiple sharks, local police said in a statement.

Investigators believe there were three sharks involved in the attack. Lindsay's parents said they saw the sharks approaching and yelled to warn her, but she didn't respond in time, according to police.

Her right arm was torn off and she suffered bites to her left arm, both legs and buttocks. She was then taken to shore and transported to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead, according to police.

"We can confirm a U.S. citizen in the Bahamas succumbed to her injuries following a shark attack on June 26," a State Department spokesperson told ABC News in a statement.

The investigation is ongoing. Department of Fisheries is scheduled to assess the area to determine if the water is safe.

ABC News' Ben Gittleson and Darren Reynolds contributed to this report.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #12
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Or guns?

Certainly way more than by sharks.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:20 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
You sure you don't mean nurse sharks?
We have "grey nurse" sharks here, they are regarded as non threatening, and a protected species. Bull sharks, on the other hand, have an awful reputation, along with tigers and great whites.
Australia had an upsurge in attacks this year too, but I think sharks are way behind the rate of human kills on sharks. A lot of shark gets eaten by humans when sold as fish in take away fast food shops.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:45 AM   #14
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:

I think it's the primal fear instilled in us about being eaten by something one bite at a time..

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:28 AM   #15
Guru

No, definitely BULL sharks!!
Old 06-27-2019, 05:29 AM   #16
Guru

They are really mean buggars!!
Old 06-27-2019, 05:41 AM   #17
Guru

Apparently, she was "mauled to death" by 3 tiger sharks. They are also very mean buggars! I have actually snorkeled in the very area in the past - but never again!
Old 06-27-2019, 07:36 AM   #18
Imp

City: Sneads Ferry NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
The attacks in shallow water are usually due to low visibility because of the surf and are usually attributed to mistaken identity by the shark. After an initial exploratory bite, they realize their mistake and leave. Since the victim here was snorkeling that implies good visibility.

I have not heard that any of the sharks in involved in the NC attacks on young people have been identified. However, the 17 year-old New Bern girl who lost her leg above the knee & 2 fingers only survived because her dad was right beside her & repeatedly punched the shark, so was finally able to get her to shore. He is an EMT, so assume he was able to administer care immediately.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #19
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
The percentage number of people who are in and around cars versus those killed is also very low, could even be lower than than shark kills.

This is pertinent to boaters who tend to swim in the Bahamas.

If you want to know how many people swimming off boats in the Bahamas that were killed by a car, I can give you that number to a high degree of certainly - 0.
It’s a tidbit of information, but not that “pertinent”. The chances of being attacked by sharks anywhere is low. This event does not increase the chances of It occurring again in the Bahamas. There may be another one tomorrow, or none for the next 100 years. I will continue to take my chances with the sharks who I feel safer with than the texting, inattentive drivers on the road.

Nurse sharks are puppy dogs btw.

SSOBOL, copy that.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #20
Guru

I've been paying very close attention to this....and there's a lot of confusion. Some stories are saying Tiger Sharks....some say the sharks haven't been identified. Some stories say the victim was diving....some say she was swimming with pigs ( I don't think there are pigs on Rose Island ). Some stories say the family yelled to her, but the mom said it happened so fast no one yelled.....and they didn't see 3 sharks......Very odd.