Brazos River Floodgates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ulysses

Guru
Vessel Name
Ulysses
Vessel Make
Romsdal 1963
Do any of the TX member know whether the Brazos River Floodgates are operating or are the submerged ? I wonder if the River is up enough to run around them.

Do any of the TX member know whether the Brazos River Floodgates are operating or are the submerged ? I wonder if the River is up enough to run around them.

I went across the Brazos on the 21st of May. The locks were working but I didn't know about floodgates. I did hear a tow captain ask the lock master about floodgates and he said they didn't work IIRC. Where are the floodgates ??

You heading down this way? Sure would like to see your boat.

Last edited:
I kind of miss the area but it will be awhile before I get down there.

Just FYI.....I don't know if they actually answer these numbers as I have never tried but here they are. You can call and ask your question to the guys running them.
<<The lockmasters monitor VHF-FM channel 13 continuously and may be reached by telephone (East Gate, 979-233-1251; West Gate, 979-233-5161). >>

I went across the Brazos on the 21st of May. The locks were working but I didn't know about floodgates. I did hear a tow captain ask the lock master about floodgates and he said they didn't work IIRC. Where are the floodgates ??

You heading down this way? Sure would like to see your boat.

Cardude, there are no locks at the Brazos....only floodgates. They are basically a one sided lock. But there is no lock "chamber". I guess it keeps the Brazos from flooding the prairies around the ICW.

There was one time similar to the rains we have experienced. About 12-15 years ago. I heard the tows talking back and forth and they said the river was running at 9mph!!! I was freaking out because I was in a 7mph boat!!! I wasn't sure how I was going to get across without being swept downstream. As it turns out, that was only right in the middle. So once I got out into the river, I stayed close to the side and crept up river. And waited for all of the flotsam to go by and picked my path through it....and scurried across to get into the eddy of the other side. I had to go full throttle thru the west gate....with an SOG of maybe a knot. I sat there for about 5 minutes talking to the gate operator as he stood on the wall....while I struggled thru all of the swirly current going thru the gate.

I wonder if the River is up enough to run around them.

Not really sure what you mean by "run around them"??? They are "floodgates" so I imagine they are designed to be doing their job for these type of conditions...not inundated by floodwaters. But who knows...

Last edited:
Cardude, there are no locks at the Brazos....only floodgates. They are basically a one sided lock. But there is no lock "chamber". I guess it keeps the Brazos from flooding the prairies around the ICW.

There was one time similar to the rains we have experienced. About 12-15 years ago. I heard the tows talking back and forth and they said the river was running at 9mph!!! I was freaking out because I was in a 7mph boat!!! I wasn't sure how I was going to get across without being swept downstream. As it turns out, that was only right in the middle. So once I got out into the river, I stayed close to the side and crept up river. And waited for all of the flotsam to go by and picked my path through it....and scurried across to get into the eddy of the other side. I had to go full throttle thru the west gate....with an SOG of maybe a knot. I sat there for about 5 minutes talking to the gate operator as he stood on the wall....while I struggled thru all of the swirly current going thru the gate.

Oh I get it now-- floodgates vs locks. I couldn't really tell what they did but like you say I guess it's to keep the ICW from being flooded with fresh river water.

Yeah I was pretty paranoid crossing the Colorado and Brazos with all the flotsam floating down. Don't need to do that again at flood stage.

I think (but don't know for sure) that those flood gates are closed to keep salt water from backing way up the Brazos when drought conditions are in effect and or during hurricanes. I would imagine they are wide open with all the rain we have been having.

Kevin

I think (but don't know for sure) that those flood gates are closed to keep salt water from backing way up the Brazos when drought conditions are in effect and or during hurricanes. I would imagine they are wide open with all the rain we have been having.

Kevin

Usually the locks, like at Calcasieu and Leeman/Bowman are to keep saltwater from intruding into the adjacent prairies on the ICW. I do think the floodgates at the Brazos are exactly that....to prevent a flooding river from flooding the surrounding areas in the ICW. But like you, I am not sure...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom