Is this bow wave OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klee wyck

Guru
Vessel Name
Domino and Libra
Vessel Make
Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Is this frothy looking bow wave just from the shape of the entry or is there something else wrong here?

Attachments

• bow wave1.jpg
    bow wave1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 224
  • bow wave2.jpg
    bow wave2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 216
Looks like the shape of the entry to me.

Ted

Seems to me that Mark's boat pushes a frothy mix at times.

Mark would not classify this as a slicer.

Looks a bit bow heavy. And perhaps just plain overloaded.

Shes slab sided. So her max beam is probably all along the hull except wat fwd. so the angle of entry must be large to accomplish that way before amidships going aft. So she assumes a hull form not unlike a Great Lakes ore boat w the stern cut off. Not a slipey shape. The opposite of this scow like hull would be a sailboat. Slim pointy ends w a fat wide belly amidships. Same displacement and length but way different placement of displacement along her length. For the sailboat very little at the ends and a lot amidships. The boat above is a very poor shape for slow speeds. Good name for her would be "Ram".

Its all in the windows!:banghead: If they slanted forward the bow would appear lifting, as it is, with straight vertical windows, :thumb:the allusion is the bow is blunt, would help if the anchor were more symmetrical in design.:angel: And like WW11, where ships were painted in camouflage, with broken lines and mixed angles, the hull shape was broken up. this boat could use a bit of that.(No, not 'breaking up'):facepalm:

Al-Ketchikan:rofl::rofl::D

Sure wouldn't be okay punching into the steep, short period waves we get around here...probably way more spray over that pilothouse than ours I bet!

Last edited:
She's a San Juan Islands boat. Beautiful inside and tough as nails on the outside. We've seen her at Fishermans Bay and out cruising. Nice boat! Tug Boat bow wave?

She's a San Juan Islands boat. Beautiful inside and tough as nails on the outside. We've seen her at Fishermans Bay and out cruising. Nice boat! Tug Boat bow wave?

Bob,
That is what it reminds me of as well, especially the top picture. Tug boat bow wave. The guy that converted this crabber sure seems like he did a lot of nice work but the boat being converted combined with this bow wave, makes you wonder if it is loaded as intended. It does seem to sit on its line in the water when resting? Interesting platform for a (now) recreational cruiser at the very least and quite a bit of boat for this money?

Such a bow wave is typical of commercial tugboats.

It's a matter of bow shape. No harm if operating at not-exceeding-hull speeds.

Last edited:
Mark, is that at 6.5 knots you speak too often?:angel::flowers:

Sure its OK just not the best economical speed for those boats. commercial tugs don't care too much about fuel use, just time. Some people here want the least possible fuel use, some don't care as much.

Al wrote;
"Right .. If you say so"
What do you mean by that?
My HS is 7 knots w a wll of 27.5'. And Mark's boat is a few feet longer so it's obviously very close .. close enough for this conversation IMO.
"No harm if operating at less than hull speed" for a FD boat it would be stupid to run close to hull speed. Sounds like you don't like what he said. Perhaps you're thinking he's talking about SD hulls. Then it makes good sense to run not only around HS but considerably above it depending on the hull shape. Like your boat. Running close to or even a bit above HS is what it was designed for. When you run your Marben at 1 knot below HS you'd be better off w a FD hull.

Does that make any sense?

Eric-laterGo Hawks!!

I don't know what an ok bow wave is but think for the type of boat in question the wave in the picture is appropriate. If you want a different wave you will have to narrow the hull -sharpen the entry- and lighten ship. See attachment for a different bow wave after hull parameters are changed.

Attachments

• IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 111
I don't know what an ok bow wave is but think for the type of boat in question the wave in the picture is appropriate. If you want a different wave you will have to narrow the hull -sharpen the entry- and lighten ship. See attachment for a different bow wave after hull parameters are changed.

I always thought your boat was familiar, no I know why.

Eric-:flowers:

Al wrote;
"Right .. If you say so"
What do you mean by that? (Hi Eric, looking at Mark's bow wave in that particular photo matched against many years of looking at bow waves and thinking I had a vision of Mark's boat bow underway from other past photos, believed that the photo depicted a boat doing a bit more than any 6 knots +-. As Mark responded that it was what he said it is I can only say 'If You Say So'
Nothing more, nothing less.)

My HS is 7 knots w a wll of 27.5'. And Mark's boat is a few feet longer so it's obviously very close .. close enough for this conversation IMO.(Iwould disagree, the difference between your boat hull and Mark's are further apart than inclusive in a single conversation. MHO)
"No harm if operating at less than hull speed" for a FD boat it would be stupid to run close to hull speed. Sounds like you don't like what he said.(See above, no, What Mark said is fine) Perhaps you're thinking he's talking about SD hulls.(No Idea here) Then it makes good sense to run not only around HS but considerably above it depending on the hull shape. Like your boat. Running close to or even a bit above HS is what it was designed for. When you run your Marben at 1 knot below HS you'd be better off w a FD hull.(If you say so hard to argue with somebody who understands my hull better than myself)

Does that make any sense? (It could, maybe, then again maybe not, sometimes, yes, sometimes no sense at all)[/QUOTE]:dance:

Full displacement hull running near hull speed. It still has its fishing license and lights, its probably running with an empty hold. Nice boat but not enough side decks for me - love raw aluminum!

Start another conversation and let this one stay on track.

Eric- 'Slo~Belle' at 6 knots. Hell of a lot different from Mark's:flowers:

img_401105_0_b2818c1e007607810051da07910fa379.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Al-Ketchikan

Sorry, wrong photo- Eric, here is a bow shot, in my opinion Mark and I have boats with different entry shear. Al-Ketchikan

img_401111_0_c0a993f6b14a35056132681d6b3f383f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Coot's bow shape:

Full displacement hull running near hull speed. It still has its fishing license and lights, its probably running with an empty hold. Nice boat but not enough side decks for me - love raw aluminum!

Xs,
This hull has chines and very little keel aft. Not sure how to classify it. I also love the raw aluminum, grew up on it and made a living on it for awhile. Freshwater.

Attachments

• Aluminum boat hull.jpg
    Aluminum boat hull.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 255
After viewing the bottom of this boat, it would appear that it is a SD boat with potential of a good rate of speed, if that were desired, with increased horsepower. Not knowing what the current engine is can only assume it to be of economics first and speed second in consideration of need.

for sure Mark and I have a completely different entry. Our boat has a finer entry with a greater flare.

All things equal, the 'bulk snout' of the alumimun boat reflects a very forward breadth carried as far possible causing a wide blunt bow. MHO

Damn! starting to sound like Eric, and as an expert, I fall far short of the 'Man" (This is intended as a complement):angel:

Al-Ketchikan

Compliment accepted somewhat gracefully.

I suspect that the Lone Wolf has been extended. Would be quite easy to do w those straight hull lines. That may also explain the bow down (slightly) trim. The engine wasn't moved aft to maintain the original trim.

Now I'm wondering if they are the same boat. Looks like they've got 30,000lbs of fish on board in the first photo and running light in the next pic. The names are different in the last boat but that wasn't a red flag to me as names change. No I think it's the same boat. The fishing (ADFG) number is the same.

Al I just noticed your Marben is 27'. I thought it was 29 like the Prairie.

Last edited:
Eric,
Same boat, notice the name changes but the numbers don't. Not stretched, built as 42 in Astoria Oregon and still 42. A six foot swim platform has been added and I doubt the hot tub was stock, but both are aft so not helpful in explaining the bow wave.
Al,