Bow Thruster for CHB (Clipper 34)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imacss

Vessel Name
Happy Hour - Not named by me though
Vessel Make
1985 Clipper 34 - Aft Cabin
Hi All. (Re-posting to correct group - Oops!)

Had my Clipper for almost 12 months now and am convinced I will benefit greatly if she was fitted with a Bow Thruster (BT). I have followed a few discussions on both Bow and Stern Thrusters and I believe that the BT is the way to go for me. I normally have quite a bit of trouble getting her into her marina berth.

My question(s) at this stage are reasonably simple (although the answer(s) may not be of course) viz:

1. Is it possible to fit a BT to a Clipper 34?
  2. Where does it fit (exactly I mean)?
  3. Is there a preferred "type/size" of BT for the Clipper ?
  4. Is there something else that I should be asking etc? :ermm:
Please help.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Ian, Your stress levels will certainly drop after installing a thruster. Should have no trouble fitting one in your boat. Fit it as far forward and as low as possible, Try and go one size higher than recommended for your boat weight. Suggest get a pro to fit it, not too expensive here in Oz. I have costings for the work on my boat if it helps, on a file at the boat.

Thanks Auskiwi.

Seems that I am on the right track. I am hoping do to some research on the brand and size etc so that I can understand what might be suggested.
I got some brochures from Vetus at the Sydney boat show recently and have had preliminary discussions only with other cruisers.

Not sure where it might be placed but found a buoyancy tank (filled with foam) well forward but not sure if it will fit there. I am keen not to lose any more space than I have to of course.
I have a wide variation of costings in my head at this early stage so any help in that department will be appreciated.

My son is a Lecco so that will help with installation and I have a "Fitting & Turning" background with some fibreglassing experience which may also be useful.

I understand the benefit of professional help so am prepared for the $$ side etc.
Thanks for the interest so far.

Ianmac

I installed a Side Power stern thruster 2 years ago. I don’t have room for a tunnel in the bow. I will at some point install a bow thruster but it will be an Exturn pod thruster. It is pretty simple to install, one large hole and a couple of small holes and it hangs under the keel.

I toyed with fitting one, got a quote, but didn`t proceed. The issue is getting the big hole on the right place the first time, "practice holes" are only ok in small sizes.
For the hardware, take a look on ebay.au,there are Vetus and maybe other kits for sale which seem reasonably priced, though your boat show pricing may be better.

If I had room for a tunnel I wouldn’t hesitate to install one myself. Measure several times and cut once. Find where you want the tunnel located on the inside. Tape a rare earth magnet on the inside and go outside and stick another rare earth magnet on the hull and it will find the one on the inside. Mark the spot and drill.

I installed a Side Power stern thruster 2 years ago. I don’t have room for a tunnel in the bow. I will at some point install a bow thruster but it will be an Exturn pod thruster. It is pretty simple to install, one large hole and a couple of small holes and it hangs under the keel.

We have the Exturn bow thruster (400D)- easy install and flawless operation.

I also am considering adding a thruster. from the pricing I have seen it appears that a stern thruster costs less than a bow thruster, I am talking the installed price. my question is since I can only afford one, bow or stern, which one will be the most help in docking into a tight slip. anyone with experience out there to share ?

Well, either one will help but a bow thruster will probably help more. Having said that if you have some DIY skills a stern thruster is simple to install so you could save a bunch of money. Basically you drill a large hole in the transom and bolt it on then wire it up. That is the short cut there is more to it but it is easy. I don’t have room for a tunnel in the bow so I will eventually install an external bow thruster pod. Those are also very easy to install, see post above about them.

I am a coward so I had my refit guy install my Exturn but I haven't used it yet as my boat is still on the hard in the finishing stages of a new I/O Mercury engine and leg install, down to the exhaust and wiring phase.

As to the other person's question about stern or bow thruster, you already have an engine in the stern, granted it isn't as effective as a stern thruster but you do have power and some reasonable control there. So given the aforementioned, a bow thruster would be a more effective tool.

I am quoting company propaganda but supposedly there is less cavitation with the external thruster than a tunnel one, this kind of makes sense to me:

Our current boat has a tunnel type bow thruster which I prefer over stern thrusters we have had in the past. Like has been previously mentioned I can push the stern over using the rudder. Being able to push the bow around with the bow thruster makes docking much easier.

Our boat is similar to yours. the tunnel is located under the V berth just aft of where the two berths come together comes together. Forward of the tunnel is the 30 gallon holding tank. I would be nervous of a external pod type bow thruster for fear of hitting something with it and knocking it loose or tearing a hole in the boat.

Our current boat has a tunnel type bow thruster which I prefer over stern thrusters we have had in the past. Like has been previously mentioned I can push the stern over using the rudder. Being able to push the bow around with the bow thruster makes docking much easier.

Our boat is similar to yours. the tunnel is located under the V berth just aft of where the two berths come together comes together. Forward of the tunnel is the 30 gallon holding tank. I would be nervous of a external pod type bow thruster for fear of hitting something with it and knocking it loose or tearing a hole in the boat.

The external thruster is well below the surface, so l don’t worry about impacting logs or other underwater objects.

If I do hit something, it’d take a huge impact to jar the unit loose- it’s very beefy in construction. Worst case- the mounting holes are only 2” in diameter, and I have DC plugs at the ready in that size.

I had a debate about the external pod hitting a log, then I thought would I prefer it to hit the pot or my inboard outboard leg.

I am convinced a tunnel bow thruster is the way to go. I am having my boatyard install it. the external thrusters just seem like a nightmare waiting to happen. I do not need to add a foot to my minimum depth nor fear running it into something and rendering it useless while possibly ripping a hole in the bow. (where is the nearest haulout ? )

You will love your decision once the pain of writing the check does away. With a single screw being able to push the bow around with a touch of a switch makes all the difference in docking or even tieing up to a mooring buoy when the wind or current is fighting you.

Here is a picture of our bow thruster tunnel to give you an idea of location.

18967-albums855-picture5505.jpg

And here is what the motor looks like (Lewmar 185TT)

18967-albums855-picture5506.png

I am in this dilemma. I have a 34' chb, and I am installing a bow thruster. I currently have 4 GC deep cycles for a house bank and would really like to have 6 GC, as well as use it as the juice for my bow thruster. I spend a lot of time on anchor in remote places and after I leave the dock, the thruster wont be getting used. I just replaced the 4 GC this spring so I think it wouldnt be two late to add two more.

I was thinking about installing the 4kw lewmar, which one do you have for your chb and would you get the same one again?
Thanks.

The GC batteries are a deep cycle and not a starting battery. Thrusters are not a deep cycle draw but rather a starting type of draw. The GC will work but you may damage them and not get as long a life out of them. Personally I would add a dedicated starting battery close to the thruster and use big cables to hook it up. I also use a dedicated charger for the thruster battery.

Consider these. I have them ordered and will be installing this fall. The biggest advantage I like of these that they are self powered and require no additional batteries or running of wires.

So far good customer support.

https://www.dockstarthrusters.com/

Chris

That's certainly a simple way to go. I notice the glass smooth water in the video. For a smaller boat in relatively calm conditions they may work fine.

Hi Jointcustody.
I had my BT installed in December 2019 (after my initial post) and I have a
Vetus bow thruster, 55Kgf, 12V, in a 150mm tunnel under the chain locker. It draws about 300 amps I believe from memory but I have never had it operating for more than about 15 seconds. I have four (4) 150 AH batteries at the rear of the engine room with some huge cables running to the thruster in the Bow. It is truly amazing in performance and makes docking (and anchoring) so much easier. The unit itself cost me about $2,800 and was fitted by a professional for about $1,500. My Lecco son fitted the cables which cost another $300 approx.
Good luck with your project and I am happy to try to help with further info if required etc .
Ian

JointCustody,
Further to our discussion: (Can't seem to reply privately)

I am happy with my Vetus 55KgF Thruster as it certainly seems powerful enough. Looking at the specs in the Vetus manual I have actually gone above what I could have installed.

I also have clears on my flybridge but not as much windage as yours I guess.

My house battery bank is 600 AH Lead acid but they are not Deep Cycle of course as the Thruster draws 350 Amps when operating.

I initially made a mistake when I connected the batteries in parrallel as I then drew power from only one end of the bank which I found is incorrect.

All of my cables to the Thruster as well as battery parallel cabling are 70 mm sqr.
Hope this helps mate and good luck.
Ianmac

Chris,
I am in Australia and looking at the various options for a bow thruster. Have you received and installed yourDOCKSTART thruster yet, and what information, comments can you give, good or bad

Good morning, I own a CHB 34’ and have a bow thruster installed. I can post pictures if you would like. It helps docking unbelievably! Ask me any questions, I will try to answer! If easier, I can give my number and you can text me for information.

Me again !!
Regarding bow thrusters:
I have enquired to Dockstar re their products and am waiting for any response, but in the meantime, have any on this forum actual experience with Dockstar vs any other brand of thruster ?
How does yours compare, what cost difference, how easy was it to install?
Also, as I have a CHB 34. (Clipper34), have anyone found that either a bow or stern thruster works best, or should we consider install of both thrusters ?.
Any thoughts, suggestions will be appreciated.

Geraldine,

I may be the most qualified here to answer this question lol. I own a chb 34 and I have had a dockstar stern thruster, and now own a sideshift ss350 bow thruster.

The dockstar was too weak for our boats. There is just too much windage and weight. It would work well enough in calm marinas and on 75% of days, just not when you really needed the power. Also I found it would get progressively weaker when you needed it for a longer duration. I also got sick and tired of charging it all the time, without a proper way to keep it dry. you were always worried about leaving it installed at the dock too in case someone decided to walk away with it. Honestly it was just way too much hassle for the money saved- and didnt seem like it was built to last either.

I found a completely renewed sideshift ss350 for 1/2 the price of new with a years warranty. I couldnt pass it up. I installed a complete battery setup under the v berth cushions and it has a ton of power... its perfect actually, but it does account for probably 1/3 of a knot of drag. I do wonder if its a bit of a "log magnet" but so far have had zero issues. If I had the option and both at the same price though, I would have gone with the st350.

https://shop.sideshift.com/collecti...B*MTcxMDEyNzU3NS4xLjEuMTcxMDEyNzYxNC4yMS4wLjA.

The st350 mounts on the stern, should cause no drag because its behind the hull of your boat, and you could put those batteries in the lazarette. With the propellers pulling east- west so to speak theres no real draw back. The company also is great to deal with and stands behind their product.

Hope that helps- Ty.

I have SideShift thrusters and agree with the above. And simple to install.

Back
Top Bottom