Old 06-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
with 24V more power is possible, smaller cables are required, and you will have smaller resistive power losses. High power devices like a thruster is where 24V can really make a difference. The down side is that you will need some sort of dedicated charger
The 24-volt bow thruster on the Coot has plenty of power. Fortunately, the boat's electrical system is based on 24 volts. Also, it helps not having excessive superstructure catching high winds.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #22
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
What did that bow thruster cost excluding the batteries, charging system just the bow thruster?
Thanks,
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rduval View Post
Wow, a quick online check seems to show that hydraulics are WAY more expensive than the electric DC systems. On the order of 3 to 4 times more expensive!
Never said they were cheap. :-)
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:13 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
with 24V more power is possible, smaller cables are required, and you will have smaller resistive power losses. High power devices like a thruster is where 24V can really make a difference. The down side is that you will need some sort of dedicated charger
+1
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #25
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
What did that bow thruster cost excluding the batteries, charging system just the bow thruster?
Thanks,
Bill
$5,500 installed when boat was built. It has no dedicated battery. Works off the house batteries.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
$5,500 installed when boat was built. It has no dedicated battery. Works off the house batteries.
Thank you,
Bill
Old 06-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: WYC, Port Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: Bonaventure
Vessel Model: Cheer Men PT41 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Do you feel you compromise your battery life overall from use of the bow thruster?

Do you spend a lot of time on the hook? I'm wondering how long it takes you to recharge the batteries after using the thruster and do you do it from the Genny or shore power most of the time?
Rduval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #28
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I have seen solenoid setups that allow a batterry placed in the bow to be charged with the normal 12V system.

A solenoid setup connects the battery in series to the 12V system when you turn on a 24V thruster or windlass..

It allows for a more powerful windlass/thruster with smaller sized cables running forward and without a 24V charger.

Can't find a link to one right now...will look some more.

(here's one suggested way to do it....but not my favorite 24 Volts from 12)

Here's Vetus's solution but way too pricey...have seen homemade versions with a couple solenoids and switches..more complicated than Yandina's but still worthy of consideration. http://www.vetus-shop.com/vetus-seri...ing-p-941.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24VoltBattery.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	30599  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #29

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
After a few debacles at the dock with my thruster quitting on me, I have decided the wiring must change. Sunday, I came in to 10 to 15 knot gusts, bow thruster ready but did all the maneuvering without it and didn't even reach for it! Short quick bursts of throttle, rudder hard to port, kicking the stern over, more bursts in reverse stopping forward momentum and I backed right in like a pro. I need a resource that shows a good wiring diagram and battery set up for my thruster and windlass. The setup I currently have just isn't working for me. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm a little tired of hauling up the anchor over the top of the shiny new windlass. I just don't want to wire it twice, I want to do it right the first time. Sorry for the thread hijack...
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #30
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowandsteady View Post

After a few debacles at the dock with my thruster quitting on me, I have decided the wiring must change. Sunday, I came in to 10 to 15 knot gusts, bow thruster ready but did all the maneuvering without it and didn't even reach for it! Short quick bursts of throttle, rudder hard to port, kicking the stern over, more bursts in reverse stopping forward momentum and I backed right in like a pro.

That sounds promising, in any case. Is your slip to starboard as you enter your fairway?

Our home slip was to port, and I could take maximum advantage of prop walk. Almost never had to use the rudder, there...

-Chris
Old 06-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #31

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
Ranger42c, my slip is to starboard. I found if i make the turn early to port and keep kicking my stern over a few times, I'm lined up with the slip and I have no need for the thruster. Of course next weekend conditions will be different and I'll have to take a different approach. My bow thruster, BTW, is a Side Power, not sure of the size, but I'll check the documentation next time I'm on the boat. I don't know enough about it yet, but it seems underpowered to me.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #32
Master and Commander

Quote:
Do you feel you compromise your battery life overall from use of the bow thruster?

Do you spend a lot of time on the hook? I'm wondering how long it takes you to recharge the batteries after using the thruster and do you do it from the Genny or shore power most of the time?
I rarely use the thruster more than a total of 10 seconds during any "thruster" occasion. I doubt its use compromises the batteries' lives. I don't often anchor but then have never seen the need to use the thruster on those occasions.

Don't have a genset. The 28-volt, 150-amp alternator runs off the boat's single engine. The boat has dual 24-volt, 200AH AGM house batteries. The refrigerator is the primary user of electricity. At berth, the boat is connected to a 110-volt, 30 amp outlet.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #33
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Definitely go with 24V if you can. Here are two shots of the install I had done on my boat. The thruster uses a 10" tube and is mounted about as far forward as they could get it.

This shot shows the install from inside. They did a good job of glassing in the tube and mounted that white crossmember to support the weight of the thruster motor. The batteries were installed beneath that crossmember and are charged by the charger that keeps the inverter batteries topped off.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #34

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Quote:
I have a 41ft Cheer Men with Twin FL120's. I know many will say if you have twins why do you need a thruster but with a keel starting amidships and a hole Sh#t load of windage forward they are not much help when you've got to dock in a tight slip with a 20 knot wind on the beam, it just blows the bow off.

Anyway, the captain has decreed (and I concur #1) that I buy a bow thruster but I want to get opinions on size, makes, etc.

Never had one before, but the admiral feels more comfortable with one so I put one in. We are 42 LOA. It's a Sidepower SE 100 24v with a dedicated AGM battery and its own charger. Maybe a bit of overkill but I wanted to be able to overcome both strong wind and current when necessary. Cost will vary with where you are and who puts it in. The hard parts were something like $8,000. Does kind of take the sport out of a windy landing though.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: WYC, Port Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: Bonaventure
Vessel Model: Cheer Men PT41 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poach View Post
Never had one before, but the admiral feels more comfortable with one so I put one in. We are 42 LOA. It's a Sidepower SE 100 24v with a dedicated AGM battery and its own charger. Maybe a bit of overkill but I wanted to be able to overcome both strong wind and current when necessary. Cost will vary with where you are and who puts it in. The hard parts were something like $8,000. Does kind of take the sport out of a windy landing though.
The Admiral gets really nervous in heavy cross winds (which seem to be increasing the last few years) so I'm happy to "take the sport out of it" lol
Rduval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
The Admiral gets really nervous in heavy cross winds (which seem to be increasing the last few years) so I'm happy to "take the sport out of it" lol
Mine does as well but I doubt I'll be installing one on my Gulfstar. I had an over sized 12VDC VETUS on my Mainship 40SB it was great.
Bill
Old 06-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #37
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowandsteady View Post
Ranger42c, my slip is to starboard. I found if i make the turn early to port and keep kicking my stern over a few times, I'm lined up with the slip and I have no need for the thruster. Of course next weekend conditions will be different and I'll have to take a different approach.

Yep, I thought I had it correctly interpreted. Hint, if it helps: if you turn the boat to port even a bit past being lined up your slip (almost as if you were turning all the way to leave the fairway), then propwalk to port as you give it little shots of reverse will gradually kick the stern into the slip for you.

Once your slightly past that "lined up with the slip" orientation, you'd probably have to straighten the rudder, or even put it to starboard, so your alternating little shots of forward work correctly.

He said, optimistically. And maybe that's what you meant anyway.

-Chris
Old 06-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Easton, MD
Vessel Name: Happy Thought
Vessel Model: Mariner Seville 37/Helmsman 38
I have a Vetus on a 38 foot boat. I recommend going larger than minimum recommended or will not be enough for the 20 knots of wind. Also dedicated batteries. The problems with using house batteries are:
1. Location requires long wore rub equals less current to thruster net net.
2. When those batteries get older/weaker your electronics like radar/GPS will shut down while using thruster.due to low voltage. This is not good for electronics. I have a separate battery for thruster and if I need short term extra oomph I hit the battery parallel switch which dumps 4 batteries into the thruster. Caution: do not do this for long, fuse or switch may burn up.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Happy Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Easton, MD
Vessel Name: Happy Thought
Vessel Model: Mariner Seville 37/Helmsman 38
Sorry meant "wire run". Damn spellcheck.

Happy Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Thought View Post
I have a Vetus on a 38 foot boat. I recommend going larger than minimum recommended or will not be enough for the 20 knots of wind. Also dedicated batteries. The problems with using house batteries are:
1. Location requires long wore rub equals less current to thruster net net.
2. When those batteries get older/weaker your electronics like radar/GPS will shut down while using thruster.due to low voltage. This is not good for electronics. I have a separate battery for thruster and if I need short term extra oomph I hit the battery parallel switch which dumps 4 batteries into the thruster. Caution: do not do this for long, fuse or switch may burn up.

I totally agree with not running sensitive electronics off the thruster battery bank. Even though my thruster battery bank is 2 feet away from my current config of (2) Lifeline 31 series AGM's I still ran all #4/0 wiring. Originally I had 3 thruster batteries and I found I didn't need (3) Lifelines so I removed the battery and put it on another center console I own. I also have a dedicated 40 amp smart charger that only charges the thruster bank. I run the windlass, a wash down pump and the thruster off that battery bank. I can parallel it with either starting bank through a pair of BlueSea 500 amp ACR's. At one time I also ran my Spectra Water maker off the thruster bank but I got concerned about voltage sags and spikes getting into my MPC5000 digital controller for the Spectra.
Bill