Old 05-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #41
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
As for the gates, one of the things I loved about our old Hatteras was the doors on both sides of the helm, leading to gates on the full rails. We used an easy-on light weight Marquip ladder to access even a floating dock, which took about 30 seconds to deploy. However, Jack Hargrave in a typical attention to detail, designed in a portlight about halfway down each side of the hull immediately under the gate, which I (not Ann on a floating dock) could use as a step to get on and off the boat if need be.
These features among several others made it easy for clumsy, inept me to single hand that big tub of a boat.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #42
Guru

OK
We went to the stock boat that the east coast dealer has today and came to the conclusion that the small side decks and great handholds make rail-less the way to go for us!
It is really easy to get up the side while hanging on to the handholds on this design and there is no question that the rails would make that more difficult...

We have a decision folks!
Bruce

Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #43

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Let me backup your decision, as I heartily agree it is a good one. We did 6,850 mi around the Great Loop on our AT 34 and never found any reason to have wanted any side rails (between the pilot house doors and the cockpit). It is convenient and easy to get to either side of the bow/anchor and mid-ship cleats from the pilot house, and easy to get to the cockpit from the stern cleats. We went through 147 locks, docked or anchored out countless times and I traversed the side deck holding on to the sun deck rail without any issues.
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #44
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Glad to hear that your decision was an easy one.

Hawg "With side rails you can add a run of nice taut (black?) canvas to an appropriate height between the stanchions
to restrain pets."
I always thought those canvases were so the first mate could sun bathe in privacy. Can't relate to the pets comment though, After the first time in the water they learn to stay on board.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:49 PM   #45
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
What dhays (#10) said X2! Removed about 10' so side rail due to:1) passage so narrow that stanchions were literal tripping hazards; 2) rail/stanchion continually flexed as people passed - leaks. Fortunate in that I have shoulder high grab rail for that interval and sufficient deck width for good footing. Very boat specific, but in my case, no rail = better.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:19 PM   #46
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
No rail is no problem till you no longer on boat cause there was no rail!

For thin walkways... I agree with no rail.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 PM   #47
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Bruce, ideally you should have 360-degree railings and gates near, but not directly opposite, the pilothouse doors.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #48

City: Sausalito CA
Vessel Name: GRACE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 EU
I know your decision is made but I would have voted for rails. safe walk-around side decks is major reason we chose the boat we did.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:39 AM   #49
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Bruce, ideally you should have 360-degree railings and gates near, but not directly opposite, the pilothouse doors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
I know your decision is made but I would have voted for rails. safe walk-around side decks is major reason we chose the boat we did.
What you guys seem to be missing is that for the boat that Bruce has decided on, rails don't make sense. Of course they make sense for the Coot (any excuse to see pictures of the Coot is a good one BTW) and for the Grand Banks 46 they make sense because the GB46 was designed to have them. Which as you point out is why you picked that boat.

The AT 395 is a great boat and it isn't a Grand Banks nor is it a Coot. Different size, different design, different era.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:07 AM   #50
Guru

Believe me, if they made sense on the American Tug 395, we would have ordered them!
There is a comment on another post I made by Nick14 describing exactly why we made the decision not to include the rails. Nick owned a sister ship for 2 years that was equipped with the rails and he explains the issue. It made sense when reading his post but it really made sense standing on the boat yesterday!
Here is the thread and you can find Nicks description beginning on reply number 4.
Bruce

American Tug 395 "Test Drive" video!
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:19 AM   #51
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
Ditto!

Of course... when younger... I thought nothing of little to no rails. As long as I had hand holds.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:33 AM   #52
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Being able to walk along the side is so nice when underway, especially to keep close track of hitchhikers :

I strongly suggest getting the gates, they will come in very handy when using fixed docks. I can't imagine why someone would want them not lined up directly with the pilothouse doors, having to do a little jag to get on and off the boat seems unsafe and a PITA. Regardless, the AT's are great boats and you should have some fine times cruising her!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote