Bow plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ted

You have the most custom of any custom boat floating. Neat stuff.

How about this one?

Attachments

• IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 62
In our modern days of 3D printing I found out that it s possible to 3d print using a alloy of metal and resin, and when I say metal I mean stainless steel or titane. This may be a good option knowing that now there is some application that allow to create a 3d model from a simple cell phone camera.

Some matter for thought )

L.

Lou

Are you saying that a cellphone photo will give you the correct angles of bend and correct highth and width to fit the bow? I know it can duplicate a shape and size that you have.

Well not exactly a picture but now some software allow you to use your cell phone or tablet camera to turn around an object and generate a 3d model of an object. SO a bow is just an object so I guess it can follow the same process. It could be possible to scan a bow to get the angle shape and from this design a bow plate (not sure I am clear in my description).

L

Lou

Your clear but my simple noncomputer literate brain can't comprehend how it can do that.

In our modern days of 3D printing I found out that it s possible to 3d print using a alloy of metal and resin, and when I say metal I mean stainless steel or titane. This may be a good option knowing that now there is some application that allow to create a 3d model from a simple cell phone camera.

Some matter for thought )

L.

I had a personal encounter with this last year. Had to have a section of my jaw replaced with live bone from my leg, laid out over a metal 'plate' which is now part of me. The metal was custom formed in the lab in advance based on a CT scan of my jaw and the surgeon just dropped it in with no fussing about fit. Pretty cool technology.

Lou

Your clear but my simple noncomputer literate brain can't comprehend how it can do that.

Let say you want to 3D scan your anchor (which I am sure is the best anchor :angel:).
Basically the software is taking photo in burst mode while you are moving your phone all around your anchor then reassemble the pictures "side by side" in volume and extract the object from its surrounding in the images. What is left is a 3D model of your anchor.

L.

Hi Lou

That I do understand as you can get all around my best ever anchor but to do a bow plate you only have two dimensions. How does it determine the bend to fit the bow?

Inquiring minds.

Hi Lou

That I do understand as you can get all around my best ever anchor but to do a bow plate you only have two dimensions. How does it determine the bend to fit the bow?

Inquiring minds.

Well if you go around your bow you will have pictured your bow surface then modify the model to set a thickness and you get a 3D model of a bow plate. Same process as making a mold but a numeric mold. Not sure I correctly express my thinking :)

L.

I've been thinking about making and installing a bow protector plate, although I haven't got round to it yet.

I figured on using CAD/CAM technology to make a template - that's Cardboard Aided Design, Cardboard Aided Manufacture.

Get the shape and size right with a piece of cardboard, then cut the stainless out to the cardboard template.

Lou

New things impress my old brain but I will believe it when I see it.

Thanks.

Lou

I do understand that (a good friend has a number of these printers and they are amazing, but as even stated in the Utube video the camera must see the object from ALL sides.

We shall see.

Lou

I do understand that (a good friend has a number of these printers and they are amazing, but as even stated in the Utube video the camera must see the object from ALL sides.

We shall see.

It must see the object from all side to get a complete 3d model, for example if you want to scan let say a cup you need a full 360 access to the cup as the software only rely on image and cannot extrapolate how is the back of the cup. Any view part not available will be missing from the model so if you have access to only half of the cup you will get a half cup. But for a bow plate the issue does not exist as back is just an empty part, see what I mean?
So provided you have scanned the surface, and you edit the created model to give it a thickness, then you have a 3d bow plate model.
Only thing is that the scanned surface must not be too shiny and must have texture so the software can "see" it, and usually a bow is shiny and all white. But by using a temporary dotted sticker on the bow it should do the trick.
I will play with it when I have some free time as it can be a funny experience :)

L.

Lou

Great, please repeated back what you learn. As I envision it you would end up with a proper length and width but would not have the bend to confor to the bows shape.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks.

The builder welded the SS bow plate to the steel hull:

It is shiny like the axe of a viking! I would be scared to be cut in half if I had to look behind me and see you coming my way :)

L.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom