Old 10-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #21
Guru

Liked the honesty of the pics, if they represent the ex owners integrity you should have no nasty surprises. The get home engine is smart and another good indicator. I`m surprised a relatively small engine is up to the job, you should try it if you did not during pre purchase checks, but I bet it does the job.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #22

City: Seal Rock, Oregon
Vessel Name: peephole
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Great score, enjoy the cruise!

Pescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #23

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Congrats on a great looking vessel QuestionMark! I am so close to closing on my new one that I can taste it! Hope you r maiden voyage is trouble free.

Cheers, Bill
Old 10-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445974308.527266.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	45926there ya go. Nice boat.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Bought our first trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
If cooling the transmission is an issue when you use the get home engine, then it should be addressed properly.
The transmission is not under stress when the get home engine is in use. No stress = no pressure. = no heat. The oil is just splash lube to keep the back end gears lubricated since there's no pressured oil being pumped in the tranny when the GH engine is used.

Also, depending upon what brand it is, it may be totally unneeded anyway. Some gears can be left in neutral while being towed (wheel spinning). Others can't (for lack of lubrication).
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #26
KMA

City: Merritt Island
Simply stunning! I envy you. We're still on the hunt here in FL for "The One". Not a day goes by that I don't miss our days over in Catalina Harbor
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #27

City: southern California
As an unexpected bonus, I just got a call from the engine surveyor. As part of the survey, he will come back to the boat after I take posession and spend an hour going over the survey, explain his recommended fixes and how to do them (and offer quotes on those I'm not comfortable doing), show me how to do the basic maintenance, and some normal troubleshooting items like how to bleed the fuel system.

He gave me a quick explanation over the phone of how to fix the one oil leak he found, and it's something even I can manage.
questionmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #28
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
?-sounds like a pretty damned good surveyor. I'd keep his # around!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #29
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Neat get-home set-up, if it works. Looks like flopper-stoppers as well. Hope all the surprises are interesting ones, if you know what I mean. Best of luck and welcome to
Trawler cruising.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: PassChristian MS
Nice looking rig! I was always trying to figure a way to use the genset as a get home when I owned a single. My thought was to install an electric motor to drive the shaft. Never did get past the thinking about it stage. Yours looks like a great solution.
jwilsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #31

It just keeps going... I was in the store picking up the new anchor I ordered (a Rocna, heh) and the cashier asked what it was for. I told him we just bought a trawler, and he commented that he was in the market himself and thought he had found a good one, a C&L 37 down in Oxnard. He was going to go see it this weekend.

I had to chuckle at that one. I told him that I'd already bought it. Small world.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #32

City: Port Burwell
Vessel Name: Kindred Spirts
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 Trawker
Hi All: I also ,just purchased ,my first trawler , a 34 , 1989 marine trader . I`m used to gas powered stern drives . I have a profound , disorientation , when I crawl into the engine compartment , with a ford lehman. Is there any guides available , so I can get a reasonable idea of what I`m looking at , and what I need to monitor , besides a dip stick. Thanx Brian B.
Brian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings.
Welcome aboard. The only thing you have to monitor is your fun index. The rest will come naturally. Baby steps...
Further...OK, I was being somewhat facetious. the "what to watch for's" will follow...
Old 10-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: PassChristian MS
FL120 has a couple quirks the FL135 does not have
If you have the FL120 you need to change oil on the fuel lift pump ivery 50 hrs (diesel gets in the lift pump and makes oil). Also, the FL120 has a bleed valve for the coolant. It will overheat if any air is in the cooling system.
jwilsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #35

City: Port Burwell
Vessel Name: Kindred Spirts
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34 Trawker
good to know thanx. any other advise would be appreciated . I`m wondering about my transmission and bow thruster maintance . Thanx Brian B.
Brian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #36

It's official! We closed. We are officially trawler owners. I spent the first day of trawler ownership getting insurance, calling marinas, and ordering parts.

I work in Channel Islands Harbor currently, and the marina behind has openings on the nearest finger. It's where she currently is. So I should be able to see her every day I'm here. And I can just walk down after work.

Now if the weather would cooperate with my work schedule, I could take a quick trip out to the islands...
Old 10-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #37

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Congrats Questionmark!

I used to have a Catalina 30 in Channel Islands Harbor and one of my dock mates worked for the postal service. Every day she would stop by her boat and eat lunch there. Sounds like something you could do. It was a great way for her to break up her work day.

Cheers, Bill
Old 10-31-2015, 06:09 PM   #38
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
The transmission is not under stress when the get home engine is in use. No stress = no pressure. = no heat. The oil is just splash lube to keep the back end gears lubricated since there's no pressured oil being pumped in the tranny when the GH engine is used.

Also, depending upon what brand it is, it may be totally unneeded anyway. Some gears can be left in neutral while being towed (wheel spinning). Others can't (for lack of lubrication).

Exactly. And since its splash lubed there should be no need to over fill the transmission. Especially since when the transmission is not under pressure the oil in the cooler would in most cases drain back into the transmission. So the fluid would be over filled some what anyway.

My guess is the system is fine as is. No extra oil or cooling needed.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:10 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark View Post
It's official! We closed. We are officially trawler owners. I spent the first day of trawler ownership getting insurance, calling marinas, and ordering parts.

I work in Channel Islands Harbor currently, and the marina behind has openings on the nearest finger. It's where she currently is. So I should be able to see her every day I'm here. And I can just walk down after work.

Now if the weather would cooperate with my work schedule, I could take a quick trip out to the islands...

Congrats! And you have my sympathy.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark View Post
Not absolutely certain whether to offer congratulations or condolences! (Just joking -- congratulations on the boat, and may you enjoy many happy hours on the water).

And of course you have often heard, I'm sure, that buying a boat is like getting married.