Old 11-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Austin
Vessel Name: Spanish Moon
Vessel Model: Roughwater 44' Pilot House
Bought a Boat

After 3 years of searching yachtworld, and other sites I have finally pulled the trigger. As long as the survey comes out ok. I will be the proud new owner of a 44' pilot house trawler. needless to say I am excited, and anxious about the purchase. excited because it is phase one of my retirement dream. Anxious because I know very little about handling, navigating, or operating a boat of this size.
I bought it because structually and mechanically it is a very sound boat. The 185hp tubo Perkins runs like a sewing machine and has enough power to get me out of trouble if I need it. It has a skeg hung rudder, and a vetus bow thruster that should help with handling in tight spots. It has a Rymarine C-120 chart plotter. That I know nothing about, but I'm hoping that it will interface to a radar unit without having to buy another display.
I'm wondering if a 8.5 ft RIB would be a good size for a dinghy? How much rope and what type do i need for docking and tying off to Bouys etc. how many fenders, and what size and shape am I going to need to navigate the locks and, tie up in slips?
These are just some of the things That I know that I don't know. I'm sure that time will reveal a plethora of others.
Any help or suggestions would be welcome. As I want to avoid becoming a hazard to myself or to others. Also would appreciate suggestions on reading material that would help get me up to speed.
Thanks
David"Dopp"Colvin
"Soundwiz"

Old 11-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #2

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Welcome,
A Power Squadron course would be a good start.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Where is the boat there may be some forum members nearby who could give you some pointers.
Congratulations,
Steve W
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The boat is in Pensacola at the naval air station marina. It will be there till march when I plan on moving it to the Demopolis yacht basin for paint & maintenance.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu
Welcome,
A Power Squadron course would be a good start.
You are not the only person who has mentioned the power squadron. Is it a hands on course ?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #6

City: EC FL
Since your new boat is at a military marina I assume you are retired or active. In either event thank you for your service.

There are a couple of good yards in Mobile, just a suggestion. Nothing wrong with your choice further up the river.

A nice Roughwater 40 blog currently on the great loop - Sweetgrass - is a great site. I donít know how different the RW 40 and 44 are so it may or may not interest you.

Congrats on your new boat, fair winds and following seas.

Mike
DeFever 40
Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I chose the Demopolis marina primarily because they didn't have any objections to me doing a lot of the prep for the painting myself. It was my understanding that while the mobile yards were good they were also a lot more expensive, if you are from thy area and know of a good yard I would consider it. The boat needs paint & varnish from the waterline up. It had a bottom job 2011 and I am hoping that is still good. But won't know till the survey mid December.
Thanks for your reply
David Colvin
Old 11-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

David,
Congratulations on the new boat. The Power Squadron course is a good start. I would also suggest and your insurance may require you to be trained by a competent captain. The training that we paid for when we moved to a bigger boat was a good investment. It shortened the learning curve considerably. I would also suggest finding a mechanic that would be willing to train you on the basic systems of the boat. I generally like to learn things on my own, but a larger boat is a big project. Good luck, have fun and be safe.
Lyle
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Congrats on the leap from the lions head. For sure, you'll have doubts that you did the right thing from time to time, but there's no better way to learn the craft than with your own vessel. Just accept that you'll always be fixing something, and there will always be a list of to-do projects. It's the life.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #10

City: EC FL
No, I am not from the area although I have traveled thru there many times. Never investigated yard policy regarding do it yourself but I have a friend who painted his boat with tip and roll at Turner Marine, or maybe it was Dog River Marine? Sigh, canít remember. I only mentioned the Mobile area since you are from Austin, and I thought you might be unfamiliar with the area.

Several friends have been to Demopolis marina in the last few weeks, and speak highly about the new addition. Good choice.

Mike
DeFever 40
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Redlands
Congratulations!
I am a couple of months ahead of you on purchasing. Although mine is a 36 footer, you might find this thead usefull.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...help-7541.html

I asked about docking lines on the Great Loop sitE and found this answer useful. If you are staying at your dock most of the time, this may be overkill.
"Arch¬… good morning¬… We routinely carry: 4 bow lines, 4 stern lines, 4 spring lines, and 3 spares. Bow and stern are a min of 25 ft, spring lines are approx 1.5 times the length of the boat. We also carry two 125 ft lines and a tow line approx 100ft long. We can use the 125 ft lines as a spare anchor line if needed as we carry approx two 20 ft lengths of spare anchor chain and two spare anchors - one smaller anchor we use to steady the stern when anchored in a river and one storm anchor."

Have fun,

Arch
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks Arch,

Great link just what I was looking for.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
David, here is a link to the USPS courses. I am going to recommend that you go much farther than the public boating course. It is pretty basic. I recommend that you join the organization for their advanced courses. They are superb. If you will go at least through Advanced Piloting you will have everything you need for coast wise piloting anywhere.

Welcome and congrats on choosing a very capable boat.

http://www.usps.org/e_stuff/public_ed.htm
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Moonstruck thanks for tip on taking the advanced course. I can't seem to find the link.
Could you please repost it.
And thanks for the vote of confidence on my choice of boat. It was a decision I struggled with.
David Colvin
Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck
David, here is a link to the USPS courses. I am going to recommend that you go much farther than the public boating course. It is pretty basic. I recommend that you join the organization for their advanced courses. They are superb. If you will go at least through Advanced Piloting you will have everything you need for coast wise piloting anywhere.

Welcome and congrats on choosing a very capable boat.

http://www.usps.org/e_stuff/public_ed.htm
Thanks Moonstruck I got it now
Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
44 feet?

I was feeling overwhelmed having recently purchased a 30 footer. I feel much better now
Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Me too.

"Hi Mark,

Your boat will be finished at the end of this week and I will schedule the shipping with Bekins/Home Direct. Please send your final balance of..."
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #18
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwiz View Post
After 3 years of searching yachtworld, and other sites I have finally pulled the trigger. As long as the survey comes out ok. I will be the proud new owner of a 44' pilot house trawler. needless to say I am excited, and anxious about the purchase. excited because it is phase one of my retirement dream. Anxious because I know very little about handling, navigating, or operating a boat of this size.
I bought it because structually and mechanically it is a very sound boat. The 185hp tubo Perkins runs like a sewing machine and has enough power to get me out of trouble if I need it. It has a skeg hung rudder, and a vetus bow thruster that should help with handling in tight spots. It has a Rymarine C-120 chart plotter. That I know nothing about, but I'm hoping that it will interface to a radar unit without having to buy another display.
I'm wondering if a 8.5 ft RIB would be a good size for a dinghy? How much rope and what type do i need for docking and tying off to Bouys etc. how many fenders, and what size and shape am I going to need to navigate the locks and, tie up in slips?
These are just some of the things That I know that I don't know. I'm sure that time will reveal a plethora of others.
Any help or suggestions would be welcome. As I want to avoid becoming a hazard to myself or to others. Also would appreciate suggestions on reading material that would help get me up to speed.
Thanks
David"Dopp"Colvin
"Soundwiz"
Hey David,
Yes the C-120 will support the radar. As to lines and fenders the standard needs on a 44 are two long (25') and four short (15") as a minimum. Fenders, four should do plus two fender boards. We'll find out at survey just what is already onboard though. With regards to the RIB it really is going to depend on how often and how many guests you will be transporting You didn't mention to all my fine peeps here what excellent broker has assisted you in your search
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C.
Although there has been disagreement in the past I too suggest joining the Power Squadron. You will not learn everything here but what I found is it will put you in touch with many people who have lots of years experience and cut down on the learning curve. Many of the instructors have been around and with similar size vessels.

Getting an instructor for the boat handling also is a good idea.

Same for the mechanic. Ask around BEFORE you need him. Getting a mechanic to show you how to do basics and bleed the fuel system and change filters is always good. You do not want to learn how to bleed the injection system when shut down with no idea of how to. I've seen that happen. DOn't do that. You can also figure out if you need some odd tool or which buckets and supplies are required and avoid a big mess.

Have fun with the new boat and congratulations.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply,
As an entertainer coach driver I operate a 45 ft Prevost bus. Many of the systems on the coach are adapted from marine systems.
Although the series 60 diesel, and the 18kw Kubota
Genset are a bit larger than the engines on board
I have been dealing with and diagnosing problems
With Diesel engines for the past decade.
I have checked into the power squadron courses and as soon
As the survey is done and the paperwork signed
I have every intention of signing up for a course.

Thanks
David"Dopp"Colvin