Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
LWW
Veteran Member

City: Richmond Va
Sounds like he had the same fine broker I did while selling my TD Vinnett. Larry

LWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Thank you Larry. Maybe you should post the pics of the changes to Nodrog?

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
In addition to the USPS, Strongly suggest you take some on the water training from a training captain. Chapman's and SeaSense in Florida have some great programs, and you can often hire one of their trainers to come help you learn and pilot your own boat. Just because someone s an experienced captain doesn't mean they are a good teacher, far from it.

Judging from your questions you need intensive training, not just for safety (urgent) but to make cruising fun and fulfill your dreams. Welcome to the life!
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Austin
Vessel Name: Spanish Moon
Vessel Model: Roughwater 44' Pilot House
Well the papers are signed, the wire has been sent, the boat is mine.
I should thank Mark Bowerman, for researching the boats I had chosen and giving me his honest opinion and insight into each one.he was incredibly patient, putting up with my calls even when sitting at anchor off the coast of Maine. In the end he helped-in negotiations with the sellers broker to get me a good deal on a great boat.
Thanks Mark
Soundwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Congrats on the new boat!

I must say that I am genuinely pleased that the advice I've been seeing in this thread is so very correct. As a marine insurance broker, the kiss of death for a new owner is lack of experience, both ownership and operational.

In lieu of an insurer flat out refusing to write this type of owner, the remedy has been to obtain training onboard your vessel by a USCG rated master. The required hours of instruction vary, but the goal is to bring you to a basic level of operational competency on your new boat.

As said earlier, the USPS, USCG Aux, and other classroom based instruction is valuable- but pales to helm time and real world experience.

Again, congrats on your new acquisition! Now the real work begins

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Congrats and welcome aboard, from now one your life will start :-)

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
Since your new boat is at a military marina I assume you are retired or active. In either event thank you for your service.

There are a couple of good yards in Mobile, just a suggestion. Nothing wrong with your choice further up the river.

A nice Roughwater 40 blog currently on the great loop - Sweetgrass - is a great site. I donít know how different the RW 40 and 44 are so it may or may not interest you.

Congrats on your new boat, fair winds and following seas.

Mike
DeFever 40
Hey mike I looked at the blog their boat is actually a 41', my boat is based on that design the only difference being 3' more space in the cockpit and lazarrette. My 44' is the only one ever made at the factory with that mod. It should please you all to know that With the help of a course I plotted in polar Navy, on my laptop, and the real time input from the C-120 MFD I successfully navigated from the NAS Marina to pelican point marina for the haul out, & Sea Trials.
Dopp
Old 12-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #28
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Hi David!

Welcome to the forum, it's nice to see another Roughwater owner here. You have probably seen these links already, but if not here you go:

Roughwater

Roughwater Boats, Trawlers, Ed Monk, Monk Design,Boats, Cruisers, Puget Sound, Diesel Trawlers, Trawlers, Roughwater

There is also a Yahoo group you can join.

Fair winds...
Old 12-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Congrats on the new boat!

I must say that I am genuinely pleased that the advice I've been seeing in this thread is so very correct. As a marine insurance broker, the kiss of death for a new owner is lack of experience, both ownership and operational.

In lieu of an insurer flat out refusing to write this type of owner, the remedy has been to obtain training onboard your vessel by a USCG rated master. The required hours of instruction vary, but the goal is to bring you to a basic level of operational competency on your new boat.

As said earlier, the USPS, USCG Aux, and other classroom based instruction is valuable- but pales to helm time and real world experience.

Again, congrats on your new acquisition! Now the real work begins
Unfortunately many great captains are lousy instructors. Tough to find the right combo..but great when it happens.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #30

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
I keep my boat (Marine Trader 44) at Lulu's Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores, AL, not far from Pensacola. I've used Nelson's Boat Yard in Bon Secour, AL for many years. They allow you to do as much of your own work as you want and their rates area reasonable. Not a fancy boatyard, but they've been around since Christ was a Corporal, so they must be doing something right. In addition to the Power Squadron Course, I would recommend you get a recent copy of Chapman's Piloting, Small Boat Handling and Seamanship. It's a huge tome, but what isn't in there you don't need to know anyway. And if you could use some personal instruction from an old retired Merchant Mariner, I am available and nearby. Best of luck amigo!
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwiz View Post
Well the papers are signed, the wire has been sent, the boat is mine.
I should thank Mark Bowerman, for researching the boats I had chosen and giving me his honest opinion and insight into each one.he was incredibly patient, putting up with my calls even when sitting at anchor off the coast of Maine. In the end he helped-in negotiations with the sellers broker to get me a good deal on a great boat.
Thanks Mark
Soundwiz,
Thank you and your welcome. It's my pleasure. It's always a joy to see an old boat get new life and energy pumped into it. May the best part of your life begin today!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post

Soundwiz,
Thank you and your welcome. It's my pleasure. It's always a joy to see an old boat get new life and energy pumped into it. May the best part of your life begin today!
Daddyo
I'm glad I set aside 20% of the boats price for maintenance and upgrades. It's taken almost that much just to get her seaworthy. Have purchased wash down pumps, rope, 10' Achilles dinghy, flares, life ring, had fire extinguishers inspected, new Standard Horizon VHF installed and had the over head console in the pilot house repaired, fuel tanks painted, morse controls inspected and lubricated, ordered new holding tank and macerator for aft head, had the anchor windlass inspected, filled with lube oil, put a swivel on the anchor, and more.
In my spare time I've been studying the USCGA book Boating Skills and Seamanship along with Chapman's Piloting & Seamanship.
Below is a letter I got from Captain Rob after he took a check ride with me yesterday.

MARINE HORIZONS INCORPORATE
COOL BREEZE CHARTERS
ORANGE BEACH ALABAMA

January 7, 2013

To whom it may concern,

My name is Captain Robert S. Gams. I have had a Master Operators license through the United States Coast Guard for nearly twenty years. Though I am not an instructor, I feel as if I have the experience to ascertain the abilities of individuals in the operation, and maintenance of their vessels.
This letter is to acknowledge the skills and awareness possessed by Mr. David Colvin pertaining to his recent purchase of the vessel “Traveller.”
Recently, I had the opportunity to visit Mr. Colvin and accompany him on a venture into the Gulf of Mexico aboard the "Traveller.” I witnessed Mr. Colvin's diligence in inspecting the vessel before our departure. In fact, Mr. Colvin has a keen awareness of the mechanics, electrical and plumbing through hull and bilge systems on his boat. It is apparent that Mr. Colvin is persistent in his care both in the engine room, bilge and above decks. There is no doubt that the “Traveller” is in tip top shape and will remain so.
In addition, I observed his handling of the boat as Mr. Colvin operated the vessel through the shipping channel, and into the Gulf of Mexico. It is evident after observing Mr. Colvin operate the boat in choppy, confused seas with 4 to 5 foot swells, and back to port. Including a stop at the fuel dock. That Mr. Colvin is aware of the standard rules of the road, docking, as well as basic navigation. In short, Mr. Colvin seems to be a knowledgeable, courteous, safe boat operator, and should be awarded any considerations afforded for such.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks.
Capt. Robert S. Gams
robgams@aol.com
251-942-4389

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #33
Guru

Sounds like your much further ahead of the game then many. Way to go!!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #34
Veteran Member

River Charts

Mark,
I am planning on moving, the boat from Pensacola to The Demopolis Yacht Basin in early February, or as soon as river conditions settle down. I'm having a problem finding electronic charts for the Tenn-Tom river system for the Polar Navy software. As many of the Loopers use this, I feel that the charts must be available I just can't locate them. I guess I could get there with the Garmin app on my iPad, but would like to have redundancy.
Repairs and upgrades are on going. I have the aft stateroom torn apart in anticipation of the new holding tank arriving on Friday. Monday the new 4kw Raymarine open array pedestal and antenna arrive. I had to have an extension plate made to accommodate the 6ft array.
I'm still waiting on the valves, T's, and manifold to arrive for the new Racor dual 750 fuel filter and polishing system I designed to arrive. I need to finish up soon as I am running out of money and haven't even started on cosmetics.
Lovin Life
Dopp