Bought the boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctbarbarian

Veteran Member
Well I took the plunge.
I bought a 1988 3818 Bayliner motoryacht.
Its being delivered up the Mississippi to Clinton Iowa on Frid.
I'm going along for the 59 mile ride.

I have no idea how to run this boat but once its in our
marina, I can try to learn in baby steps.
I plan to leave it at the marina till Oct and then they pull it
out and winterize it for the winter.

I've signed up with the wife at the Southwest Florida cruising school
in Feb to live and learn about how to properly and safely run a
twin diesel, maintenance and navigation.

I think the boat is in great shape according to the survey but
I do want to upgrade some of the electronics and I need
to get a TV with a antennae that can get local channels.

Next summer cruise the Mississippi and later the loop with wintering
in Fl.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Lets GO Hawks

Wish I could help you but I'm in the same boat, (pun intended). I just bought a 36' Marine Trader Sundeck and have no clue how to operate it except for systems. I am hiring a captain once I get her Coast Guard compliant to teach me the ropes, (pun intended again!)

I wish you much success on your new boat! There are very knowledgeable people on this site!!!!

Well I took the plunge.

Congratulations on the new boat. What prior boating experience do you have? Your plan sounds like a good one and I bet that with the training you are getting that you will learn the skills quickly.

Mostly just running pontoons and flat boats on the river.

Did a fantastic 300 mile trip from Prescott Wi, back to Clinton Ia
this summer on the pontoon. Camping along the way.

That trip kind of fired me up for a Loop or longer trips to winter
in a warm place.

I have a 3870 with the Hino EH-700 diesels, I'am at Louisiana, Missouri on the Mississippi River. I've had it since spring of 2010 and have put over 100 hours per year on it, the fuel burn rate including generator time over my ownership is 3.1 GPH. I liveaboard on mine most of the year and have been very happy with its efficiency, dependability, comfort and storage. I did have to replace the aluminium water tank a couple of years ago with a couple of poly tanks, that is the only major problem I've had and for a 30 year old boat that's not bad. Good luck with your 38 I'am sure you'll enjoy it, if you have any questions on maintenance just ask I do most all of mine, or any other questions on the 38s I can help you with.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I am hiring a captain once I get her Coast Guard compliant to teach me the ropes, (pun intended again!)

Actually that's not a pun, "know the ropes" or "learn the ropes " originated on tall ships. In the middle of a storm or battle wasn't a good time to learn what ropes do what so you got to "know the ropes" when you joined a ship.

any idea which antennae I could buy to hook up with a TV
to get local channels?

I put in a Mohu flat antenna. They start around $40 and go up to $100 for the 50 mile one.

I get over 40 channels on mine and good quality reception.

It fits nicely on the window behind the blinds and is out of sight.

Congratulations! I think you'll like the Bayliner.

Too bad you weren't able to go along on the delivery run, that would be a great way to learn to handle the boat. But take it slow, one thing at a time, practice a lot, and you'll do better than a lot of other boat owners out there.

Well I took the plunge.

in Fl.

Lets GO Hawks

Wifey B: YAY! :dance::dance::dance:

I think doing the cruising school together will be super fab. This boating stuff is so much fun when you do it all together and both of you know what you're doing. :)

There are lots of Hawks. You might want to pick one. Atlanta Hawks? Seattle Seahawks? Chicago Black Hawks?

Wish I could help you but I'm in the same boat, (pun intended). I just bought a 36' Marine Trader Sundeck and have no clue how to operate it except for systems. I am hiring a captain once I get her Coast Guard compliant to teach me the ropes, (pun intended again!)

I wish you much success on your new boat! There are very knowledgeable people on this site!!!!

Wifey B: Great Plan. :)

And don't go sanding the teak every three months or anything like that, no way. Get some teak cleaner from the teak manufacturer or, if you don't know, some teak manufacturer and watch the video on how to clean it and just do that. You'll be amazed how well it can work with how little work. :D

If you read the book Brightwork you'd not put teak cleaners and other similar products on teak ... or any other wood. The strong chemicals are very hard on the wood.
Most of the wood finishing talk on TF is about how to get out of work. And if you really do need to lead a life of leisure just sand and paint it. And if you're not up to that dump the boat. No need then to talk about and complain about the work. Just don't do it but take the responsibility of maintaining the boat.
Why do people buy these teak boats and then go bananas when work raises it's head. So avoid the work .... paint it.

Last edited:
If you read the book Brightwork you'd not put teak cleaners and other similar products on teak ... or any other wood. The strong chemicals are very hard on the wood.
Most of the wood finishing talk on TF is about how to get out of work. And if you really do need to lead a life of leisure just sand and paint it. And if you're not up to that dump the boat. No need then to talk about and complain about the work. Just don't do it but take the responsibility of maintaining the boat.
Why do people buy these teak boats and then go bananas when work raises it's head. So avoid the work .... paint it.

Wifey B: Well, no one said a thing about using strong chemicals. :mad: I'd use exactly what my teak manufacturer says to use. The World's Leader in Pre-Manufactured Custom Teak Decks - Teakdecking Systems® And I'd clean just as they say:

https://youtu.be/aVhd7Y7v6us

I don't consider anything with strong chemicals appropriate but that's not what I'm referring to when I said "get some teak cleaner from the teak manufacturer or, if you don't know, some teak manufacturer and watch the video on how to clean it and just do that." :banghead:

I stick to my answer and don't feel the need to read the book Brightwork. Thanks for the recommendation though. :rolleyes:

I stick to my answer and don't feel the need to read the book Brightwork. Thanks for the recommendation though. :rolleyes:

It was written by a woman you know.

It was written by a woman you know.

Wifey B: Well, it was, and may still be good even though 16 years old. Still, I trust our teak manufacturer to know how to care for his product and our teak looks like new. ;)

Congratulations! I think you'll like the Bayliner.

Too bad you weren't able to go along on the delivery run, that would be a great way to learn to handle the boat. But take it slow, one thing at a time, practice a lot, and you'll do better than a lot of other boat owners out there.
He said he was going along for the 59 mile ride home on it.

Future reference as I will probably have 1000 questions for this learned group

lets go Hawks

The Iowa hawkeyes

Barbarian: Congrats.

Regarding playing with the boat. If all else fails treat it as a single engine boat at first. It's easy to get muffed up twin screwing at first between looking ahead and behind. So if it gets sticky slow down and revert to single engine thought. Pretty quickly you will adapt to twin engine use. But always keep single engine operating in the back of your mind.

Other than that have a big cooler of ice You always need ice. More ice is better.

Regarding teak. Simple. Decks: Scrub brush and comet cleanser. Rinse, scrub, rinse done. Let them patina grey.

I'm lucky my boat has 4 pieces of exterior teak (which are polyurethaned). Which is about 4 pieces too much.

Not happy with the poly. May try spar varnish after sanding this winter.

Well I took the plunge.

in Fl.

Lets GO Hawks

Congratulations! We went from a 22' center console to a 50' single screw with no thrusters. Just take it slow and you'll be fine. We found that the training captain didn't really teach us anything new, but he was invaluable in building our confidence. Remember to relax and have fun!

After 59 miles you will be amazed at how much you will learn and hopefully you'll remember to make it fun. While there are serious things out there, just take it slow and enjoy.

Now you've done it!! :banghead: Get familiar/read-up with/on the boat and seamanship!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom