Old 05-02-2016, 10:56 PM   #1

City: Sitka, AK
Vessel Name: Magnetic North
Vessel Model: 1985 Californian 34
bought a boat

Well, after over 18 months, a couple of trips to Seattle, a couple of surveys, and one boat falling through three different times, I wound up buying a boat right in my own back yard in Sitka. It wasn't advertised or technically even for sale, but as of today my bank and I own a 1985 Californian 34. Coincidentally, as of today, I learned there's a problem connecting to shore power and a fuel leak. Of course neither of those showed up on the survey (but to be fair I could have probably opted out if I really tried), so I guess I'd better start digging in the other forums and hopefully they aren't huge problems. If you know anything about CAT 3208s or AC breakers and shore power, feel free to PM me
robs523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:15 AM   #2

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
Congratulations on your purchase!

We really enjoy our LRC. I've not been aboard a 34 but the layouts that have been shared on TF look very comfortable.

To date our 3208's have been trouble free, just fluids and filters. I hope to have a few other projects behind me before dealing with the injector pump or injectors.

If your boat is anything like ours, be prepared to chase, locate and redo allot of electrical connections. Early on I had intermittent shore power issues. I found poor crimp connections on both the selector switch and shore power inlet. You'll gain knowledge and confidence with each conquered gremlin. Hang in there.

There is a wealth of knowledge held by helpful members here with allot more experience than me.

Best wishes.

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:45 AM   #3

thanks! The boat had a major overhaul in 2004, including engine rebuilds and a ton of electrical. The shore power in the old slip worked fine, but now we have new transient docking that I have to use and it's brand new equipment. My understanding is that if there is a ground issue with the boat, it trips the newer, upgraded breaker automatically. I'm taking it as a minor issue, and I can still use the boat until I fix it, so not too worried yet.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:41 AM   #4
Guru

City: Here
check if there is a neutral / ground bond on your boat
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #5

City: Exumas
Vessel Name: Bad Monkey
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Congratulations.
As Eric said, crimp connections could be cause.
With all breakers on the boat off does it still trip the shore power. This would indicate that the problem is between the shore power and the vessels breaker. Don't know how much you know about Electrickery so start by making sure you have no power connected, Invertor as well. Then check all connections are tight from initial input plug, through to breaker. Also each wire to ground as one of the wires may have chaffed somewhere in the run.

You said it is brand new shore side. It is possible they have got something wrong there.
If it didn't trip initially with all vessel breakers off, start by flipping on main breaker then systematically go through flipping one on at a time till you find the faulty line.
Just remember there could be more then one. When the breaker trips check the offender with the checks mentioned above.
Also I went through the lot of mine and made sure all connections were tight from the start. It takes little time and is just another step in getting to know your new baby!
Hope this helps.

"Eagles may soar, but monkeys don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Capstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

thanks! I put the breakers on the boat all in the off position and plugged in. That didn't trip it, but as soon as I switched on my AC main, it blew. We can still use the boat and I have a genset if we need it, but it will be nice to get this fixed. The first test comes today- docking at the fuel station.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

City: Exumas
Vessel Name: Bad Monkey
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by robs523 View Post
thanks! I put the breakers on the boat all in the off position and plugged in. That didn't trip it, but as soon as I switched on my AC main, it blew. We can still use the boat and I have a genset if we need it, but it will be nice to get this fixed. The first test comes today- docking at the fuel station.
I am hoping the power coming from shore side is correct in volts and on the right legs and not crossed over. If not it could trip your breaker.
When you say AC Main you do mean main ships supply AC, not, Air conditioning, right?
Just checking. If the former:
I would disconnect and make sure wiring connections on boat side of breaker are good.
If you don't have a multi-meter or know how to use one you are going to need some one to come in and help.
I would also check the main boat breaker. Keep in off position and see if it ohms out on any leg to each leg and also from any leg to earth bus bar? Once again I would make sure I am disconnected from shore power before doing this.
After these steps it becomes a little more complicated.
If all the other breakers are off, and working properly I believe the problem can only be from shore supply through to breakers.
Because you said it was working at the other dock I would say it is:
1 - Shore supply issue
2 - Breaker Issue
3 - Connection or wire failure

As for docking and fueling. Many, many moons ago my captain told me "When docking go as slow as you want to be going if you were going to hit something"
Also slack tide is always a good time!
I hope this helps.

"Eagles may soar, but monkeys don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Capstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:00 AM   #8

Thanks for the help. I guess it's a GFI issue with the new pedestals (thanks for the link, Bacchus). Technically I guess it's a boat issue but I'll blame the pedestal for now. A friend is going to look at it later this week or early next. My biggest concern now is the fuel leak. Off to the maintenance forums...