Bottom paint/Ultra Bio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
Last time I did a quick haul, the manager of the boat yard was really bashing on Interlux paints. I have used Ultra Bio for a very long time with EXCELLENT results. I usually get 4-5 years out of it in the Galveston Bay area. But he said Interlux reformulated their paints and people were not getting the same performance out of their paints. Has anyone heard anything about this??? He has spooked me enough to where I may just jump over to Pettit Trinidad SR as I know that is a similarly performing paint to Interlux Ultra.

Has anyone heard anything like this?

PS...It is not OJ that told me this. If it was I would believe him. In fact I need to call OJ to see if he has heard anything as that is likely who I would get to do the bottom job.

I find the performance of paint to vary with region and usage type. Asking boaters at your marina or harbor with similar boats and habits what paint they are using and if they like it is a good idea. Someone here listed a link to jamestown distributor's interactive map with bottom paint review which is a cool idea. https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/surveyMap.do?surveyId=101

Last edited:
What disturbs me is his statements are generalized for Interlux and not specific to one of their paints. I often see the problem not as brand of paint but of choosing the wrong paint from that brand for the location and use. As to whether a specific paint has been reformulated, I'd recommend calling Interlux. Application is also very important.

Trilux 2 sucks. I can't think of any other way to say it. It is good for "maybe" one season, if that. There is no rejection of weeds and the barnacles and mussels (and last year, oysters) have no reticence to grow anywhere on the hull. Its crap, actually. I was thinking of using latex housepaint this year as the Trilux won't work any better and costs way more.

I can hardly wait for someone to invent a better, economical bottom coating which will put all these rip-off paint companies under.

Hi, I don't know if is legal to mix Lead Fluoride Powder in bottom paint can improve it?
Just an idea!

Never mind.

Last edited:
Okay I called the competing yard and it reminded me of what actually happened. I apologize for the misunderstanding. But what the deal was is that Interlux has discontinued Ultra Bio and they use Super Bottomkote as its market replacement. And it is the Super Bottomkote that totally sucks. This confirmed by a couple of calls to local yards and they are all in agreement. So Trinidad SR will be my choice.

Back
Top Bottom