Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Bottom Paint recommendation

Shopping for bottom paint for two applications:

First is to coat thruster blades and the tunnel on the trawler. I've used VELOX PLUS in the past and is not horrible, but expensive. And it takes time to apply because of the primer and then two or three coats.

Second application is to use it on a 17ft runabout, that already has bottom paint on it, but need a touch up.

Prefer the hard stuff. Not the ablative. But will listen to arguements for either.

And in another year or so, will be shopping for bottom paint for the trawler.

What does the wisdom say?
Old 12-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here's what my yards have used the past 10 years with good results. In my brackish waters, it lasts 3-6 years with quarterly bottom scrubbing by the diver.

Sea Hawk Sharkskin Antifoul

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Here's what my yards have used the past 10 years with good results. In my brackish waters, it lasts 3-6 years with quarterly bottom scrubbing by the diver.

Sea Hawk Sharkskin Antifoul
As a hull cleaner with 25 years experience, I wouldn't recommend a Sea Hawk product to my worst enemy, Sharkskin included. That said and in all fairness, I know plenty of Florida hull divers that love it.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Pettit Trinidad SR.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I have had good luck with Petit Prop Coat on my thruster blades and all my running gear. It is not to be confused with their Prop Speed product which is much more expensive and very complicated to correctly apply.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
Guru

Thx!

Woodland: Does the Petit Prop Coat need a primer? Seems pretty simple with a spray on.

Fsstbttms: Is the Pettit Trinidad SR available in pints or quarts? A gallon is more than I need.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
As a hull cleaner with 25 years experience, I wouldn't recommend a Sea Hawk product to my worst enemy, Sharkskin included. That said and in all fairness, I know plenty of Florida hull divers that love it.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Pettit Trinidad SR.

Fatbttms,

Why do you say the Sea Hawk is bad? Is it better in Florida for some reason?
Old 12-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #7
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
If you haven’t done so already check out the Jamestown Distributers Paint Survey. If you scroll to the bottom it will give you a map. Drill down to your area.
https://www.jamestowndistributors.co....do?docId=1203
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Why do you say the Sea Hawk is bad? Is it better in Florida for some reason?
First off, I'd prefer if you got my name right.

There are two reasons I never recommend any Sea Hawk products:

1.- I have never found one that performed worth a damn here in the Bay Area. I have had customers haul their boats with relatively new Sea Hawk bottoms and repaint with something that actually works. Does it do the job in Florida? I couldn't tell you, but they sell a lot of it there, that's for sure.

2.- The company's entire management team did actual time in prison a few years ago for federal crimes involving the production and sale of their tributyl tin anti fouling paint products. The fact that they still manufacture TbT paints is bad enough. The fact that they lied to their customers and the EPA about it and continued to help poison the environment with it after it had become illegal to do so in this country is another and enough reason in and of itself to avoid Sea Hawk altogether, IMHO.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
So much of it depends on where you are. Ask people in your area what works.

I've used SeaHawk and Petit Trinidad, and Petit Trinidad SR on the gulf coast of Mississippi and they all worked great. The Petit Trinidad Sr and the Petit Trinidad both worked great in the Bahamas, too.

But, I used Petit Trinidad on my boat in south Florida, and I was having to put a diver on it once a month, three months after it hit the water.

I can't remember what I used in the Chesapeake, but I asked the yard guy what he recommended, and that's what I used, and it worked pretty good.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I used Petit Trinidad on my boat in south Florida, and I was having to put a diver on it once a month, three months after it hit the water.
Is it your position that you shouldn't have had to have your bottom cleaned monthly in Florida?
Old 12-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
So much of it depends on where you are. Ask people in your area what works.

I've used SeaHawk and Petit Trinidad, and Petit Trinidad SR on the gulf coast of Mississippi and they all worked great. The Petit Trinidad Sr and the Petit Trinidad both worked great in the Bahamas, too.

But, I used Petit Trinidad on my boat in south Florida, and I was having to put a diver on it once a month, three months after it hit the water.

I can't remember what I used in the Chesapeake, but I asked the yard guy what he recommended, and that's what I used, and it worked pretty good.

Group 9,

Wow, I'd love to only clean my boat once a month here in St. Pete, in the warm months. I see growth in a week and clean it every other week, and that's been the case for every boat I've had here for the past 20 years.

Boats without bottom paint (which I've had plenty), show barnacles in 2 to 3 days!

Thx for the info.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
First off, I'd prefer if you got my name right.

There are two reasons I never recommend any Sea Hawk products:

1.- I have never found one that performed worth a damn here in the Bay Area. I have had customers haul their boats with relatively new Sea Hawk bottoms and repaint with something that actually works. Does it do the job in Florida? I couldn't tell you, but they sell a lot of it there, that's for sure.

2.- The company's entire management team did actual time in prison a few years ago for federal crimes involving the production and sale of their tributyl tin anti fouling paint products. The fact that they still manufacture TbT paints is bad enough. The fact that they lied to their customers and the EPA about it and continued to help poison the environment with it after it had become illegal to do so in this country is another and enough reason in and of itself to avoid Sea Hawk altogether, IMHO.

fstbttms,
Sorry for screwing up your name....

Reason no 2 is reason enough not to do business with these folks regardless of how good their product is. Thx!
Old 12-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I like to get several 3/4 to 7/8ths used up gallon cans of whatever copper paint I can find at the yard. Based on the theory that most don’t stir very often and the copper largely collects in the bottom of the can. Gone a long time on the last coating.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I've never heard of the Seahawks' company history mentioned above but I have used their ablative paint for 20 years up here with good results...2-3 years on single-coat with no growth.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
I've never heard of the Seahawks' company history mentioned above but I have used their ablative paint for 20 years up here with good results...2-3 years on single-coat with no growth.

I always like to verify stuff like this....

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus...d-coating-case

https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler...d-over-tbt-use

Food for thought.....
Old 12-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #16
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Thanks for posting that......pretty damning. I think I'll be changing brands next time around.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
No wonder it's worked so well!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #18
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Is it your position that you shouldn't have had to have your bottom cleaned monthly in Florida?
When I moved down there, I had no idea how much worse the barnacle growth was in south Florida. I took my boat out, three months after the bottom job I put on it when I first bought it, and couldn't get it on plane (out of the yard it had jumped up on plane). I told my harbormaster and he laughed when I told him I had gone three months without a hull cleaning. After that, I paid to have it cleaned every month.

Pretty much everyone I knew down there in Miami was having it done monthly, or abouts.

My point was, where you are makes a lot of difference in how bottom paint performs, and you have to be careful that you are not comparing apples and oranges when talking about bottom paint performance.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I switched to Petit Trinidad SR last year and have my bottom cleaned monthly in Florida, every 2 to 3 months in Maryland. Boat doesn't go fast enough for ablative to work, so need it scrubbed anyway. I only care that the paint keeps the hard growth (barnacles) from starting.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #20
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Ted...not sure why you think 6 knots is too slow for ablatives...

Maybe Pettit ablatives ????...some didn't work on my 20 knot sportfish at all.

But I have only good things to say of the 3 ablative or polishing Interlux paints I have had on 2 sailboats and my 6.3 knot trawler.

They definitely wore off for me as the layered paint colors have been a good telltale for me.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote