Bottom paint question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Put some cayenne pepper in your paint wherever u have it painted. I have done this for years as the barnicals don't like it.

Don’t blame me but this is a unicorn. If that really had an effect Tabasco would have jumped in the anti fouling business lol

L

Photo Ablative paint ablates as to the light that falls on it. In other words, the water line ablates faster than the keel. Since most slime grows where there is light, the photo ablative paint stays fresher where the slime is most likely to grab on.

Thanks. I had never heard about that.

Photo Ablative paint ablates as to the light that falls on it. In other words, the water line ablates faster than the keel. Since most slime grows where there is light, the photo ablative paint stays fresher where the slime is most likely to grab on.

Almost, but not quite. Photo reactive anti fouling paints use an ingredient that creates hydrogen peroxide when exposed to sunlight. The hydrogen peroxide is a short lived biocide that retards growth but does not persist in the environment. The more sunlight, the more biocide. That's why it is more effective at the waterline. But it has nothing to do with ablation, which is what ablative paints do when water moves over its surface. The paint actually wears away like a bar of soap. Not the same process as what is described above.

Next time your down by the keys ask a charter boat captain if xxxhot pepper powder works in your bottom paint?

Next time your down by the keys ask a charter boat captain if xxxhot pepper powder works in your bottom paint?

You think for one minute that if making anti fouling paint more effective was as simple as dumping some chili powder into it, there wouldn't be chili pepper anti fouling paint on the shelf at every West Marine in the country?

But maybe you're right. Some backassward pukeboat captain knows better than the chemists at the multinational corporations who have spent decades and hundreds of millions of dollars developing these products. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Old wives tales and old sailors tales spread wildly through the universe, but that does not make any of them necessarily true. I know a lot of things fishing charter captains believe to be true that have been disproved scientifically. However, as long as they believe them then they'll believe they're also being proved regularly to them.

Fishermen have more beliefs and superstitions and I know some are true and some aren't but for the life of me could never figure out which are which.

I am using interlux ultra , black. It was put on in February 2014. Except for a couple scrapes from sea ice the paint has held up quite well. The boat is hauled every 2 years washed and and put back in. I have not seen a paint hold up as well in our area.

https://newatlas.com/ivermectin-barnacle-boat-paint/28182/

0.1% IVERMECTIN in bottom paint will prevent anything from growing on the paint.

They can make paints that stop growth, but getting government approval??

U Gothenburg post-grad student Emiliano Pinori has taken yet another approach. Instead of copper oxide, he’s mixed an antiparasitic agent known as ivermectin with regular hull paint. Unlike the copper, very little of the substance leaves the paint. Instead, barnacles come into contact with it only once they attempt to penetrate the paint’s surface. They’re then poisoned, and fall off the vessel.

According to Pinori’s research, a concentration of just 0.1 percent ivermectin is sufficient to render a paint barnacle-proof, with the anti-fouling effect lasting for “many years.” While small amounts of ivermectin still do leach into the water, he is hoping to get that amount down to zero.

Wonderful lets do it.

Last edited:
I was generous with the year. People in South Florida go a year but at 9 months or so the paint is gone and often at 6 months it's heavily depleted.

Not arguing here but..6 months? 9 months? I put on 2 coats of Petit Ultima SR-60 going on two years ago and it is in good shape according to diver and my personal looks. We have the bottom cleaned every month in summer, every 6 weeks in winter. I am in Jupiter which is a bit further north than B&B but not that much further. Maybe I'm just the luckiest guy in SFL!

Not arguing here but..6 months? 9 months? I put on 2 coats of Petit Ultima SR-60 going on two years ago and it is in good shape according to diver and my personal looks. We have the bottom cleaned every month in summer, every 6 weeks in winter. I am in Jupiter which is a bit further north than B&B but not that much further. Maybe I'm just the luckiest guy in SFL!

And your paint is a dual biocide ablative. Properly cleaned and not run too much or too fast, I'd expect it to last longer. Put it on a planing boat used heavily and a different story and use a standard ablative paint, different. Two years makes sense as with proper care we get a bit more than that on hard. Also where you are in Jupiter can influence. Glad you're having good luck.

If effective anti fouling is desired, bring back tin based paint - Micron 33

Best anti fouling paint ever made.

Bottom Paint - "Paint Sickness" or "Bad Prep" or....

New bottom paint Spring of this year (sorry do not know what type). Diver took a video of the hull this last weekend and noted 3 "small" areas where paint is gone (see photo). Have had a couple of different explanations (1)"Paint Sickness" - too many coats applied so not adhering in certain areas, (2) surfaced bot prepped correctly. Anyone have any insight or perhaps had a similar issue?

I have been told the first issue requires me to remove all bottom paint and start anew ($10,000 quote from boat yard :eek:) while the second issue only requires a little more prep on affected areas next haul paint.

Thanks

Attachments

• bottom paint 1.jpg
    bottom paint 1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 30
  • bottom paint 2.jpg
    bottom paint 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 31
How thick is the bottom paint? I had a 32’ Trojan soda blasted several years ago. It cost $35 per foot so it was just over $1100. I did the barrier coat and bottom paint which cost about $900. But that was not in California.

I agree that it most likely is a prep problem. Whoever did the bottom paint either didn’t get the hull clean or didn’t sand it properly.

Almost, but not quite. Photo reactive anti fouling paints use an ingredient that creates hydrogen peroxide when exposed to sunlight. The hydrogen peroxide is a short lived biocide that retards growth but does not persist in the environment. The more sunlight, the more biocide. That's why it is more effective at the waterline. But it has nothing to do with ablation, which is what ablative paints do when water moves over its surface. The paint actually wears away like a bar of soap. Not the same process as what is described above.

Their advertisement calls it "Photo ablative" I dont give a damned what its called, it works wonderfully. I bought 500 gallons of it on a palate and have been using it for years.

You think for one minute that if making anti fouling paint more effective was as simple as dumping some chili powder into it, there wouldn't be chili pepper anti fouling paint on the shelf at every West Marine in the country?

But maybe you're right. Some backassward pukeboat captain knows better than the chemists at the multinational corporations who have spent decades and hundreds of millions of dollars developing these products. :facepalm:

Do you always have to personally insult people when you disagree? I am accused of being arrogant, but you take the prize. Tell me where to ship it.

Do you always have to personally insult people when you disagree? I am accused of being arrogant, but you take the prize. Tell me where to ship it.

Oh, you'll know when I insult you. I haven't done that yet. :rofl:

I never tried chili powder, but there are things you an put in bottom paint to kill organisms that work better. Most are legal to buy but illegal to use in bottom paint. I don't have the need, in cold water and in and out of salt & fresh. But if I had the need...

I never tried chili powder, but there are things you an put in bottom paint to kill organisms that work better.

What things might those be?

Most are legal to buy but illegal to use in bottom paint.

In the U.S., if you can buy posses it legally, you can put it in your anti fouling paint. You (as a citizen using it for your own purposes) do not fall under the same regulations as a manufacturer selling the altered paint to the public or other businesses.

New bottom paint Spring of this year (sorry do not know what type). Diver took a video of the hull this last weekend and noted 3 "small" areas where paint is gone (see photo). Have had a couple of different explanations (1)"Paint Sickness" - too many coats applied so not adhering in certain areas, (2) surfaced bot prepped correctly. Anyone have any insight or perhaps had a similar issue?

I have been told the first issue requires me to remove all bottom paint and start anew ($10,000 quote from boat yard :eek:) while the second issue only requires a little more prep on affected areas next haul paint.

Thanks

It's both. Too many coats of non ablating paint can get heavy and if one of the previous coats was applied over improperly prepped bottom paint, can simply fall off.

When I bought Sandpiper in 2000, it had 24 years of non ablative paint on it. On the first haul out during pressure washing, 1' X 2' sections of paint fell off. I painted over the craters. My diver reported additional sections falling off over the years.

On the next haul out, I scraped the bottom paint off to the gel coat. The 24 years of non ablating paint was over 1/4" thick. The scraped bottom paint filled 4 garbage cans and each garbage can required a forklift to empty from the weight.

Since the gel coat was exposed, I ended up sanding it and applying Interlux System 2000 epoxy barrier coat on it prior to 5 coats of ablative paint.

It's been 10 years since haul out and other than an annual prop painting on a tidal grid, the bottom is still in good condition repelling barnacles. There has been an increase in slime over the last 5 years requiring a diver but no barnacles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom