Bottom paint job on 42' trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Just got quote of $4000 to haul, prep, two coats plus third coat on waterline with micron 66.. Cheaper in the Bahamas? Cuba? Puerto Rico? Anywhere???

Sounds like a good price to me, I paid $100 a foot for for blasting, barrier coat, and two coats of Trinidad SR. It was already hauled out, no idea what it would run anywhere else but that sounds fair.

Last time I had a bottom soda blasted it alone cost $35 per foot. I did the epoxy blister protection and then the bottom painting.

I suppose its about the going rate...

Does that include an epoxy barrier coating?

Prep is not soda blasting unless they say it is.

'Bottom Prep'.....How much for it, the time required and to do what? I'd get a couple other bids from other yards. You're in Oregon, but call Seaview in Seattle to see what they would charge. Ask for Tiel, the GM.

Does that include an epoxy barrier coating?
They sand blasted the bottom and applied a barrier coat 5 years ago plus 2 coats of paint. I shouldn't have to do the barrier coat again should I?

No the barrier coat should still be good. Do you have ablative paint on the boat? If so the prep isn’t really much more than pressure washing. Now the price seems high to me.

Ablative but its been 5 years...

"Ablative but its been 5 years..."

GREAT , there should be lots less paint to wash off.

Is the bottom mostly clean or a foot of growth?

Our last price for a 42 foot haul out, sand blast, barrier epoxy coat, two coats of Petit Trinidad (three at leading edges and waterline, was $3250 in 2015 (Bay Marine, Biloxi, MS). . But, that was in Mississippi. Our prices here are generally a little lower on everything than in the six other states I lived in (Alabama, Florida, Texas, Virginia, Maryland, and Louisiana (barely lower than AL and LA, a lot lower than the rest.).

He actually quoted us $3400. :)

Last edited:
Just had it cleaned 3 weeks ago..

Our last price for a 42 foot haul out, sand blast, barrier epoxy coat, two coats of Petit Trinidad (three at leading edges and waterline, was $3250 in 2015 (Bay Marine, Biloxi, MS). . But, that was in Mississippi. Our prices here are generally a little lower on everything than in the six other states I lived in (Alabama, Florida, Texas, Virginia, Maryland, and Louisiana (barely lower than AL and LA, a lot lower than the rest.).

He actually quoted us $3400. :)

That is a very good price no matter where you are, good for you.

Micron 66 is really expensive paint and the retail cost would account for a significant part of the quote but the prep on a clean ablative surface truly is minimal and the total cost sounds high to me. Is there anything else included the may have included in the quote like perhaps a new boot stripe or maybe they are assuming 1' of growth? I would definitely shop around.

Last edited:
Just had mine done.

42’ of paint - Seahawk tropicote. Two coats on the bottom, three on the sides and running gear.

Haul, block, prep and 5 days in the yard if needed was $2100

Just had mine done.

42’ of paint - Seahawk tropicote. Two coats on the bottom, three on the sides and running gear.

Haul, block, prep and 5 days in the yard if needed was $2100
My 42'-Interlux-2 coats on bottom-3 on the sides-haul, block, pressure wash and wet sand.
$2,100.00 & 4 days in the yard. (Last month)

Last edited:
I think the $4000 price is out of line if they are only doing a couple of coats of paint and a third at the waterline. I would do some more shopping around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom