Bottom paint? Blue water marine paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saintglenn

Veteran Member
Searched the forum and did not
Find anything about this. Has anyine used their products? Im Leaning towards them or interlux... Opinions?

Stick with Interlux...the marine construction firm I used to work for uses Bluewater products and all my old buddies say it's very finicky paint. I was there several times company reps had to come down and inspect failed paint jods because it's so finicky to apply as decribed to me.

That's not to say most of us aren't more fincky than many pro applicators..I think many time we are...but why start on the short end of the stick...
All said...I have no personal experience so I'll be happy to hear from those that have...options in the world of expensive bottom paint is a wonderful thing!

I use Interlux bottom paint too. But one comment about that. If it is a yard supplying and painting the boat. Be sure they are giving you a good quality product. I learned my lesson two years ago for not asking questions. When I made arrangements with my usual yard to do my haul out and bottom work, they gave me a package price and I never thought to ask about the paint as I knew they use Interlux.

It looked great when it came out of the yard, but within 6 months was growing grass and slime at the waterline. When I asked them about that, they said it was ablative paint and that is the way it works. It washed off when I went out for a run alright, but this spring the growth came back with a vengeance. Looks like a vegetable garden and doesn't wash off now. My diver reported barnacle growth here and there and commented the paint was worn out, needs to be hauled in his report? He was astonished that it was just two summers on the paint.

Turns out they used Interlux Micron bottom of the line paint. The Interlux rep who came down to the boat said it looks like it is flaking off instead of wearing off and it probably wasn't applied according to the manufactures instructions. He thinks the paint will crack up and all fall off when it's hauled, pressure washed and allowed to dry. I hope he's right about the "fall off" part, sure don't want to scrape it. He personally recommended a better grade of Interlux paint which was either Extra or Plus. I will be hauling out next month, so we will see what the yard has to say.

Larry B

I use Interlux bottom paint too. But one comment about that. If it is a yard supplying and painting the boat. Be sure they are giving you a good quality product. I learned my lesson two years ago for not asking questions. When I made arrangements with my usual yard to do my haul out and bottom work, they gave me a package price and I never thought to ask about the paint as I knew they use Interlux.

It looked great when it came out of the yard, but within 6 months was growing grass and slime at the waterline. When I asked them about that, they said it was ablative paint and that is the way it works. It washed off when I went out for a run alright, but this spring the growth came back with a vengeance. Looks like a vegetable garden and doesn't wash off now. My diver reported barnacle growth here and there and commented the paint was worn out, needs to be hauled in his report? He was astonished that it was just two summers on the paint.

Turns out they used Interlux Micron bottom of the line paint. The Interlux rep who came down to the boat said it looks like it is flaking off instead of wearing off and it probably wasn't applied according to the manufactures instructions. He thinks the paint will crack up and all fall off when it's hauled, pressure washed and allowed to dry. I hope he's right about the "fall off" part, sure don't want to scrape it. He personally recommended a better grade of Interlux paint which was either Extra or Plus. I will be hauling out next month, so we will see what the yard has to say.

Larry B

Edelweiss, we are in the same area. 2 coats +1 along the water line using a bottom paint with Irgarol will give you 4-5 years (3 cleanings per year). I'm on my 5th year (Woolsey ablative w/Irgarol). Woolsey is made by Petit. I believe West Marine's PCA Gold is the same stuff. Anyway, I won't use anything else.

Wish I could go back to copper paint. Always lasted 4 or 5 years with no problem. It's wonderful living in the only State that doesn't allow it (Unless you are wealthy and own a boat over 65'.) What a joke.

Last year for this administration, maybe we will get some smarter lawmakers who will reverse the anti copper law. (I know, I'm just a dreamer!!) Ooops sorry :offtopic:

Thanks
Larry B

If you venture offshore WHITE might be the color of choice as some claim fewer whale strikes.

We applied Blue Water Copper Shield SCX 45 ablative (black) on our 36’ trawler back in March 2010. We chose this paint because it was highly rated on a Practical Sailor antifouling test, March 2009. It was the second bottom paint job since the boat was new. The original paint was reported by the dealer to be Interlux Micron CSC which we painted right over with the SCX 45 as advised by the people at Blue Water paints. Two coats on the hull and three coats at the waterline. We keep the boat in a non covered moorage in the Puget Sound area. On a side note, the 18 month Practical Sailor checkup on their antifouling test (March 2011 issue), rates the Blue Water Copper Shield SCX 45 as “good”. Also, as I understand it, copper based bottom paints are grandfathered in Washington State until 2020. After that, copper content is restricted to .5%.

On application we did have some difficulty with adhesion in one particular area. After the second coat I noticed the paint crinkling and pealing down to the barrier coat in that area, seemingly taking the previous coat of CSC with it. This issue seemed to be only in one area, approximately 2‘ square on the port bow above the thruster port. The yard manager felt it was most likely the result of leftover mold release (a type of wax??) as the boat was only 3 years old. That really didn’t make sense to me as the original paint didn’t seem to have problems adhering..., that I noticed anyway. I did consult with Blue Water directly and they said that the problem could very well be the result of mold release leaching through with the application of the new paint due to the solvents in the paint and to clean the area with the Blue Water solvent and reapply..., which we did.

Now we’re in our 3rd year with this paint and there have been no hard growth anywhere the paint is. I dive the boat myself 3-4 times a year and inspect the hull very carefully. Preventing hard growth is of course the main reason for any bottom paint, so in this purpose the paint has performed well up to this point. Slime and grass prevention at the waterline on the other hand was only fair in the first year and non existent after that.

What I did notice last fall was that area on the port bow where the paint had problems adhering now showed signs of lifting. The paint is still present, but appears to be crinkling much like it did on in the yard during painting. Funny though, it doesn’t peal off while underway. Since it’s still doing it’s job preventing hard growth, I’m not disturbing it and watching it closely. Next haul out and paint job, I’ll have to investigate this issue. Not sure it’s the fault of the paint, or more the surface prep. before painting. Over all I would say the Blue Water paint has performed well. Paint crinkling not withstanding...., I would like to get another year out of this paint job. We’ll see. Hope this is helpful.

SteveH

Some bottom paints lose their antifouling capabilities when allowed to dry. Others will reactivate when placed back in the water. Check the specs.

I used Eco-clad this last haul out due to the large amount of algea growth in Charleston harbor due to the fast moving tides. I would have normally gone with Petit Ultima SR-40 but I did some research in the Eco-clad and it seemed to be a better choice. I think we may be one of the few boat in this area with this paint.

When I hauled her out last fall I had the hull blasted to the gelcoat and had all the blisters ground out and epoxied back and faired out. I went with two barrier coats two sealer coats and one coat of the Eco-clad. Only one coat because of the high build epoxy application. My painter really hated putting it on because of how thick it was. It took a few days to dry and the patch spots after the blocks were moved did not match very well. I was not impressed with the look of the paint after it was applied. The over night dew would leave streaks in the paint before we relaunched. I had a factory rep come out and she said it would dissapear when it got wet after launch which it did.

I have only cleaned the bottom three times since November and it seems to clean very easy per the diver. I will be interested in how it holds up on the next haul out next year. It is supposed to last up to five years (yea sure) Check out the pics and you will see the color difference wher it was re-touched after moving the blocks.

Here is a link to the Ecoclad folks. Eco-Clad | Antifouling Boat Bottom Paint | Eco-Clad

Davy

img_100824_0_525735428188ecbc5192d05056699520.jpg

img_100824_1_64fc143699fc66a0a03513eba805b6af.jpg

I used Eco-clad this last haul out due to the large amount of algea growth in Charleston harbor due to the fast moving tides. I would have normally gone with Petit Ultima SR-40 but I did some research in the Eco-clad and it seemed to be a better choice. I think we may be one of the few boat in this area with this paint.

When I hauled her out last fall I had the hull blasted to the gelcoat and had all the blisters ground out and epoxied back and faired out. I went with two barrier coats two sealer coats and one coat of the Eco-clad. Only one coat because of the high build epoxy application. My painter really hated putting it on because of how thick it was. It took a few days to dry and the patch spots after the blocks were moved did not match very well. I was not impressed with the look of the paint after it was applied. The over night dew would leave streaks in the paint before we relaunched. I had a factory rep come out and she said it would dissapear when it got wet after launch which it did.

I have only cleaned the bottom three times since November and it seems to clean very easy per the diver. I will be interested in how it holds up on the next haul out next year. It is supposed to last up to five years (yea sure) Check out the pics and you will see the color difference wher it was re-touched after moving the blocks.

Here is a link to the Ecoclad folks. Eco-Clad | Antifouling Boat Bottom Paint | Eco-Clad

Davy

Yes, they were at the boat show and I entered a drawing to win a free paint job. I didn't win (surprise), but I think I got a cupon for $25 off or something.

Several local people including the diving company that cleans my boat suggested Petit SR 77 (something like that) so that's what I used. That's also what the manufacturer's website said would be best for my boat and use.

The downside is, it loses its effectiveness if kept out of the water for too long. This means a haulout for any reason has to be pretty short.

Edit: I should probably say that the boat had already been bottom painted when I visited their booth. I might have used it otherwise.

Any experiences with interlux fiberglass bottomkote nt? It has benefits of a hard paint and antifouling.

Any experiences with interlux fiberglass bottomkote nt? It has benefits of a hard paint and antifouling.

Funny you should ask...used it this year because I used the interlux barrier coating and compatibility and wet bonding were at stake...and the Bottomkote NT was cheap...

Well I have to say...after 3 months there's virtually no growth in NJ coastal, water that is clean and fresh from the ocean where fouling is usually very bad. It's just starting to get some slime and tidal currents here approach 3 knots during new moon phases. I am very impressed having seen almost every paint used being in the business so to speak.

We just hauled out after over 4 years....the micron CSC was about worn out.. But I chose to repaint with Super Ship Bottom....a paint made in Fort Myers, FL....it has a 62% copper content, and its a "hard ablative"... with a proprietary copolymer formula, or so I am told. Super Shipbottom Multi-Season Antifouling Bottom Paint Index

We first went to St. Pete Muni...under cover....and they had a lot of growth there.... ended up with a few small barnacles at the waterline in hot summer water.... but I gotta tell you... I "brushed" them off with a soft deck brush....we left there and moved into brackish water up the Manatee River....and all we have now is some scum around the waterline.

I also went with their paint based on the word of people like Snow Goose, and others that had used the paint....and the cost didn't hurt!! Itend to overpaint...so I put 4 coats on the hull and an extra at the waterline.....
Hope to get another 4 to 5 years out of this bottom job....on the last haul out we had zero blisters....:D

Back
Top Bottom