Bottom job costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkasprzak

Veteran Member
First I apologize if this has been hashed out before, I did not find any threads that were specific to my question. I'm getting ready to have a bottom job done, hopefully just a basic sand and repaint. I would like to hear what others have paid recently. Total cost or cost pet foot....thanks.

Dave

Prices will be all over the place based on where you get it done. I get my work done in a work boat yard where labor rates are 50 to $60 per hour. Add to that, paint, brush, roller, and pan liner. My 45' trawler will take 2 gallons of premium paint. Total cost not counting the haulout will be less than $1,000. In Stuart, FL in 2014, the yard who short hauled me for the survey quoted $2,400 for roughly the same job.

When you say "basic sand", what do you mean?

Ted

Meaning no blister repair, no soda blasting etc. The price I was quoted was a lot closer to the Stuart, Fl price...2400 - 2500.

The cost of repainting the bottom on our 36' cabin cruiser including haulout, pressure wash, paint, labor and environmental fee is about $1,500.

We repaint or touch up the bootstripe ourselves. For reasons we don't understand yards tend to charge a lot to do this: $600 was the going rate a number of years ago. I'm told it's quite a bit more today. That's a hefty price for a simple job that takes us an hour at best.

Bottom paint jobs are a bread and butter business. There are relatively easy to do,everybody gets it done, most don't shop the price too much, and an unscrupulous yard can really gouge you between paint and labor. Something to bare in mind, the price I quoted was one coat of premium paint. Some yards and boat owners prefer two or more coats. After my refit, the bottom was blasted to the gelcoat, barrier coated, and then received 2 coats of bottom paint. Going forward, when bottom painted, any spots that are down to the barrier coat will be touched up, and then the whole bottom will be repainted with only one coat. Finally, the paint is a large part of the cost. You can spend 150 to over $500 a gallon on paint. Know in advance what paint is going to be used and it's cost. The really good paint I use (no longer available :banghead: ) lists near $375 a gallon and the yard sells it for $320. Don't use crap paint; don't pay $500 a gallon for crap paint!

Ted

If you are in Seabrook, try Ben Miller from BM Boatworks (Kemah). He will look and give a written quote and his price will include everything. Nothing additional like dockage, yard storage, lift etc etc. I had mine done there and found him awesome. He is an active boater and very professional IMHO.

Back in the day... 60''s / 70's I did a lot of boat bottom painting. Pretty crappy job to have to do on a regular basis, if you ask me. Once every few years - not so bad! No matter how well and "pretty" you do a bottom... tiz little appreciation provided; once in the water none other than snorkelers/bottom-cleaners get opp to see your artistry. lol

I plan to haul our Tolly next fall (was going to do it this fall but tree falling on our house stooped that effort) for lots of "make it better/pretty" from keel to flush deck. Bottom paint is one of the important items. Sooo... I'm researching bottom paints as well as boat-yard costs. Found to date that careful shopping for materials and yards can provide substantial savings and ease of mind on quality factors; that is if you have the yard do the work. Also, hauling machine quality and quality/expertise of boat set-up on the hard are needed to know about the yard.

I'm a hands on type guy and don't mind at all getting down n' dirty with restorations on anything. I'm thinking that bottom job, boot stripe, through hull replacements, hull shine, and rub rail removal/re-bedding/re-fasting could best be accomplished by supervising a pair from my construction crew come to do it. Therefore - the yard must allow work on boat to be self-performed. Maybe, I will let the yard-labor install my chosen and self-purchased bottom paint... to help keep em $$$ income happy!

Shop, shop, shop for price on bottom paint. I've found that reasonable costs can be located.

:speed boat:

I pay about $350 annually for each of my boats with about half of that spent on pressure washing. Pressure washing used to cost about $30, put a few years ago the state put in a requirement that the yard capture the water and filter it. It cost the yards quite a lot to set up for that (concrete pad with drains to a sump that was then pumped through filters into settling tanks). My yard reuses the filtered water. Bottom paint comes down to the cost of two gallons of paint for the two boats plus roller covers, a cheap roller pan and tape. The actual taping and painting takes about an hour and half for each boat. I do it myself, but labor would only add about $165 to the job. I use Petit hydrocoat paint since I repaint every year.

28' boat, two coats of Petit Trinidad SR77 paint, $1K. Being done right now.

Haulout and pressure wash are extra.

This quote, for Hobo, was just before Christmas at Huckins in Jacksonville. The manager said the one coat was 3-4 gallons of paint. It comes out at $29/foot plus tax.

Bottom Job-Haul,pressure $1,218.00 _______________
wash,block,up to 2 hours sanding
time,paint 1 coat Petit Trinidad anti
fouling paint,change 2 shaft
zincs,launch,wash **There will be a
paint upcharge if there is anything
other than Pettit Trinidad used**

I did my own bottom paint job last October when I had the boat hauled for prop work. Five gallons of bottom paint at around $175/gallon, a bunch of rollers and plastic tray liners, tape, rubber gloves, masks, tape, etc., probably another $100.

I took my time, did a good job, worked at it about 4-5 hours a day. Three days and two coats later I was done and it looked great.

The cost of repainting the bottom on our 36' cabin cruiser including haulout, pressure wash, paint, labor and environmental fee is about $1,500.

We repaint or touch up the bootstripe ourselves. For reasons we don't understand yards tend to charge a lot to do this: $600 was the going rate a number of years ago. I'm told it's quite a bit more today. That's a hefty price for a simple job that takes us an hour at best.

I recently had mine done at the Canoe Cove yard for $400CDN/$300 US labour, which is pretty decent considering you're asking workers to paint with biocides, and the yard to deal with the ground and runoff clean-up.

The chore of replacing the zincs was included, and they sometimes put up a fight during removal (that was extra on one them). Finally, I had 5 seized seacocks bead-blasted and reinstalled for another $400, and was glad of their expertise for a job that had to be done during haul-out. They also sealed off a corner crack with some epoxy for free, and getting the props and shafts zinc painted was a nice option.

Calculate too that daily layover charges add to your bill when it's DIY. Being on the hard is stressful, and it's nice to think of it more as a bottom refit.

IMG_20151113_091309.jpg

Last edited:
Funny how layover charges are regional...though seem to be spreading.

Some yards are reasonable about them..my buddy in Charleston just ran into a crook yard...charging lay days for having a key but not using it...even with video surveillance proof. Sorry can't remember the yard name now.

As everyone pointed out....prices all over the map until you narrow down exact sequence and materials.

As much as I hate it...and not having to pay lay days...and using a decent ablative and pressure washing myself....can't imagine paying over $500 for a bottom job on a small 40 footer.

A word of advice when getting quotes for bottom painting...mandate that the yard uses waterline length and beam for cos" or something better than "lengtht....a 42 Kadyy Krogen has nearly 2X the bottom acreage than that of my hull area of a 40 foot Albin.

What really hurts is paying for lay days at your own marina while at the same time paying for your slip.

What really hurts is paying for lay days at your own marina while at the same time paying for your slip.

My yard doesn't charge for docking at their facility. Believe me they are making good money when working on my boat (meanwhile I'm paying for a vacant slip at my marina, of course.)

Last edited:
Just had my 37' cat done in Ft Myers for $2800, including Captain driving it both ways, hauling, blasting, two coats of the good stuff, etc.....

David

First I apologize if this has been hashed out before, I did not find any threads that were specific to my question. I'm getting ready to have a bottom job done, hopefully just a basic sand and repaint. I would like to hear what others have paid recently. Total cost or cost pet foot....thanks.

Dave

Dave, I do not know where you got that quote. I used OJ Young at Seabrook. He is basically about $35 plus haulout and block and relaunch(about $300???). Comes out to about $45 a foot. I am basing that on my 35 foot boat. He was doing other work on it and I asked him to do the bottom while he had it out. He blurted out $1600. And then I pointed out we had it hauled and blocked already. And then he came up with $1200. I divided those numbers by 35 to get my numbers above. He uses Micron Ultra Bio for those numbers. That is very decent paint. You might get him to use cheaper paint for a cheaper price but I have been using that stuff for 15 years and I get a SOLID 5 years out of it. I do use my boat a lot so that probably helps. Anyway, OJ ain't no dummy and he is been around a LONG time. Your boat draws a solid 5 feet...mine a smidge over 3 feet. That draft(and your beam) increases paint use significantly. He might hit you for a little more because of it. He contracts thru the yard. He is paying for daily fees. The sooner he gets the boat out, the more money he makes. So he will not have your boat for long....3 days maybe.

You can shop around at Clear Lake Marine and likely find cheaper. But you are dealing with less reliable people and they will use cheap paint. I would not go away from Micron Ultra Bio. The stuff works very well around here.

Micron Ultra Bio... That is very decent paint. ...I have been using that stuff for 15 years and I get a SOLID 5 years out of it. I would not go away from Micron Ultra Bio. The stuff works very well around here.

Hi John - I like your "5 year" number.

Guess you're boat is kept in full-on salt water?? Ours is in fresh water. Planning to do bottom next fall; shopping for best bottom paint now.

I googled "Micron Ultra Bio". Didn't find good link. Suggestions?

Micron Ultra Bio... That is very decent paint. ...I have been using that stuff for 15 years and I get a SOLID 5 years out of it. I would not go away from Micron Ultra Bio. The stuff works very well around here.

Hi John - I like your "5 year" number.

Guess you're boat is kept in full-on salt water?? Ours is in fresh water. Planning to do bottom next fall; shopping for best bottom paint now.

I googled "Micron Ultra Bio". Didn't find good link. Suggestions?

Sorry. I think I confused some along with marketing changing the names over the years. I think the slang term is "Ultra Bio". Basically, it is Interlux Ultra paint with Biocide.

Interlux Ultra With Biolux Antifouling Bottom Paint

Reactions: Art

While they're RENTING your slip to a transient!

My marina didn't charge me on the hard while I was paying for the slip.

Just had my boat done in August in Stuart, FL. 2 coats of West Marine PCA Ablative, new zincs, tapped out a very small prop ding, installed an exterior strainer over the Genset intake, primed and hard coated the props. $2,000.

Doug

Sorry. I think I confused some along with marketing changing the names over the years. I think the slang term is "Ultra Bio". Basically, it is Interlux Ultra paint with Biocide.

Interlux Ultra With Biolux Antifouling Bottom Paint

I had the bottom blasted, barrier coated with Interlux 2000 and then had 2 coats of the Ultra bio paint. I switched from Bottomcoat NT a ablative to the ultra and hope to get 3 to 5 years instead of the 2 years with the ablative paint. Total cost was $6200.00 which included some repairs to the hull and new anodes.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
My last two haulouts have been combined with other work, such that it is not possible to dissect the antifoul aspect. If I get 18 months here I`m happy. Also I supply the paint (Jotun Seaguardian).
For Sydney boaters, a compliment to Balmain Marina, who held the boat out of the water on the cradle (which is how many older yards haul here) with no charge, for an extra day, in adverse relaunch wind conditions. Maybe they could not have hauled another boat either, but it seemed right and fair.

Dave, I do not know where you got that quote. I used OJ Young at Seabrook. He is basically about $35 plus haulout and block and relaunch(about $300???). Comes out to about $45 a foot. I am basing that on my 35 foot boat. He was doing other work on it and I asked him to do the bottom while he had it out. He blurted out $1600. And then I pointed out we had it hauled and blocked already. And then he came up with $1200. I divided those numbers by 35 to get my numbers above. He uses Micron Ultra Bio for those numbers. That is very decent paint. You might get him to use cheaper paint for a cheaper price but I have been using that stuff for 15 years and I get a SOLID 5 years out of it. I do use my boat a lot so that probably helps. Anyway, OJ ain't no dummy and he is been around a LONG time. Your boat draws a solid 5 feet...mine a smidge over 3 feet. That draft(and your beam) increases paint use significantly. He might hit you for a little more because of it. He contracts thru the yard. He is paying for daily fees. The sooner he gets the boat out, the more money he makes. So he will not have your boat for long....3 days maybe.

You can shop around at Clear Lake Marine and likely find cheaper. But you are dealing with less reliable people and they will use cheap paint. I would not go away from Micron Ultra Bio. The stuff works very well around here.

Jim, Actually I ended up going with OJ based on his reputation and experience, I'm sure I could have price shopped the job but would prefer to use someone with his credentials. I took Hattini over there yesterday (1/18) and hope to get her back in the water by Friday. I am having the props cleaned up, balanced etc by Mike Hood so I hope there are no delays in that. Here are a couple of pictures out of the water....

Attachments

• IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 97
Very good choice with OJ and Mike Hood. There are no better in the business. And don't let OJ's demeanor freak you out...he is a teddy bear deep down...;)

Bottom Job and Prop tuning are complete and she is back in the water. The project list is getting shorter!! Must be time for a new list..

Attachments

• IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 75
I hope everything came out as expected!!!!

Back
Top Bottom